• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I apologize in advance. This is mostly me just venting my frustation, but Im also wondering if this has happened to anyone else here.

I have the beautiful 943. Last friday I noticed that the pressure needed to pull the axis lock back was unusually light. The lock also felt like there was sand in the action. Upon further inspection, I found that one of the Omega springs had snapped in two. What the heck, man? Its less than 2 years old. I have read in other forums that this happens, but chalked it up to the owners doing something silly. Well, it happened to me and nothing silly was done. Honestly, I'm kinda taken back that such an expensive knife has such cheap/fragile locking springs. I know MANY axis lock knives have come out of their factory with no issues, but I didnt get those knives. I got this one. That broke when I needed it. Ive never had my Buck 110 break on me and they are $50. I never had my Victorinox Swisschamp break on me and they are $70. I never had my Leatherman Wave break on me and they are $100. My almost $200 knife broke. And I had to pay to ship it back for warranty. Yes, I know they will fix it. I know they will return the knife in excellent condition with a nice new sharpening job done on it. I also know that my experience is an exception, not the norm for Benchmade knives. But in my own little world, my first almost $200 knife shouldn't have to be on its way for warranty work. Still, I cant wait to get it back. I have not found a knife yet that feels as good as a 940/943 series in the hand. Ok my rant is over. Im sorry.

On a side note, there is a brand new Spyderco Para 3 on its way to me. Seems like it has less tiny, fragile parts.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I have a couple of Benchmade. Lost a screw for the clip and couldn't get through to them for a replacement. Sourced one from the internet but not exact same head. After the gun cutting up crap, I decided no more. Now buying Microtech. Awesome. More expensive but more better.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I think I bought this one just before I found out about all the gun crap. I still want a standard 940 but that will be it for Benchmade for me. I hate that I love this knife so much. Im not sure I should even look at Microtech if they are more than Benchmade! lol The 943 and now this Para 3 is a major stretch for me. $200+ for a knife, in my opinion, is just asinine. Honestly the <$200 price of my 943 and this new Para 3 is asinine too. But I guess we cant help what we like. :rolleyes:

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I think I bought this one just before I found out about all the gun crap. I still want a standard 940 but that will be it for Benchmade for me. I hate that I love this knife so much. Im not sure I should even look at Microtech if they are more than Benchmade! lol The 943 and now this Para 3 is a major stretch for me. $200+ for a knife, in my opinion, is just asinine. Honestly the <$200 price of my 943 and this new Para 3 is asinine too. But I guess we cant help what we like. :rolleyes:

Yes, I love my Crooked River (that's the one that lost a screw). I picked that up from A1 uniform when the found NOS lost in a cabinet. Good deal. My BIL got me turned on to Microtech. They are expensive but they hold their value. I can generally sell it for what I paid as long as I don't abuse it. The side folders are the cheaper (relative) options. MT owner's son started Heretic knives. Slightly cheaper and reportedly possibly better.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I own somewhere in the realm of 60+ Benchmades with a good portion being Blue Class limited runs, and a few Gold Glass. Benchmade knives ARE very well made knives, and while I've never had an omega spring break (yet), when it does I know BM will stand behind the repair. I have used their warranty service and life sharp services for others issue though - no complaints.

All man made things will break at some point, but it is the "make of the man" who stands up to the task to make it right.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have bought a couple dozen standard and limited production Benchmades over the last 30 years or so. Problem is they have been suffering from some bonehead decisions recently. Started around 10 years ago when they pretty much purged any dealer not following their BS MAP price fixing, then jacked up their prices 20%+ across the board. Then it seemed quality took a crap, grinds got uneven and sloppy, screws protruding through the liners, and then they decided it was a good idea to make a big deal out of destroying seized guns as a Woke PR move. Most of my folder purchases over the last few years have been Spyderco or ZT as a result, they have MAP pricing, but deals can be found, and IMO a better quality vs price ratio. They do take care of things under warranty, and their blade replacement program is great, but they won't send out small parts besides clips, and still have to pay to ship it back. Have had a single Omega spring break on a high mileage Griptilian, and bought some spares from eBay for a couple bucks to have on hand. I do like the axis lock, and you can find a couple other companies that produce them by other names being the patent expired, or locks that function similar like Spyderco's Ball bearing lock.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I have a couple of Benchmade. Lost a screw for the clip and couldn't get through to them for a replacement. Sourced one from the internet but not exact same head. After the gun cutting up crap, I decided no more. Now buying Microtech. Awesome. More expensive but more better.

Sent a Microtech for service over a year ago, and can't get them to respond with any update. Great when they work, they cost a lot, maybe some day I will have mine back.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I had an omega spring break a few years ago (after owning the knife for over six years) and had to send it back for warranty. It’s dumb they can’t just send that little spring or even an Axis lock for me to install myself.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I just realized this morning that the 943 was the only folding knife with a pocket clip that I currently own. I have to admit. This is my first work day without the 943. Despite having my Wave with me, I still feel naked. I cant wait to get the Para 3 or my Benchmade back. I imagine that the Para will get here first. I have no clue what the current turn around is.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have several Benchmade axis lock knives. These days I mostly carry the Contego, and use it constantly. No problem with the lock. I did send it back to them for a free sharpening. I paid the shipping to send it; they paid for return shipping, no charge to me.

I think they want to replace the springs themselves under warranty, not wanting to be sued by Bubba when he screws up the job.

I haven't bought any of their knives in a couple years now, as I have all that I need, so I can't speak to current quality control.

I think the gun destruction thing was way overblown, but obviously many disagree. IIRC, it was a request from the local PD, done as a public service.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Sent a Microtech for service over a year ago, and can't get them to respond with any update. Great when they work, they cost a lot, maybe some day I will have mine back.

That’s just insane. If you FB have you joined the group? Sometimes public shaming helps. If you haven’t you need to be invited. Happy to do so just PM me.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    All man made things will break at some point, but it is the "make of the man" who stands up to the task to make it right.

Naturally things will break. But at about 4x the cost of the average pocket knife, it should last longer than it did. Like I said in my OP, my situation is probably an exception to the normal quality for a 943. No doubt they will make it right. Love 'em or hate 'em, Benchmade is known for good customer service. At least thats what bladeforum tells me, lol. This is my first experience so we shall see! :thumbsup:

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Received my Spyderco Para 3 in the mail yesterday. Smoky Mountain Knife Works got it to me quick! This thing is beautiful! It won’t replace the 943 but no doubt Ill like it just as much. Been a week for my warranty on my Benchmade and no update yet. Glad I bought the Para to hold me over til I get my 943 back.

Attachments

• BEDF6F4F-4934-4C4E-ABBC-7084A14AA2D0.jpeg
      BEDF6F4F-4934-4C4E-ABBC-7084A14AA2D0.jpeg
      38 KB · Views: 173

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Received my Spyderco Para 3 in the mail yesterday. Smoky Mountain Knife Works got it to me quick! This thing is beautiful! It won’t replace the 943 but no doubt Ill like it just as much. Been a week for my warranty on my Benchmade and no update yet. Glad I bought the Para to hold me over til I get my 943 back.

Para 3s are pretty sweet. For comparison, traded for a ZT0470, bearing washers are a little scored on a USED KNIFE, contacted ZT full disclosure, they sent the parts out for free. IMO ZT has the best warranty, but if something goes out of production, they can't replace blades soon after. Most every repair is free including sharpening, a new blade is $37 for any knife if it wasn't a "defect". Benchmade is similar, but won't send anything other than a clip. They did surprise me as they replaced the damaged blade on a BM42 bali that was close to 30 years old. Spyderco is probably the worst warranty of my 3 favorite brands, they charge $20 for anything that isn't a clear defect, and will re-profile blades, but won't replace them unless they are defective, then they replace the knife itself.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

Did you return it Microtech yourself or through a Microtech authorized dealer?

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    ...Spyderco is probably the worst warranty of my 3 favorite brands, they charge $20 for anything that isn't a clear defect, and will re-profile blades, but won't replace them unless they are defective, then they replace the knife itself.

I missed that part. That is really stupid not to replace a blade. If I ever accientally broke my Para's blade and they wouldn't replace it, even for a moderate fee, I certainly would not buy another Spyderco. I dont expect anything for free, but dang, Im not paying another $165.

I actually just broke down and ordered the standard BM 940 yesterday. I have wanted that knife for years, found a coupon for Smoky Mountain Knife Works, and decided now is the right time. I think I am done buying knives for a very long time now.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I think I am done buying ________ for a very long time now.

Famous last MDS post words. Applies to guns, vehicles, bourbon, hand held radios, holsters, spouses, lobster rolls, streaming media services, and bourbon, as well as bourbon.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I missed that part. That is really stupid not to replace a blade. If I ever accientally broke my Para's blade and they wouldn't replace it, even for a moderate fee, I certainly would not buy another Spyderco. I dont expect anything for free, but dang, Im not paying another $165.

I actually just broke down and ordered the standard BM 940 yesterday. I have wanted that knife for years, found a coupon for Smoky Mountain Knife Works, and decided now is the right time. I think I am done buying knives for a very long time now.

Think Eric Glesser said one issue with blade replacement is that they have to be fitted when manufactured, and the factories spread throughout the world have their own sources for steels, and their own equipment setup for whatever models they produce. The owners are pretty active in the knife community, and have done a lot of cool collaborations.
    They used to frown on users taking apart the knives, and were famous for gobs of red loc-tite on screws, but have gotten much easier to deal with, and are getting more in-line with the best makes in the industry. Ends up much easier to just replace a defective knife than to replace a blade. ZT and BM only produce from a single location in the US, and have custom shops to work on anything, so much easier. I would't neccesarily pass up Spyderco because of their warranty, it still covers defects and repairs, just not an inexpensive blade replacement whenever you choose. They do have a lot of good stuff, a ton of sprints and exclusives, and frequent discounted clearance models, I just stick to their $200 and less offerings, but that gives you most of the catalog, and a lot of great knives that are affordable enough to actually use, and some really great steels to play with.

You now have a respectable EDC rotation, i'll give it a month till you get the next one, you will be chasing sprint run drops in the next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom