• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Update on General Assembly breakdown from today WaPo:

It was also a good night for Republicans in the General Assembly, who picked up seven seats in the House of Delegates and two seats in the state Senate. Most of those seats were in rural or more-conservative areas of the state.

With the pickups, Republicans hold 14 of 47 seats in the Senate and 50 of 141 seats in the House. The number of Republicans in the House is higher than it has ever been in Maryland but not high enough to hold off a veto override.

By my calculations it takes 85 votes to override a governor's veto (60%). Dems have 91 members, GOP has 50. So republicans would have to get 7 democrats to vote with the republicans to prevent an override. Not a big number considering there are still several relatively conservative house members in office.

In the senate the Dems need 29 votes to override. They have 33. So 5 are needed to switch to prevent override. A tougher task here.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Update on General Assembly breakdown from today WaPo:

By my calculations it takes 85 votes to override a governor's veto (60%). Dems have 91 members, GOP has 50. So republicans would have to get 7 democrats to vote with the republicans to prevent an override. Not a big number considering there are still several relatively conservative house members in office.

In the senate the Dems need 29 votes to override. They have 33. So 5 are needed to switch to prevent override. A tougher task here.

Thanks. Good information! I plan to go through results and do more analysis. Some of these elections were very close, and I think the democratic winners in those will be he swing votes should a veto override scenario arise

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Despite voting against FSA , having a "A" rating from NRA-PVF, and voting against the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, Olszewski (Democratic Senator in District 6) lost in the general election. As documented here, Olszewski voted against FSA-friendly amendments. I view this loss as a win for 2A.

Despite voting against FSA , having a "A-" rating from NRA-PVF, and voting against the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, J Mary-Dulany James (Democratic Senator in District 34) lost in the general election. As documented here, Mary-Dulany James voted against FSA-friendly amendments. I view this loss as a win for 2A.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom