• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    We had one for years until it got to much for me to do the maintenance. Now that I am in better condition we are putting one back in. I ordered the liner 20' x 20', pump, filter materials, 3 pallets of rocks total price $1,520.00. The hole just needed to be dug out a little. Hope to have everything delivered by this weekend. I will post some pictures after I finish.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    japanese-garden-koi-pond1.jpg

I wish! :D

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I had a Koi pond for about two weeks. Then every damn frog within a half mile radius relocated to my yard every night to get their freak on. The croaking until 2AM was so deafening I had to sleep with a pillow on my head. I came home one day, gave the Koi to my neighbor, drained the pond, and filled it in with dirt and slept like a baby that night.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I had a Koi pond for about two weeks. Then every damn frog within a half mile radius relocated to my yard every night to get their freak on. The croaking until 2AM was so deafening I had to sleep with a pillow on my head. I came home one day, gave the Koi to my neighbor, drained the pond, and filled it in with dirt and slept like a baby that night.

I got a frog story for ya. one year we had a large frog I do mean large frog. very loud .one day i noticed while outside I didn't hear him walked down to the pond their he was floating. noticed he looked weird got the dip net he choked trying to eat another frog. toe to toe 14 inches

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    My workplace he a large pond (over an acre) that has had Koi for about 25 years. There are literally hundreds of fish. Massive ones too. I can put my hand in the water and dozens will swarm.

They are super friendly and love to be fed.

The biggest problem is osprey who come in for breakfast in the spring. Wild to see and the population is big enough to handle it.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
      IMG_0475.jpg
      146.4 KB · Views: 222

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    My workplace he a large pond (over an acre) that has had Koi for about 25 years. There are literally hundreds of fish. Massive ones too. I can put my hand in the water and dozens will swarm.

They are super friendly and love to be fed.

The biggest problem is osprey who come in for breakfast in the spring. Wild to see and the population is big enough to handle it.

nice looking work place

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Well I got my UV clarifyer back into working condition and 3 cleanouts on my filter system and I can finally see my fish again.
    As a bonus, I think I can almost see the bottom of the pond again!:rockon:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    For those with Koi...

How are the pond holding? My filtaration system is at limit. waterfall barely working.
    Top frozen...

Attachments

• frozepond1.jpg
      frozepond1.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 224

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    you don't want the top to completely freeze over. when the vegetation leaves plant fish waste breaks down it creates a gas that robs oxygen. you should have a whole somewhere in the ice for this gas to escape.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I keep a pump & air-stone running in mine all year.
    It's enough movement to keep it from freezing over, of course it's about worn out right now and I need to go spend another $17
    At the last filter cleaning my tubing cracked due to age and cold, so I shut off my filter for the winter

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    you don't want the top to completely freeze over. when the vegetation leaves plant fish waste breaks down it creates a gas that robs oxygen. you should have a whole somewhere in the ice for this gas to escape.

+1.

There is a heater-type thing you can get to make a hole in that ice.
    If it's frozen over, there can be no gas exchange, and the fish will die.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    +1.

There is a heater-type thing you can get to make a hole in that ice.
    If it's frozen over, there can be no gas exchange, and the fish will die.

Go to TSC or Southern States for a floating stock tank heater, it will be half the cost at a Aquarium store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom