• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Depends on how the word "receive" is defined...

One legal definition is: To take into possession and control; accept custody of; collect.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Depends on how the word "receive" is defined...

One legal definition is: To take into possession and control; accept custody of; collect.

With what's happened lately with the AG saying one thing and the MSP saying another, they are erring on the side of caution. They are afraid that the advisory is not a defense for violating the letter of the law.

I said that if a cop gives me a warning for speeding instead of a citation, isn't he applying his discretion in applying the law?

Deer in the headlights again.

Clearly, their responses have been scripted. Go off-script and they're lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That is the rule for NY and CT and has been for years, I doubt you can construe it that way here however. Especially since they have already said you don't need an HQL to rent a handgun at a range. Leave it to Bass Pro to make things harder than they need to be however.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It's common practice here in NC to require a CHP or a purchase permit to handle any handguns displayed....however, it was explained to me that it's done here to weed out those who just want to finger the guns with no intention of purchasing. The sales people don't want to be tied up when there are paying customers.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Not sure I get this, unless they rent guns long term for people to take home with them. To rent there and use on their premises an HQL isn't required.

Likely trying to get ahead of the state closing the "rental loophole".

proclus

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore City
    This is an unfortunate result of the new law. Expect some handgun dealers to promote handgun licenses, because without them, they have no customers.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Maybe just a confused employee instead of the "rogue lawyer" employee??

Well, it was the whole sales staff. The manager came by and confirmed that it came down from corporate--just like their 11-day release. I told him it was legal on the eighth day. He said they gave it a couple more days as a caution.

TANK222

Dec 19, 2012
    Frederick
    Local gun shop in Frederick just locked all his up. If you don't have a license he's not wasting his time. I really see where's he's coming from. Why would you go test drive a car if you can't buy it?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Local gun shop in Frederick just locked all his up. If you don't have a license he's not wasting his time. I really see where's he's coming from. Why would you go test drive a car if you can't buy it?

Because one day soon you just might buy it. You remember who treated you well and who was an ass.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012

1) Because people are still trying to get them.
    2) Does he require to see proof of payment up front too?

Not bagging on anyone in particular but the average level of customer service in the firearms retail industry is pretty crappy. Someone these people wouldn't make a living selling anything else.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Seems like there is always some kind of problem with BP...I know I've had mine in the past and have always refused to buy from them because of it.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick

Which one in frederick?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I think that would be better said as "Why would a car dealership allow you to test drive a car that you cannot buy?"

Pretty sure we would all love to test drive a Ferrari.

End of the day, I think BPS's interpretation of the law is pretty far off. However, this might be a straight up business decision on its part. Why let people fondle handguns that do not have the HQL or meet one of the exceptions. It takes over 30 days for a person to get an HQL and the sales staff can spend their time doing something more productive.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I think that would be better said as "Why would a car dealership allow you to test drive a car that you cannot buy?"

Pretty sure we would all love to test drive a Ferrari.

End of the day, I think BPS's interpretation of the law is pretty far off. However, this might be a straight up business decision on its part. Why let people fondle handguns that do not have the HQL or meet one of the exceptions. It takes over 30 days for a person to get an HQL and the sales staff can spend their time doing something more productive.

Yeah, but there's a difference between looking at the Ferrari and driving it off the lot. These people aren't asking to test fire the gun.

And what about someone who may be from out of state who is considering purchasing? What if it's someone who is from Maryland and has now moved elsewhere, and they wanted to stop by the shop while they're back in town?

I understand being reluctant, and I don't fault any dealers who won't let anyone touch the gun when they can't buy it right then and there, but I also think that's not necessarily the best policy if the dealer is looking to make future sales from said customers.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, but there's a difference between looking at the Ferrari and driving it off the lot. These people aren't asking to test fire the gun.

And what about someone who may be from out of state who is considering purchasing? What if it's someone who is from Maryland and has now moved elsewhere, and they wanted to stop by the shop while they're back in town?

I understand being reluctant, and I don't fault any dealers who won't let anyone touch the gun when they can't buy it right then and there, but I also think that's not necessarily the best policy if the dealer is looking to make future sales from said customers.

You can look at the handguns in the case, just like you can look at the Ferrari. Bet they wouldn't even allow you to sit in the Ferrari until they ran a credit check on you. Heck, when I went to buy my Mustang, they wouldn't even let me take it for a test drive at some dealerships.

If it is somebody that has moved from Maryland and just happens to be back in the state, they could not buy it anyway. They can wait to fondle the handgun until they get back to their free state.

I'm just glad that BPS went to an 11 day release policy and tried to clear the backlog before October 1, 2013 came around. It took them a while to understand this law, and it is taking a lot of other companies a while to understand this law. Les Baer and a couple other manufacturers had cancelled their backorders to Maryland on October 1, 2013. JP Rifle had a "Will not ship to Maryland" disclaimer up on its website back in August. Give these places some time to sort through all this.

In the alternative, have your attorney contact its attorney and explain the law to them. Better yet, draft up a well researched and explained memorandum of law to BPS's corporate counsel explaining the entire mess to them and why it is completely fine for somebody without an HQL to hold a handgun in the store.

By the way, the references made to "you" are more of a general "you" to all the haters on this thread. We are only a week into SB281 going into effect and everybody thinks that this should all be figured out already. Trust me, there is some grey areas. In this situation, it is all about the definition of "receive" on the customer's end. Who knows, maybe BPS is looking out for its customers on this one.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They actually said it was a corporate decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is the same corporate that says if you mess up 2 times on paperwork (based on their "standards" of what should be entered where and what format beyond the feds) you cant have a gun. I hope the manager of BP takes the longest gun they can find and shoves it to its butt.........in his butt.

That said.........its really the State of Maryland that is degrading honest commerce by making unclear standards. Should a company be accountable for their complicity sure but ultimately vote the douchebags out of office (Frosh, MOM, and a couple dozen others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom