• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    When did Wal Mart ever sell real BP ?

WalMart in La Plata, MD used to have GOEX behind the counter in the bottom of the display case locked up. I never saw more than 2-3 cans and I have never used it ever, but, my Father has an old .54 T/C Hawken and he did buy a can of GOEX not long after they first opened. I can vouch that they did sell it at one time.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I guess I should have been more specific. These two stores did not have any loose power in black powder or any thing else. SOMD I did not try going to Fred's I will try there next time I go through Waldorf. The hunting shop I stopped at was the one on rt5 in the Hughsville area. The Wal-Mart I went to was in Prince Frederick
    The My black powder rifle has not been fired in years so I am a little out of the loop on what was going on with what you can and can not legally buy in this state anymore. I thought I would ask the question because I was not sure. I also figured some one on here would know if Maryland snuck in some sort of new laws that the news neglected to report. I guess the part that really struck me as odd was that the only 2 places I went to both told me that the AFT came in and confiscated all of the black powder they had in the store.

Thank all of you for the replies.
    Steve

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I guess I should have been more specific. These two stores did not have any loose power in black powder or any thing else. SOMD I did not try going to Fred's I will try there next time I go through Waldorf. The hunting shop I stopped at was the one on rt5 in the Hughsville area. The Wal-Mart I went to was in Prince Frederick
    The My black powder rifle has not been fired in years so I am a little out of the loop on what was going on with what you can and can not legally buy in this state anymore. I thought I would ask the question because I was not sure. I also figured some one on here would know if Maryland snuck in some sort of new laws that the news neglected to report. I guess the part that really struck me as odd was that the only 2 places I went to both told me that the AFT came in and confiscated all of the black powder they had in the store.

Thank all of you for the replies.
    Steve

Got ya. The additional details say much now. I guess you are talking about that Sportsman's Liquidators there in Hughesville. I would not be shocked if any of these places simply told you they didn't have loose powder to force you in to buying the more expensive pellets, which also do not last as long as loose powder. I guess a lot places might be like that if know you'll go through pellets a lot faster than loose and make more money. I ask for loose powders specifically and no one has ever told me they don't have it when I go to places I know would have it. Dick's or WalMart for example are not two places I'd even consider looking for it.

Dec 31, 2012
    About a year ago or more I was in a Dicks Sporting Good and witnessed a customer to employee exchange over the missing Black Powder, and neither seemed to have a real grasp on the correct information.

Someone even posted a thread or two here about Dicks Sporting Good not carrying BP stuff, over a year ago.

If that was Dick's in BelAir last year then that may very well have been me. That's when the fire marshal did big box store inspections and found them in violation. I finally got solid answers from that thread and powders from BassPro. I also resolved to keep an extra can beyond shooting needs.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I worked for wal-mart while I was finishing my undergrad; the requirements changed in MD and the company did not feel the added expense and possible liability issues regarding the sale of black powder and BP-substitutes (e.g. all potential sellers required finger printing, so anyome that could operate a POS terminal) were worth cost of continuing to stock said materials.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Powder Inc sells it.
    Go in with a few friends and buy 10 or 25# at a time, and it gets down to $14 or so per lb, shipped, or did last time we ordered. Can mix sizes, so we get 2F and 3F.

Also a place just into PA. Guy bought 25# and we split it up between a bunch of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom