• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    There's over 100 police departments in MD alone...so yeah...it hasn't won a military contract and by and large most agencies don't issue it.

Good point. There approximately 18k police depts in the US so s&w has less than 2% of them covered...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If they really cared about a good combo, they'd just go with gen4 g17s firing 115+p dpx loads and call it a day. Limiting our military to FMJ is retarded....especially when our LEOs use HPs.

I agree.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If they really cared about a good combo, they'd just go with gen4 g17s firing 115+p dpx loads and call it a day. Limiting our military to FMJ is retarded....especially when our LEOs use HPs.

They need to stop having those darned conventions that place limits on what is acceptable to use in war. The primary object of war should be to WIN!

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    M&P may be "popular" according to the article, but I never like mine and certainly never viewed as "crawl in the dirt reliable". Good riddance. Way better choices out there.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've always had S&Ws, always liked them. Still have them, still like them.
    Guess I like crappy triggers.......

TD

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Maybe S&W should partner with Apex to offer a complete firearm. Advanced trigger and night sights. I've shot several thousand rounds though my M&P 9 with the only malfunction being a squib round from crappy Tula ammo.

Being an M&P person, I have to say the simplicity of Glock is alluring to agencies. If glock had a slightly better reputation for fit I would be a fanboy. I am not real thrilled with the mating of the mag floorplate to the pistol grip of my 19.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Most people I know that bought a Smith also had to buy a new trigger or pay a gunsmith to do it for them. Just never saw the need to pay the same or (in most cases) more for a firearm that still needed attention. Just MHO on the matter. I own several different brands and I can honestly say that I think for what they are, Smiths are overpriced.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Maybe S&W should partner with Apex to offer a complete firearm. Advanced trigger and night sights. I've shot several thousand rounds though my M&P 9 with the only malfunction being a squib round from crappy Tula ammo.

Being an M&P person, I have to say the simplicity of Glock is alluring to agencies. If glock had a slightly better reputation for fit I would be a fanboy. I am not real thrilled with the mating of the mag floorplate to the pistol grip of my 19.

That gap at the bottom of the grips on Glocks is there to be able to rip the magazine out on a Type 2 or 3 malfunction. Glocks are built for combat and duty use not to look pretty and sell magazines.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    That gap at the bottom of the grips on Glocks is there to be able to rip the magazine out on a Type 2 or 3 malfunction. Glocks are built for combat and duty use not to look pretty and sell magazines.

I can understand that, but reloading a new mag pinches my bottom of my hand. Same can be accomplished by relieving the grip or a portion of the floorplate.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Sooo...

The Europeans make the best guns, but aren't allowed to own them. The U.S. is awash in guns, but doesn't know how to make them and needs to buy them from Europeans who aren't allowed to own them. The U.S. protects Europe and the free world, using guns made in countries that don't, or can't protect themselves, but make all the guns. Europe wants to disarm the world, but only succeeds in disarming itself, while making guns used to protect it by the U.S. that's awash in guns but doesn't know how to make them.

I'm confoosed. I'm sure that globalization, the EU, Soros, and NATO fit in somewhere.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    And Glock has more than half the LE market and growing...

That's for more reasons then just the obvious ones too. Glock basically gives their guns away for free to large agencies. Then they have probably the largest armorer program. Mix that with a super reliable gun with easy to maintain parts that'l are basically dummy proof. That why glock rules the LE world.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That's for more reasons then just the obvious ones too. Glock basically gives their guns away for free to large agencies. Then they have probably the largest armorer program. Mix that with a super reliable gun with easy to maintain parts that'l are basically dummy proof. That why glock rules the LE world.
    Agreed but what is likely the strongest factor among those you mentioned is rock solid reliability. Agencies wouldn't choose it no matter how cheap it was if they couldn't bet their lives on it.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Lots of manufacturers have an exchange program where they take the current service firearms from the agency and provide them their product. This isn't just Glock.

If they are sticking with 9mm just keep the m9... its a reliable platform with decent mags. also, as much as people bemoan the slide mounter decocker, it's a safe mechanism for training many people, especially since a lot of those carrying sidearms are not in primary combat roles

Now if they move to 45 like they should... honestly there are tons of choices but the M&P doesn't seem to do much of anything better than the competition

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Only if they trade. Otherwise they sell them. A good price, but they do sell them.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have a little bit of insight into the DOD procurement process. The fact that S&Ws entry was dropped from the competition does not allow any conclusions on the merits of their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom