• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Thanks for the info and suggestions everyone that replied.

My results were great for my first range trip. Except for the Precision Cartridge Inc commercial ammo I bought. What a joke. It's grossly underpowered, doesn't seal the chamber, and accuracy is poor. I got over 100 standard deviation on a 5 shot string with the chrony and it's under 2000 fps whereas the military loading was around 2500 fps. I have had good results from PCI 7.65 Argentine and 7.7 Japanese ammo, but this was terrible.

My reloads all did well, my best load got under 4.0 standard deviation and shot about a half inch group at 50 yards.

I am surprised the .264 bullets did so well considering the bore slugs at .268!

I used one wrap of scotch tape, the thicker style made for wrapping presents. I probably should have gone two wraps around, but it did help. Except on the PCI commercial ammo, since it didn't seal the chamber it annhilated/melted the tape.

The tape was a pain to remove! Lacquer thinner helped. I might try address labels next time, I heard they work well and are easier to apply and remove.

The rifle is a mix master, beat to hell, and I paid $170.00 for it. I am pleasantly surprised!

Here's the range results with pics of the targets and chrono results. First set of targets I didn't use the chrony, but set it up for the second round of targets. I used one of the MagnetoSpeed bayonet style chronographs. LOVE that thing, never have to set up the stupid chronograph on the tripod and the dumb wires and sun shades again. That was a pain since I usually shoot alone.

Attachments

• 6.5 JAP Load Testing 5.12.17.doc
      548 KB · Views: 107

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Here she is. Those are spray paint cans in the first pic, not beer cans :)

Attachments

• 20170512_190753.jpg
      20170512_190753.jpg
      100.8 KB · Views: 212
    • 20170512_190813.jpg
      20170512_190813.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 209

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Nice. I've got a 38 carbine I need to work out a load for. Did you slug the barrel yourself?

Yeah. It was a mess. My walnut dowels were a little too big and it all got jammed up. I broke the hell out of several dowel sections and ended up getting it thru with a 1/4 inch brass rod. I had splinters all over the room and down the hall.

Not one of my finer moments, but I got it done :)

I was worried the thing wasn't going to shoot worth a damn because things were obviously looser for the last 3 inches of the muzzle, and the fact that it slugged so fat. I really didn't have much hope, but the thing shoots great.

If I had a peep sight and a nice thin front sight I bet I could do even better. Notch and a triangle gives me issues, although I got one of those Lyman stick-on deals for your glasses and it helped a ton.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    These are great if you have eye trouble. I can see OK with my prescription safety glasses, but my eyes get real tired after about 30 minutes of shooting and I can't focus because of my back medication. These help a lot. It just sticks to your glasses with thin plastic, no adhesive.

I have heard of guys making their own out of electrical tape and a hole punch.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Produc...03&sr=1-4-fkmr1&keywords=lyman+stick+on+sight

Attachments

• lyman.jpg
      lyman.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 189

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads