• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm looking at a Colt Trooper Mk III, blued with a 4" barrel. The seller is on the opposite corner of the state from me, so it's not a simple jaunt to go get it. It was, at one time, issued to the Border Patrol. From the pictures, it looks pretty close to what my current 6" Mk III does, nice bluing, etc., except some genius rubbed off the Border Patrol stamp, leaving a bare steel area. The seller is saying that lockup is fine, the revolver works, etc. But the area where the stamp was needs bluing. He wants $650 for it. Which is $50 less than what I paid for my 6" Mk III. I'm thinking that's a bit much for this revolver in the condition that it's in. What do you think?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As a shooter not a bad price. I think it's one of those unique situations where it's a case of "what's it worth to you" more than anything. But if you ever decide to resell it then that damage will be a big issue. Depending on how bad the defacing is (is it completely fixable with a reblue?) might not be worth it. If it can be fixed by bluing you can get Colt themselves to reblue it which shouldn't hurt the value and have a nice investment for about maybe 1200 bucks all told.

Also make sure the timing is good. You need to check the rotation and timing on all six cylinders, as Colts have a tendency to lose timing on just one. They are a bitch to get fixed. You have to find a gunsmith who knows how and even Colt themselves doesn't have a lot of those parts any more.

If it were me, I think I'd just look for another Trooper.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'd let that one slide unless he's dropping the price a lot more.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I agree with all of the above. If you are going to shoot the crap out of it, then the gun is worth whatever you are willing to pay. I would not pay any more than 500 for it myself. As an investment......there is no real resale value. Collector value is ruined. Someone must have thought it would be worth more without the BP markings. Well, removing that (and trashing the finish) trashed any collector value it may have had.

There is always a bunch of them on GB. btw.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I figured that it would be more of a shooter than a collector's piece. I also thought that he was high on what he was asking, especially with the damage. I'll see if he'll take $500.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    You can't "rub out" a stamping; you grind it off. Even reblued, it will look bad.

My first thought when I see markings mutilated, is that the gun could be stolen. Those of us who are just taxpayers don't have access to the DOJ "stolen gun" list. However, your local LEA might be willing to look it up for you, should you decide to buy it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads