Lee Pro 1000 Progressive press. Thoughts from anyone who has/had one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The loadmaster might be a better bet for you instead. Look at FSreloading(dot) com for alternative prices that are pretty cool.

I have a couple super 1050s with Posness Warren power drives for bulk processing, have given some smaller red turret presses away to my newer shooters to make room, and use the Loadmaster to make my match ammo. I have a NIB .50BMG I haven't had a reason to unpack yet...maybe in a couple more years.
    Where do you come by so many presses? I have been searching for used stuff for a while and have been striking out

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I started with a small red turret with one shell holder that spun the dies, then got a different red turret with a rotating shell holder. The big boy blue presses were to help me go through a couple tons of .223 and .308. Of course, this was before that jackass shot up Sandy Hook, so availability was a bit better.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've probably run 50k plus on pro 1000's, I have two of them. They work fine, they do need some tinkering to keep running. The only part I ever wore out was the shaft in the middle that makes everything rotate. I was able to find the problem and order a replacement pretty easy though.

Last summer I upgraded to a 650, and it is sooo much better. That said I still have the two pro 1000's set up, one is for 9mm and one is for 38 super.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I run a 550 using a Lee chain pull return disc powder measure, no case nor bullet feeder. I have no problems with the measure and can average ber 500 rounds per hour when I am really rolling, 400 rounds per hour comfortably.

As many have, I started out with the Lee 3 position turret press way back. I was on the edge of buying the NEW 1000 when I saw an ad for the Dillon 450B. Looking both over I went with the Dillon, converted it to the present mahine which is the 550B. From a machinery perspective I saw no equivalence between the two presses. Still don't. And from communication with users I knew through the years of both, it seems I made a sound choice. If the pocketbook can afford it, get an LNL or Dillon.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks all. From the thread comments and a little more research I will probably go with the LNL eventually. I usually get a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards for my Bday and Xmas so I'll probably save a few up and try to get one for close to free since Bass Pro sells them.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Thanks all. From the thread comments and a little more research I will probably go with the LNL eventually. I usually get a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards for my Bday and Xmas so I'll probably save a few up and try to get one for close to free since Bass Pro sells them.
    Best price right now is 380. Im hunting the lnl as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

myproverb

Aug 8, 2013
    I started with a lee pro 1000; i got it working, but it was still time consuming--the way you have to load the primers (compare to a tube system) & the mess you have to clean because of the spent primers.

When i upgraded to dillon, i initially thought that it was very expensive; but a few years later, i found myself owning a square deal, a 650, and a 1050. Here are the reasons why i preferred the blue press...
    -Easy to use after it's been set-up properly (very consistent & fast)
    -The support from the manufacturer is there (from responding to your questions up to replacing parts and overhauling your press)
    -it holds its value even after so many years

I'm sure the press from other manufacturers are also great; and the possibility of adding accessories are there. So, good luck with your decision.

ih8unot

Mar 20, 2011
    Dundalk
    I ran a p1000 for 6 years until I got tired of fixing it. Upgraded to a D650 and will never look back. I should have done it years ago. Buy once, cry once... It's worth the money in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom