• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    wow awesome guys!

I'm finding Turkey hunting to be very frustrating for me lol.

Saturday I went out and had 5 toms all gobbling about 300 yards or so away on another field (off my property). literally had them responding to calls for 1.5 hours back and forth, they wouldn't cone close enough/on my property. They would cut my call off almkst every time, and i counted 7 times in a row that i'd call theyd respond back to back.

Another hour passes and 2 more toms responding to calls, got within 100 yards or so, but again they won't leave that field. One was HUGE.

Gave up at 11:30am. 4pm decent tom 20 yards from the house, go figure. Sunday morning they are going nuts and 2 more toms in my backyard.

Can't figure this stuff out for the life of me!

If you haven't already...may I suggest that you respond to the toms with a loud vociferous cackle --- which in translation --- the hen demands that the tom should come to her immediately!!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I got trolled on a different forum for turkey hunting:lol2: This is one of the funniest troll statements ever:

"Yeah, this isn't about me. It's about killing one of gods creatures for no good reason. Go buy some hamburger."

:lol2:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I got trolled on a different forum for turkey hunting2: This is one of the funniest troll statements ever:

"Yeah, this isn't about me. It's about killing one of gods creatures for no good reason. Go buy some hamburger."

2:
    Some people.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got trolled on a different forum for turkey hunting:lol2: This is one of the funniest troll statements ever:

:lol2:

Does turkey burger count? :D

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Here are a couple gobblers I got from Ohio over the past weekend. I want to hunt all 50 states and this is how I got Ohio checked off. I am still quite new to turkey hunting and this was an amazing trip!

Now if I could only find a place in Maryland that is handy to chase them! Only sporadically see them in our woods out back.

The first one had TWO 10+ inch beards AND tiny extra spurs above and below his regular spurs on both legs. Got the hunt on outstanding video too so that was a bonus. He attacked the jake decoy at 20 yards and knocked it over then BLAAMMM!

The second bird was a nice 3 year old.

Ohio%20Gobbler%20num1%2004%2030%202017.jpg

Ohio%20Gobbler%20num1%20Double%20Beard%2004%2030%202017%20.jpg

Ohio%20Gobbler%20num2%2005%2001%202017.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats to everyone getting lucky this spring. Hopefully I'll get my chance. Keep'm comin'!

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    I'd like to hear feedback from people hunting in Montgomery county. This is my 4th season and every year there are plenty of vocal birds on McKee-Beshers (and Seneca) but not this year. I see sign and a couple of hens but near total silence. I'm used to birds that, although they may never come to you, at least answer readily.

I've had one bird answer me twice last week. Otherwise, I hear scattered gobbles (usually distant) 5:30-6:15 or so, but very lethargic. Then total silence after full light. I've caught them roosting very late a few times, although I've seen that in years past, too.

Has this been other people's experience? Are other places in the state seeming normal?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I don't hunt in Moco and haven't even made it out this year but there are alot of reasons birds are quiet. Predation, henned up roosters and even sometimes thunderstorms will make a gobbler spark off all night and then zip it during the day. Not all gobbles are thundering choruses either, sometimes real subtle and hard to tell apart from other birds if they are distant. Sometimes they're just quite and who knows. Traffic, farm equipment, aircraft and even wind and what direction the birds heading can make a gobble hard to hear. Wait it out until 10-11 oclock and then try to get one to shock gobble. Then move and do some light yelps to let them know where your at. If you get a response don't overdo it and make sure they don't try to get around you. When they are coming straight at you and talking, keep you eye out and be ready to get your gun up smooth once you spot them and know its safe to do so.

Malachi.2.15

Jan 27, 2011
    Youth day

This picture was taken on youth day in St. Mary's county when I was out with my son. First time turkey hunting for both of us. Heard at least three different gobblers 15 minutes after setting up in the blind. My son called in this hen and tom. The hen was heading toward our decoys, and the tom looked to be following her. Unfortunately, he beat feet right after I took the picture so my son didn't get a shot. :( Haven't seen or heard any since that first day...

Attachments

• 20170415_065129.jpg
      20170415_065129.jpg
      113.6 KB · Views: 143

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    This evening I was at dinner in a shopping center in a very built up, crowded Denver neighborhood. As we were walking back to my car I noticed two wild turkeys walking through the parking lot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here is my modest contribution to this thread. Was working a bird this morning that was hung up when this jake snuck in behind me. Thinking a jake in hand was better than two in the bush, I decided to take him on this, my last day of the spring season. Only managed to get out twice this year. That's the way it goes sometimes. :shrug:

Attachments

• tmp_29182-IMG_20170520_0639018081098829566.jpg
      tmp_29182-IMG_20170520_0639018081098829566.jpg
      179.8 KB · Views: 116

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Here is my modest contribution to this thread. Was working a bird this morning that was hung up when this jake snuck in behind me. Thinking a jake in hand was better than two in the bush, I decided to take him on this, my last day of the spring season. Only managed to get out twice this year. That's the way it goes sometimes. :shrug:

Congrats...Did he gobble any?

I had intentions of going turkey hunting today, but I overslept this morning. I doubt if I'll go last day...but I might.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa

Welcome to the party Outrider. Good job.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats...Did he gobble any?

I had intentions of going turkey hunting today, but I overslept this morning. I doubt if I'll go last day...but I might.

No gobbles. He snuck in quietly but I always try and keep an eye on my six. Been burned too many times by that. ;) I heard plenty of gobblers this morning, but they all seemed to stop by 8 o'clock or so.

Welcome to the party Outrider. Good job.

Thanks Mike. The one I was working has been making a fool of me for the last three or four years. He's a pretty smart old bird(probably because I've killed a few of his buds). I figure I might have one more year to try him, hoping I catch him in a weak moment. He knows he's safe as long as he stays in the neighbor's back yard. He struts there, there only. He'll be one chewy bastage if I ever get a shot. I'm a hard case for old, hard to kill critters, I guess. :)

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    No gobbles. He snuck in quietly but I always try and keep an eye on my six. Been burned too many times by that. ;) I heard plenty of gobblers this morning, but they all seemed to stop by 8 o'clock or so.

Thanks Mike. The one I was working has been making a fool of me for the last three or four years. He's a pretty smart old bird(probably because I've killed a few of his buds). I figure I might have one more year to try him, hoping I catch him in a weak moment. He knows he's safe as long as he stays in the neighbor's back yard. He struts there, there only. He'll be one chewy bastage if I ever get a shot. I'm a hard case for old, hard to kill critters, I guess. :)

That's funny, if turkey hunting is a given everybody would do it. Those old gobblers will with out a doubt test your patience. I tried a different technique this year on the birds I got. We decided to get in a lot closer once we roosted them the night before. I did go from a gobbler decoy too a jake and 2 hen set up. Worked on all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom