First experience with Hornady LnL (rant)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    I found that my seating depth varied due to the Winchester FMJ bullet jackets actually deflecting a little. Or, at least that's what I think was happening. My seating depth was all over the map (+- .01 or worse). Tried a few other bullet types and they all loaded very consistently within a few thousandths of an inch. I probably could have corrected the problem by using a seating die with a more contoured nose punch but I've managed to use most all of those Winchester bullets just by loading long and frequently spot checking OAL.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    My aim is 1.135 OAL and I'm getting just a few that are less, but 10% that are 1.138 to 1.140. I don't recall that extreme with the single stage. Maybe I stopped checking after getting 2 or 3 at 1.135 and never got the long ones.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    My aim is 1.135 OAL and I'm getting just a few that are less, but 10% that are 1.138 to 1.140. I don't recall that extreme with the single stage. Maybe I stopped checking after getting 2 or 3 at 1.135 and never got the long ones.

Do the over length or under length occur at the beginning or end of the cycle when all the stations of the press aren't full? If so it could be the adjustment of the other dies. If it's random throughout the loading cycle then it's most likely just slight variations in components. If 1.135 is your max OAL consider moving that down to 1.13 to compensate for the variations.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Never had a single issue with my LnL and have loaded 1000's of rounds on it. I use all Hornady dies except for an RCBS Lockout Die used to check for an over or under charge. The Lockout die is just an added safety measure. Ive never had an issue with powder drops.

Ive used Unique, W231, and Titegroup. All of them measure well. No complaints here.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Do the over length or under length occur at the beginning or end of the cycle when all the stations of the press aren't full? If so it could be the adjustment of the other dies. If it's random throughout the loading cycle then it's most likely just slight variations in components. If 1.135 is your max OAL consider moving that down to 1.13 to compensate for the variations.

Yes, that's exactly when it happens. I'll check the other adjustment of other dies...thanks.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    More progress. :thumbsup: I'm thinking, if I could I'd change the the parenthetical in the title from "rant" to "whine", I be closer to the truth.

This tool needs paying attention to, and not the way I imagined. I do believe I thought this thing to have more "power" to do it for me. It takes work and experience that any tool needs. I humbly fine this machine to be in fine working order. I did make some minor Dremel adjustments at the beginning, but with time I've gotten it to work just fine.

Chalk it up to break-in time and inexperience.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    Now that everything's working it's time to start accessorizing. Checkout http://www.powderfunnels.com. It's a great little accessory that will let you expand the case while dropping powder. That frees up the third station for a powder cop or similar die.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    I agree on powderfunnels.com. Its far superior in function and in ease of adjustment then the hornady versions.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Interesting.....I use a RCBS single stage and I personally dislike the "flaring" step. Wish they could come up with something like the bottleneck die "expander ball" to flare the neck after you resize.

A progressive setup.....honestly makes me nervous. I've only been loading a few months, and feel that it will be very easy to miss a step with a setup like this.

Yes, I'm aware that with proper setup and monitoring it is less of an issue, but I still feel like a noob at this lol.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Interesting.....I use a RCBS single stage and I personally dislike the "flaring" step. Wish they could come up with something like the bottleneck die "expander ball" to flare the neck after you resize.

A progressive setup.....honestly makes me nervous. I've only been loading a few months, and feel that it will be very easy to miss a step with a setup like this.

Yes, I'm aware that with proper setup and monitoring it is less of an issue, but I still feel like a noob at this lol.

I've been hiding this out of embarrassment...I had a squib on Sunday. It was not the presses fault as much as I'd like to think so, (;) thanks 3rdRcn). It was in the first run and in the confusion of setting up and adjustment somehow I put a bullet in an uncharged case.

Fortunately the primer was only able to get the bullet into the barrel enough to prevent another round from chambering. It was during the Delta Steel fun shoot on Sunday. I felt sick for endangering others and irresponsible. I felt pissed that even being compulsive about reloading that I could have missed it. I felt fear...

I've been reloading on a single stage for year and a half and thought I was ready for a progressive. It does take a lot of attention to detail, with many things going on at one time. I have learned a valuable lesson and no one got hurt. I feel very lucky.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Its kinda hard to miss a step with the LNL-AP. You'd have to do something really out of the ordinary process like half-stroking the ram, manually advancing the shell plate, or removing & replacing brass in the shell-plate mid-process. The only time these things happen is if you have a malfunction while loading and in which case it does require some care clearing the error & picking up where you left off.

I just watch the powder station while loading. If anything other then a powder issue occurs it tends to grab your attention quickly & obviously. So I just focus on visually verifying that each case is charged correctly before I put a bullet on it. Whatever else happens doesn't make dangerous ammo (at least not on my setup anyway.)

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    or removing & replacing brass in the shell-plate mid-process. The only time these things happen is if you have a malfunction while loading and in which case it does require some care clearing the error & picking up where you left off.

Taking out the case to weigh the throw is the only thing I can think of. Doesn't matter now, just going to pay extra attention to it...for sure.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Taking out the case to weigh the throw is the only thing I can think of. Doesn't matter now, just going to pay extra attention to it...for sure.

Been there, Done that. (squib). Also the pwder dropper can come loose after a few. Always check the dropper. And I also visual check when I place the bullet on a charged case.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Been there, Done that. (squib). Also the pwder dropper can come loose after a few. Always check the dropper. And I also visual check when I place the bullet on a charged case.

This thing? That is not cool to come loose. I am so gonna get a cop die!

Attachments

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 57

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This thing? That is not cool to come loose. I am so gonna get a cop die!

No the whole unit/powder drop station. After awhile it comes loose. I may just have to replace the rubber gasket is all. Been reloading thousands of rounds on my lnl. :)

Dont need powder cop. Just make sure there is powder in before seating the bullet. I use tite group and it meters very well.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yea, a new rubber o-ring on the bushing will fix that right up. I pull all the hornady ones off and go with a slightly thicker size. My bushings don't budge. Still can't figure out why Hornady doesn't provide thicker O-rings with the press from the start.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I've been hiding this out of embarrassment...I had a squib on Sunday. It was not the presses fault as much as I'd like to think so, (;) thanks 3rdRcn). It was in the first run and in the confusion of setting up and adjustment somehow I put a bullet in an uncharged case.

Fortunately the primer was only able to get the bullet into the barrel enough to prevent another round from chambering. It was during the Delta Steel fun shoot on Sunday. I felt sick for endangering others and irresponsible. I felt pissed that even being compulsive about reloading that I could have missed it. I felt fear...

I've been reloading on a single stage for year and a half and thought I was ready for a progressive. It does take a lot of attention to detail, with many things going on at one time. I have learned a valuable lesson and no one got hurt. I feel very lucky.

Same happened to me when shooting at SLCFSA PA steel. Loaded that one on the single stage.:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom