• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Walther PQ22 or S&W Compact 22

Thoughts on pros/cons for these 2 as suppressed pistols (Walther PPQ22 or S&W Compact22)? I have seen great comments for both. I have handled the S&W and love the feel of it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I would say neither. I would buy a used S&W 2206, 422, or 622. Better trigger, better gun, already has a threaded barrel you just need an adapter.
    If I had to choose between the two listed, I would go with the Ruger SR22 over the M&P Compact. I had the Compact and sold it. Very comfortable gun but didn't care for the trigger.
    The Ruger seems to have a better trigger and is comfortable.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I have been debating over these models also. I believe i have figured it out for myself and here is my thinking.

The PPQ trigger is hands down a better trigger out of the box than the trigger in the M&P. The truly deciding factor for me is the manual safety on the side of the M&P (no option w/out it I don't think). The PPQ has no manual safety.

Better trigger, and no safety has me leaning toward the PPQ.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Love my S&W M&P 22 Compact. That's all I'll say.

S&W on the right. Sig Sauer 1911-22 on the left. Both great 22 suppressor hosts.

2016-09-19.jpg

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have the ppq .22 threaded version and it's very accurate and very reliable. I've run about 1,000 rounds suppressed and unsuppressed without a single failure (cleaned only once). Plus it has 12 round mags which is nice.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Though not mentioned, I had the full size M&P22. While it was comfortable, I ended up not liking having to remove the thread adapter to clean it. Not to mention the Umarex wrench bent enough that it was a pain to take the adapter off. And I had a SiCo adapter get stuck to the point that I mangled the threads trying to get it off with pliers and electrical tape. I put grease on the threads and that helped to keep adapters from getting stuck again, but I was always worried about it happening.

I ended up getting a 22/45 Lite so I didn't have to worry about an adapter.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    How is it? Looking for something for my 7 yr old to shoot.

For someone that young, I'd personally prefer a rifle, as it's easier to ensure that the muzzle direction is safe. A nice bolt-action with a suppressor is about as quiet as possible. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Of course, my opinion does not dictate your action, nor do I know the level of training and maturity of your 7 yr old.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    For someone that young, I'd personally prefer a rifle, as it's easier to ensure that the muzzle direction is safe. A nice bolt-action with a suppressor is about as quiet as possible. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Of course, my opinion does not dictate your action, nor do I know the level of training and maturity of your 7 yr old.

Had a bolt 22 for 2 years now. He is very conscious of the safety rules. Agree with your statement in general though, most aren't ready at that age for a pistol

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    How is it? Looking for something for my 7 yr old to shoot.

I think it's a great little shooter. The stock trigger might be a little stout for a 7 year old. I let a guy at the range use mine to teach a 9 year old how to shoot and the kid had a bit of a tough time with the initial pull. If you ride the reset on the trigger follow up shots are much easier.
    Here is pic of a little over 300 rounds into a target some were done at 15 and some at 20 yards. It is a 12" target and I tried out 6 -7 types of ammo that day. Some of the group variation was due to the different ammo, some was fatigue, and I am sure some was the gun getting hot. I sent over 300 rounds down range in just over an hour. The only ammo that I had any problems with was the federal American eagle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      112.9 KB · Views: 120

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I think it's a great little shooter. The stock trigger might be a little stout for a 7 year old. I let a guy at the range use mine to teach a 9 year old how to shoot and the kid had a bit of a tough time with the initial pull. If you ride the reset on the trigger follow up shots are much easier.
    Here is pic of a little over 300 rounds into a target some were done at 15 and some at 20 yards. It is a 12" target and I tried out 6 -7 types of ammo that day. Some of the group variation was due to the different ammo, some was fatigue, and I am sure some was the gun getting hot. I sent over 300 rounds down range in just over an hour. The only ammo that I had any problems with was the federal American eagle.

Thanks for the input. I read that you can polish the trigger and lighten it up a pound or so. May try that if there are issues.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Would you happen to have a 226? If so, sig sells a 22 conversion for it with a threaded barrel. I have it and love it. 9mm to 22 in seconds ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom