• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Hello, new to reloading and have a question for someone using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I am at the point of weighing my charge and when the powder charge is released, it comes out so fast a lot of powder bounces out of the metal scale tray making a mess on my bench. I know this may be a dumb question but I cant seem to find a way to slow the rate of discharge. Has anyone had this issue and if so, what did you do to correct it?
    Thanks!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Into a tall shot cup then into the tray. I hate it when powder bounces all around.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Simply dump the powder charge into a case the charge is intended for. Then pour the charge into the scale tray if you want to weigh it.
    It ain't all that complicated.
    ;)

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, I think you'll find that the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is actually a pretty good piece of gear once you get used to it's idiosyncrasies. That's one of them. I usually just hold the pan up closer to the nozzle when I'm using mine. YMMV.

Another thing to watch out for is that while I've found it's very repeatable with ball type powders, it isn't so much with extruded/stick powders like Varget. Before I got an RCBS Chargemaster, I'd just throw light with Varget and trickle up to my desired weight. Even the RCBS Chargemaster is tricky with Varget though...so I'm not knocking the Lee too much.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    OP, I think you'll find that the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is actually a pretty good piece of gear once you get used to it's idiosyncrasies. That's one of them. I usually just hold the pan up closer to the nozzle when I'm using mine. YMMV.

Another thing to watch out for is that while I've found it's very repeatable with ball type powders, it isn't so much with extruded/stick powders like Varget. Before I got an RCBS Chargemaster, I'd just throw light with Varget and trickle up to my desired weight. Even the RCBS Chargemaster is tricky with Varget though...so I'm not knocking the Lee too much.

Thanks for the advise Major!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom