• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Is it one signature per a page or can you put more then one on a page?

I believe if you "collect" signatures, other than your own, you are then a "circulator".

Here's the document from the Board of Elections describing the petition process and what is required:

http://www.elections.state.md.us/pdf/6-201-3A.pdf

You can use your form to collect other people's signatures, provided they reside in the same county. If they reside in a different county, you must start a new form. Note there is a field on the form for the county.

Don't forget to fill in the bottom, the affadavit section also.

And print double sided. The signature page will be disqualified if the summary isn't on the same piece of paper.

Last edited:

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    I believe if you "collect" signatures, other than your own, you are then a "circulator".

Here's the document from the Board of Elections describing the petition process and what is required:

There was a bill proposed during this year's session to make it more difficult to raise signatures by not allowing a "circulator" to sign... It never made it out of committee...

Anyway, I will call the BOE today and find out if the "circulator" can indeed sign it for informational purposes.

Nonetheless, it appears that if you obtain more than 1 signature on the form, you also need to submit an affidavit with the form attesting to the fact that you witnessed the others signing the form.

Really that is stupid but whatever I have a couple of people I need to tell this to.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Also note, the form must be double sided! Here's the specific excerpt from the BOE instructions:

Each signature page must contain either:
     The full text of the Act; or
     A fair and accurate summary of the substantive provisions of the Act, which has been approved by the Attorney General. If the petition sponsor elects to print a summary of the Act on each signature page, each circulator must have the full text of the Act present at the time and place that each signature is placed on the page. The signature page must state that the full text is available from the circulator.

The text or summary MUST BE printed or copied onto the back of each signature page. If a signature page does not contain the required text or summary when it reaches the local election board for verification, the signatures on the page will be invalidated.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

There was a bill proposed during this year's session to make it more difficult to raise signatures by not allowing a "circulator" to sign... It never made it out of committee... The folks in Annapolis were not happy with the referendum process, apparently it was too easy for the people to express their opinions.

Anyway, I will call the BOE today and find out if the "circulator" can indeed sign it for informational purposes. and update this post with what I learn.

Nonetheless, it appears that if you obtain more than 1 signature on the form, you also need to submit an affidavit with the form attesting to the fact that you witnessed the others signing the form.

what about family members can we all sign it or does my wife and daughter sign then I sign as circulator then sign another and have my wife sign as the circulator?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    what about family members can we all sign it or does my wife and daughter sign then I sign as circulator then sign another and have my wife sign as the circulator?

If you are going to collect more than 1 signature on the form (including yours), use 1 form (unless you live in different counties, see above). After you collect them all, here's the applicable excerpt from the procedures document:

Circulator's Affidavit
    Each signature page of the petition must include an affidavit, completed by a circulator who is an individual (not a business or organization), stating that:
    1. All identifying information given by the circulator is true and correct;
    2. Signatures were placed on the petition in the circulator’s presence; and
    3. Based on the circulator’s best knowledge and belief, each signature on the page is genuine and each signer is a registered voter in Maryland.
    The circulator must sign and date the affidavit, but should wait until after all petition signers have signed and dated the page. Any signature on the page that is dated after the circulator’s affidavit is invalid.
    A petition circulator must be at least 18 years old when any signature covered by the affidavit is placed on the petition. Maryland law does not require the petition circulator to be a registered voter or a Maryland resident

The affidavit is on the bottom of the form. So 1 person fills in the bottom.

Remember to print both sides on the same piece of paper, they WILL disqualify the signatures if the summary does not appear on the other side of the signature page.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

You can use your form to collect other people's signatures, provided they reside in the same county. If they reside in a different county, you must start a new form. Note there is a field on the form for the county.

Don't forget to fill in the bottom, the affadavit section also.

And print double sided. The signature page will be disqualified if the summary isn't on the same piece of paper.

Anybody that does not have the means to print this stuff double sided, please send me a PM with your name and address and I will get you a blank form, printed on both sides, via USPS first class mail.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Also note that you can be a circulator without being a signator....

So if you would like to continue to collect signatures, you may submit as many forms as you want, but only sign one as a signator. Then you would only fill in and sign the affidavit section.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Sounds like to be on the safe side each person could do their own separate sheet of paper, then no circulator signature needed, I presume.
    I agree that it would be more paperwork, but might eliminate discarding of signatures by officials. Just my take!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I received an email from Gun Owners of America supporting the referendum to repeal the #Maryland Gun Ban. http://freestatepetitions.com/

One great thing about the referendum is that delayed implementation of the law would give many of us a chance to buy more guns. I plan to sign it.

Regards,
    proclus
    http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

What would be great about the referendum is if we get the entire bill overturned. Then we get a lot longer to buy whatever we want and we send the morons in Annapolis a pretty clear message.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I blogged a copy of the email for your examination. Feel free to tweet this.

Effort to Repeal the #Maryland Gun Ban is Underway - #2a #nra #rkba #tcot #tgdn #nraam #molonlabe http://bit.ly/11jY2i7

Regards,
    proclus
    http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

Very nice and thank you. However, I would not limit it to Gun Owners of America. My mom, sisters, and wife have never owned a gun and they are all against SB281. In fact, it has motivated my wife and 2 sisters to buy their first handguns. So, they are soon to be gun owners.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Pens should be used on all petitions. No pencil or magic markers.

If you plan to submit your form with more than one signature, you are indeed a "circulator"

Rules for Circulator
    1. Circulator must be registered voter.
    2. Download the petition front and back on same sheet.
    3. Download Senate Bill 281 front and back.
    4. Senate Bill 281 must be carried with circulator at all times when getting the people to sign the petition.
    5. All Circulators must sign their name, address, city state, (bottom left hand of page)
    6. Circulator must specify what county the petition signer are in. Upper left hand corner of petition. (Example all Baltimore County must sign a Baltimore County petitions, Montgomery County signers must sign a Montgomery County petition and so forth).
    7. Ask signer of petition if they are a registered voter if they say yes they may sign the petition.
    8. Signer of petition must print their name as it appears on their voter’s card (first name, middle name or initial, and last name) address, city and zip date of birth and date of signature must be printed also.
    9. On the signature line they must sign their name.
    After the 5 signature is signed then the Circulator must sign the Circulators affidavit with their name and date.

You can download the petition and Senate Bill 281at
    http://freestatepetitions.com/free-state-petitions.html

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Let me be clear about one thing, I continue to remain a fence sitter in this and am not advocating that folks sign the petition.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Let me be clear about one thing, I continue to remain a fence sitter in this and am not advocating that folks sign the petition. As a Chief Election Judge and Voter Registration Volunteer, I work for/with the BOE. I am also in direct contact with the organizer, believe in the process and sharing information to allow others to be informed, and will continue to provide objective information as it becomes available.

Yeah, I am going to try to get you off the fence at some point.

Thinking about driving around several neighborhoods in my area and shoving copies of the petition and instructions in mailboxes. Can I do this? Is there a specific procedure that needs to take place for me to do this? My wife and I have time on the weekends sometimes, so I might be able to get several hundred more signatures for the cause this way.

Thoughts? Advice?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Yeah, I am going to try to get you off the fence at some point.

Thinking about driving around several neighborhoods in my area and shoving copies of the petition and instructions in mailboxes. Can I do this? Is there a specific procedure that needs to take place for me to do this? My wife and I have time on the weekends sometimes, so I might be able to get several hundred more signatures for the cause this way.

Thoughts? Advice?

You cannot put anything IN people's mailboxes that hasn't run through USPS, that's a postal crime.

If you are a circulator, follow the process above. If you want to just drop off forms, you must also drop off the enrolled bill...

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I thought electronic signatures were accepted, why is this one print and mail? Is there a certain number required to be in print and the rest electronic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom