Just when you think everything is good, BAM!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well returning from the East Coast Steel Challenge Main event Sunday night I got about 1 mile from my house and was involved in a crash with a DUI driver. Person drove right thru a stop sign with no lights on as I got to the intersection. Managed to walk away with only an airbag burn on my left wrist and inhaled some of that propellant gas it uses. Had to crawl out the driver's side window of my Explorer. I think my Explorer has passed on to a better life. The driver, female, gave the cops a lot of sh*t and ended up being charged with Aggravated DUI and hauled off in cuffs. Just hope she has insurance (fairly new Ford Fusion so likely). If I had not taken a slightly different route home to stop by the 7-11 by the VA Med Center where I work and pickup some ice-cream I would not have been on that road and its possible somebody might have been killed or seriously injured later on.
    Up till that point I was so happy. I won a Colt 1911 Competition Pistol off the prize table. I had had a premonition I was going to win one leading up to the event and including the day I arrived. This for a guy who has not won a firearm since 2010 at a match. Now if I could only get a premonition about the lotteries.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    great job winning a gun!!! sorry to hear about the accident but sound like you're not too banged up, like everything else, could have been worse or a lot worse.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Wow, sorry about the vehicle, glad you are okay and congrats on the win! (I never win nottin... lol)

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Well returning from the East Coast Steel Challenge Main event Sunday night I got about 1 mile from my house and was involved in a crash with a DUI driver. Person drove right thru a stop sign with no lights on as I got to the intersection. Managed to walk away with only an airbag burn on my left wrist and inhaled some of that propellant gas it uses. Had to crawl out the driver's side window of my Explorer. I think my Explorer has passed on to a better life. The driver, female, gave the cops a lot of sh*t and ended up being charged with Aggravated DUI and hauled off in cuffs. Just hope she has insurance (fairly new Ford Fusion so likely). If I had not taken a slightly different route home to stop by the 7-11 by the VA Med Center where I work and pickup some ice-cream I would not have been on that road and its possible somebody might have been killed or seriously injured later on.
    Up till that point I was so happy. I won a Colt 1911 Competition Pistol off the prize table. I had had a premonition I was going to win one leading up to the event and including the day I arrived. This for a guy who has not won a firearm since 2010 at a match. Now if I could only get a premonition about the lotteries.

Love that attitude ! Glad you're okay, and yes, you never know, your little mishap may have saved someone else.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    So glad you were not seriously injured. You are right pointing out how suddenly things can change. Not always for the better. Enjoy your new gun insurance will take care of the rest.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This goes back to the old statistic that most accidents happen within 10 miles of where you live. Familiarity breeds contempt or maybe complacency in this case. You relax when you get near home or your neighbors drive and act like idiots when they are near home maybe.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    This goes back to the old statistic that most accidents happen within 10 miles of where you live. Familiarity breeds contempt or maybe complacency in this case. You relax when you get near home or your neighbors drive and act like idiots when they are near home maybe.

That's largely due to the fact that you do most of your driving close to home. Thus, most accident happen close to home (where you do most of your driving).

Good to hear that you are relatively ok. Inhaling the gas from the airbag deployment sucks. I speak from experience, unfortunately.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Sounds like 10 years of highs and lows in one day.

Congrats on the pistol. Glad you're OK. Next time follow your instincts and get the ice cream.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It could have been worse. You could have had your less than 3 month old Subaru WRX totaled by a jerk in an Expedition and get blamed for the accident, even though you were just sitting at a light, minding your own business.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It could have been worse. You could have had your less than 3 month old Subaru WRX totaled by a jerk in an Expedition and get blamed for the accident, even though you were just sitting at a light, minding your own business.

I bet that is one interesting story.
    Going to get less than $3k out of this. Means I will need to go up to Mason-Dixon Auto Auction to find a replacement SUV, probably another Explorer in the 2003-2007 range.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If at was not enough to happen to me in the last 30 days, I had an engine bay fire in my 2013 Mustang GT at the 7-11 gas pumps next to my work. Never did get any gas in it. Had to use the stations ready extinguisher to get it out and it was not pretty. Melted all the plastic parts and tanks in the front of the engine, damaged the nose, melted the vents in the hood and pretty much took out all the front wiring harness. Not to mention after I got it out the fire company sprayed water in to cool it off. Afraid its going to get totaled by the insurance company also.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :sad20:

Attachments

• wowsie.jpg
      wowsie.jpg
      18.7 KB · Views: 290

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics