• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Subtitle My CZ CGW 75 has a much lighter recoil spring

3.9 gr of Bullseye over a Xtreme 115 gr works fine in the CZ

The PC Shield, which some people have difficulty racking the slide, and new mags with good springs stove pipes or FTF with 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 gr of Bullseye

Should I go up on the powder or change powders or give up on 115 gr? Alliant list 4.7 gr for BE and Speer gold dots, but I am using a plated bullet.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Subtitle My CZ CGW 75 has a much lighter recoil spring

3.9 gr of Bullseye over a Xtreme 115 gr works fine in the CZ

The PC Shield, which some people have difficulty racking the slide, and new mags with good springs stove pipes or FTF with 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 gr of Bullseye

Should I go up on the powder or change powders or give up on 115 gr? Alliant list 4.7 gr for BE and Speer gold dots, but I am using a plated bullet.

I have the standard 9mm Shield and I run 4.5 grs. of Bullseye with the Xtreme plated 115 gr. bullet and it cycles fine, never a hiccup.

Only thing I could suggest is trying a reduced power recoil spring, that is if you can find one for the Shield, if it was a Glock you'd have no trouble, but aftermarket parts for the Shield pistols aren't as plentiful.

If the gun is just "tight" because it's new you may need to just break it in real good before it will cycle less than full power handloads.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks, I will try the 4.5 gr. The gun has probably had a couple hundred rounds through it. When I first got it I thought I had something bad going on neurologically when I tried to slingshot the slide. It took a good grunt and a fart to rack the slide :-) That has improved.

Wolf doesn't list a recoil spring and the S&W forum didn't have anything good to say about softer springs.

I did see on Amazon an insert for the Maglula magazine loader (Insert for Maglula Uplula speed loader, by IMFISHING) to fit the shield. I am going to order one. I have small joint arthritis from using my hands for work and getting that 7th and 8th round loaded is not easy.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I found this aftermarket recoil assembly to be an improvement. Easier to rack the slide. Works well with factory 115g ammo.
    Interesting. Did you have any trouble getting the original guide rod out? My M&P Compact had the thread adapter on so tight or loktited, I broke the factory wrench.

Haven't been to the range with the 4.5 gr load.

However I did get the insert for the Maglula mag loader. It fits perfectly and works great!

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    No problems with installation. Pulled the factory guide rod out and put the new one in.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    If the gun is just "tight" because it's new you may need to just break it in real good before it will cycle less than full power handloads.

I have both 9mm and .45acp shields, both "Performance center " TIGHT? that's an understatement. Both were extremely tight when new, had a hard time racking slides by hand!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My first thought was a little slower powder which may keep full back pressure until the bullet leaves the barrel. Curious if the Red Dot pressure spikes then slows to quickly? I really have no idea but as others have said I would fix the gun first.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My first thought was a little slower powder which may keep full back pressure until the bullet leaves the barrel. Curious if the Red Dot pressure spikes then slows to quickly? I really have no idea but as others have said I would fix the gun first.

I don't know anything about pressure vs time curves for various powders.
    4.5 gr had a 3/24 FTE/FTF rate. 4.6 gr Bullseye seems to work.

I'm going to put a few hundred more rounds through it. I'm not on the S&W Forum enough to know the players but there are a lot of anti-light spring folks there. It could be fact or it could be something they "know because they read it on the internet"

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just for giggles I looked up burn rates. The first chart I found on the 'net said Red Dot was faster than Bullseye. Kept looking and it was about a 50/50 split between faster or slower. Alliant makes both and sez Red Dot is slower. Proves my point about Internet wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom