• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    What load do ya'll prefer?

My 3.5" 10ga has a pretty limited selection of factory turkey ammo. Best I've found has been hevi-shot magnum blend. At 25 yds Im doing about 380 pellets in a 10" circle. Due to only using a full choke it drops to about 100 pellets @50yds. It works great but I cringe every time I have to buy ammo ($35 for a box of 5).

My backup gun is a 12ga Mossberg 500. Currently I'm using some nitro company ammo that my father gave me because it wouldn't function in his gun. The nitro patterns about the same as the 12ga 3" hevi-shot magnum blend and cost roughly about the same. I'd like to find a something more reasonably priced with a decent pattern to replace the nitro once it runs out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hasn't let me down yet.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
      turkey.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 411

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Went out to scout some public lands today in Calvert and was a bit disappointed. Heard on Gobbler one the roast a long way away. I closed the distance before sunrise only to find the boundary on the property and him deep on the other property. My son located one on the other side of the game lands but could not see the bird. He was able to get close enough to here him and his hens fly down, unfortunity them moved in the wrong direction. But its a start and it was pretty gloomy this morning.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Seen a lot of activity this morning with some gobblers milling about in Centerville Queen Anne and the Federalsburg area. I like to use a 20 gauge because its easier to tote around anymore as long as I can get them coming into the field early.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    This morning I watched a long beard on the roost going off 80yds from me. From legal shooting time till sun up he gobbled at least 15 times on the roost. I left him and hiked around for 30 mins. When I came back he was on the ground still gobbling his head off.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Had 3 come through the yard a bit ago but only got a good look at one, which was a tom. Season can't get here soon enough!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Was out in the back yard Sunday morning around 7am and saw this guy walking along casually. Only a few more days...

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
      turkey.jpg
      140.7 KB · Views: 302
    • Turkey1.jpg
      Turkey1.jpg
      148.6 KB · Views: 303

Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    With the weather as nice as it has been, we decided to sleep with the windows open last night.

Dang gobbler woke us up, loud and proud, at about 4 this morning. He was still at it when I was leaving for work, at 6.

We are in Frederick.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Literally have turkey running around the house. Once season starts they will disappear I'm sure.

Attachments

• 090.jpg
      090.jpg
      129.1 KB · Views: 266
    • 085-2.jpg
      085-2.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 272

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I was in Silver Run working on the exterior of a garage.Around 10 this morning,a bunch of crows started making a racket,which caused two toms to start gobbling.Once they were worked up,they gobbled at everything.....a dog barking,a trucks J brake,the crows and every time I set a nail they would answer with a gobble.This went on for 20 mins or so.I hope to have some birds as worked up as they were.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey! Congrats Mike! Looks pretty dry out there. Gonna try my luck tomorrow.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Score. 8:15 today in Cambridge on one of our leases.

Congrats! Mike, Every time I come back from Ocean City, I see a field on the West side of rt50 just south of Cambridge. Turkeys there very often in the field (at least they look like Turkeys and not Turkey Vultures) . Are you near that?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Was in Western Md for the first 3 days.They werent gobbling much but had two different toms within 100 yrds.I saw some hens also.I found my first morels (2) and caught a 3lb trout ,so I cant complain

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats! Mike, Every time I come back from Ocean City, I see a field on the West side of rt50 just south of Cambridge. Turkeys there very often in the field (at least they look like Turkeys and not Turkey Vultures) . Are you near that?

I think I know that field. Just from driving by.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    What sucks worse then no bird? Finding out your expensive boots have a hole in them. Didn't remember how swampy McKees is, and damn the mosquitoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom