• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Waiting on a stamp for first suppressor and have a question about mounts.

I bought the AAC 7.62 SD and among other things will occasionally run it on my AR Pistol. It's a 10.5" barrel with a 10" Midwest industry free float guard.

When I was checking out the pistol and put my armorers wrench around the currently attached compensator I noticed that I'm about 1/8" too deep into the handguard to use the tool to remove.

So now I'm wondering if when do get it off and attach the AAC blackout 2 will I have a problem getting the can attached.

Is there a general rule of thumb to give yourself an inch at the end so get a 9 inch handguard or should 1/2 be enough?

Yes I know YMMV so just looking for any info people might have for a Fashionably late to the suppressor party individual.

I search for 10.5 barrell suppressed but didn't see anything answering my question nor handguard suppressor length either.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I used a 13" KMR handguard on my last build. With a 14.5" barrel and a pinned/welded suppressor mount it worked out great. It gave me about 1/2" between the suppressor and the handguard.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I used a 13" KMR handguard on my last build. With a 14.5" barrel and a pinned/welded suppressor mount it worked out great. It gave me about 1/2" between the suppressor and the handguard.

Right but you started 1 1/2" short from guard to barrel. When all said and done you say 1/2" space. My issue is potentially starting with only that 1/2".

So should I get a new guard at 9" to get like you and start with 1 1/2" real estate.

That's what I'm wondering. Or if anyone has a set up with a guard only 1/2" from barrell end and suppresses, is it doable.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    With a 10" handguard and 10.5" barrel you will start out with the handguard and barrel being at the same place. The barrel goes into the receiver about a 1/2".

From here, what matters us the OD of your suppressor and the ID of your handguard. As well as how your suppressor mounts. ie, No lock rings or anything you need to reach to install.

It is possible for your handgaurd to cover some or all of your suppressor. If these parameters work out.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    With a 10" handguard and 10.5" barrel you will start out with the handguard and barrel being at the same place. The barrel goes into the receiver about a 1/2".

From here, what matters us the OD of your suppressor and the ID of your handguard. As well as how your suppressor mounts. ie, No lock rings or anything you need to reach to install.

It is possible for your handgaurd to cover some or all of your suppressor. If these parameters work out.

Looking up that supressor, it utilizes a button to remove. I think his concern is if it goes into the handguard, he wont be able to as easily disconnect it.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    How long is the MI 10" rail? That is not a smartass question.

Remember your threads start about 0.6" from the end of your barrel, so for you its around 9.9" if you barrel is exactly 10.5".

Its gonna be close!

If you get the newer AAC Brakeout that uses a tool to tighten from the front, and the teeth are exposed, you should be fine.

If not, you might have to play some games like using a 0.1" spacer. Or buy a SLR rail that is 9.9".

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Typically we recommend a 9" or 9.5" HG for the 10.5" uppers.

If you have the mount bring everything by and we can try to mock it all up to see if it'll fit. The 51T mounts tend to go relatively far into the can as opposed to some of the other mounts (surefire comes to mind as one that stays off the front of the barrel shoulder once mounted.)

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Typically we recommend a 9" or 9.5" HG for the 10.5" uppers.

If you have the mount bring everything by and we can try to mock it all up to see if it'll fit. The 51T mounts tend to go relatively far into the can as opposed to some of the other mounts (surefire comes to mind as one that stays off the front of the barrel shoulder once mounted.)

You guys do have the suppressor in the safe processing my stamp. So once I get the mounts delivered I'll bring by the pistol and mount for you to check out. No rush as its gonna be many months till Its released from purgatory.

Thanks

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Here is a SDN6 attached on 2 slightly different configurations.

DD MK18 upper (9.55" rail/10.3" barrel).

My 300blk - 9.5" Rail/10.5" barrel.

Hope that helps.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Here is a SDN6 attached on 2 slightly different configurations.

DD MK18 upper (9.55" rail/10.3" barrel).

My 300blk - 9.5" Rail/10.5" barrel.

Hope that helps.
    What did you use to keep the suppressor from contacting the DD rail on the 10.3" gun (mk18)?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    What did you use to keep the suppressor from contacting the DD rail on the 10.3" gun (mk18)?

I didn't use anything specific. There is about 2mm of space between the suppressor and the rail. I'm running a 51T brakeout shown here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456770233.160004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks my blackout brake touches, so I had to use a jam nut..... Not really thrilled about it either.

It could be the amount of shims I used to index the muzzle brake. That could be the reason mine doesn't touch.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Here's a couple pictures of what it currently looks like so you get an idea of why I was asking

11a115eb5f640957e681a5d5970ca907.jpg

0c8b35cfae1399c6a0a917e526cd9884.jpg

bd0e7880ac14fb4b3efb07b7e4c68432.jpg

abfa34329ba96365e06c9f09147608fd.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My SWAG is you should be ok. I've got a YHM Phantom in jail that will reside mostly on my 10.5'' 300 blk. I'm using a 10'' Mega fins handguard and although these are two different brands(suppressors), their mountings are very similar. I have to take the handguard off to install the QD mount, but once that's done, the can will stop just about the same place rouchna's does in his first pic. If you need to move the mount out a little you can add some barrel shims to it as long as the QD mount is Rocksett onto the barrel. I would go by Nate's and double check though, just to be sure.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have to take the handguard off to install the QD mount, but once that's done, the can will stop just about the same place rouchna's does in his first pic.

That will be a fun blow torch project to loosen up the red loctite.

I bought to upper used on AR15 and noticed the red loctite when looking at the upper and If I thought the mount would fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom