• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    2016 Deer Sighting Report!

Seems like the bachelors are bunching up already. I couldn't get any pictures but I glassed 2 nice bucks about 6:10am today. One seems to be a nice tall 6 pointer and the other looked to be a nicer 6 or 8 pointer. He wouldn't come out like the other. He stayed on the edge of the trees.

They were in the back of the property about 120-130 yards away.

Last edited:

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Does are all over North Potomac/Gaithersburg this past week. Esp on the sides of the roads eating. Rolled past a house last night, one neighborhood over from mine and they had about 6 in their yard. One was laying down at the front steps. The woman apparently hand feeds them. Haven't seen the boys herd up yet like I did last year at this time. We had a huge 6pter, 1 decent 6pt, and decent 4pt camping out in the easement behind our fence last year at this time. Then they vanished early September.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    Had a doe and a fawn walking through our neighborhood Friday up by High Point Elementary. Not exactly prime hunting area, unfortunately.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't worry, they will all be hiding come September. I"m seeing them all over the place. I saw them out in the heat yesterday in fields around 3PM even.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't understand the deer near my house. They have 400 acres to parade about, but they come up to my house this time of year and stick around until September or early October. I guess it's time to put out the trail camera and see if my 10 pointer is back this year. Best deer feeder has been my bird feeder in the back yard. They walk past the corn to get to this bird feed. It's set up at 25 yards from my shed. The shed with a window on the side. The window that opens up to the bird feeder. Well, you get the idea.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    The deer have destroyed most of my plants again this year. I put up fences around a couple beds and a couple trees to offer some protection after the fact but now that they have lowered the safety zone to 50 yards in Calvert County for archery hunting (best news ever) I am getting a crossbow and tree stand. Maybe if I shoot 15-20 of them my plants will do a little better next year.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I was driving to work 2 weeks ago on Marriottsville Rd and a deer ran into the left side of my car. I didn't see it until "DEER" pop'd into my mind. Saw her in the rear view jumping back into the woods. Minimal damage, it hit hard and would have figured a nice big dent. When I looked at my car in the Metro station I though wow how did that deer hit me and leave only a small dent. Any way that has been the only deer I've seen for months.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've been seeing them for a while now, but this is the 1st time I've seen more than 1 buck at a time. I've seen a lot of does this summer, but not as many fawns as last year at this time.

I've got to set up that trail camera tomorrow.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I saw about 8 in the parking lot of the Abingdon Library. Me and the little one were chasing Pokemon when she froze in her tracks and pointed in their direction. She said, "Look daddy, all those deer!!!"

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They are all over the 'burbs here.. been watching does and little ones pretty regularly and last week I woke up, was looking out the bedroom window over the pond and a buck appears... then another... in the end I had 4 bucks in the yard, two eights, one with nice width, a weird racked eight (likely an old injury) and a smaller 6. All in velvet and all still growing. Shame I can't hunt them in the backyard... :lol2:

Friend lives a mile or two up the road, setup a trail cam and caught these the other morning in his yard..

Attachments

• MFDC6730.jpg
      MFDC6730.jpg
      161 KB · Views: 642

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Monday night: I saw a nice 8pt, small 6pt, 3 does and 2 fawns.

Tuesday night: I saw a 10, (2) 8's and a small 6pt.

Whoever said the worst day hunting is still better than the best day at work has never hunted when it's near 100°F outside.

Last week I shot a doe. When I shot her there were 16 deer in the field. (6) bucks 2.5yo+, (5) small buck, the res does and fawns.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Visited with a buddy yesterday morning around 10:30, had two fawns and this young spike feeding in his trees.. couple miles south of where I live.. more suburban settlers.. :lol2:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 618

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Crop Damage permits..

A friend has been using some of my permits. He's been using a drone to observe the fields in the morning. Its not unusual for him to count 40-50 deer in about a 20 minute flight over my 165 acre farm.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Seen a few bucks, mostly smaller 6 pointers. My buddy pulled a nice 10 pointer and an 8 on his cam in PG County. I'd guess the 10 was probably 4 years old or so, the 8 maybe 2-3 years old. Was up in PA this past weekend and there's a doe with 3 fawns that regularly is appearing in my family's yard. Too bad it's in the burbs.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    In my backyard this afternoon. He is the wider of the three 8's I had there last week. Still growing too
    1c92823f99b4894e25f5211dcfe3981a.jpg

Sent from 21st century technology

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom