• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Ok, so MGA has been advertising their Mk46/Mk48 on Sturm lately. I had not heard of it before so went off doing a bunch of research. In a nutshell its a SAW that uses a HK trigger pack. The earlier versions uses a modified pack, but the latest version uses a bone stock HK pack. This has obvious implications if one has an HK sear. Obviously no one would buy one as a semi-auto only anymore now that a real FN semi-auto SAW can be had.

www.machinegunarmory.com

The question I have is: "Is that legal?" As a semi-auto sure but the ATF has frowned upon putting brand X sear in brand Y gun before. MGA says "can be used as an H&K Host Gun with a Registered Sear or Registered Trigger pack (where allowed by law.)" but they won't clarify where its allowed by law:tdown: From my web search it seems the prior versions that used a custom long sear trip and hammer weren't allowed to use a transferable HK pack. Also see the example of FNC sear in SCAR = illegal (and they are even the same brand!) But the ATF has approved things like the Sabre upper on a mac receiver. So building something new can get approved.

So I wanted clarification, called, and left a msg. Then wrote an email. About 15min later someone calls me back. Turns out its John who claims to be the CEO(!). Some notes I scribbled during our 15min conversation that I though I'd leave here for posterity:
    * There is no ATF letter saying its approved. He says there is no such thing. ATF only writes letters saying things are not approved.:tdown: (But I brought up the AA/Sabre and he didn't have an answer.) He says they are just a HK upper like a Michaels Machine 21/23E (I had mentioned them in the contact email I wrote. But a MM21E/23E is an exact copy of an HK firearm not a FN one.) The "sig brace" had an ATF approval letter when it came out.
    * Been in business since 2008. Orig SAWs were $22k. Said all gun ranges in Vegas & Texas are using theirs. (:tdown: as those all surely are FFL07s w/ postie sears so it doesn't make a difference.)
    * Sells as a semi only. You have to buy the full auto kit - will ship with but not installed. Takes a different bolt/slide and trigger housing (for ambi & burst packs.) He didn't recall exact price off the top of his head since he wasn't a sales guy but seemed to think it was "$1500-1600"
    * says converting from Mk46(5.56x45) to Mk48(7.62x51) takes 2min. Less time for the other calibers. For the Mk48 requires a bolt, bbl, and feedtray/top cover swap. He says its actually easier than the FN version since theirs is designed to be both from the get-go.
    * The difference in the civilian version is thicker receiver rails (to prevent an unmodified open bolt from being used) and the trigger pack hole size & location is different (so you can't attach a SAW open bolt trigger pack.) The other parts almost all swap. He said they make mil-spec parts for the military and other countries. Their barrels are a more modern nitrided vs FNs chrome lining but will interchange.
    * no discount for buying Mk46+48 parts at the same time. There is a qty discount. Say 3 or more will be 15%+ off.
    * Up to gen 4 design. They took some of the gen3 stuff off the website a couple months ago. 4 stuff is ready to go and they just filed a youtube vid about all of it - not published yet.

Price from the website is:
    $7850 Mk46
    $1600 auto kit
    =$9500 for 5.56 only
    +$6500 Mk48 conversion kit
    = $16k for 5.56 & 7.62x51

The :tdown: is me marking the huge red flags that went off in my head talking to him. Personally I think this thing is still on seriously shaky ground if using a transferable sear w/o a letter. Maybe I should get someone to write the ATF and ask:lol2: Thoughts? Anyone ever seen one in the flesh?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I took a look at them a few weeks ago and was wondering the same thing. BRP's MG34 upper came to mind.

Just go for it....I'm looking forward to trying yours out! :thumbsup::)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have talked to smdub about this in email but I am all but sure its not legal to drop an HK trigger pack on this. First if it was, they would tell you so in their website. I had one guy claim to have a letter from ATF allowing it but it turned out to just be the semi approval letter. He says he has another but have not received it yet.

So here are my thoughts. First look "conversion parts" are parts made to convert specific semi autos to MGs. Not ANY gun to a MG. So if you have a FNC Sear, you can convert a FNC semi auto to a MG. If you have a HK sear pack or sear you can convert a gun from the HK series of guns designed to fit that pack. This list goes on.

So some other cases. First the FNC. Its been rules that you can not take a FNC sear and drop it into a FN SCAR even if its very close in design. On the XMG34, which the the BRP MG34 designed to use an AR15 or M16 lower... well you have two gun receivers. The upper on the MG34 is the receiver. ATF has rules that you can not add a M16 lower to a XMG34 without making it a post sample.

Here is some of the text from the ATF manual: https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download

The “combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun” language refers to a group of parts designed and intended to be used in converting a weapon into a machinegun. A typical example is those M2 carbine parts that are only used to permit fully automatic fire in a US Carbine M1 or M2.

If selective fire trigger paks or trigger housings are modified so that they will function with semiautomatic HK firearms, the modified components are classified as parts designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun. These modified parts are also machineguns as defined.

So while spelling it out... its clear that the parts are designed to convert a specific semi or at least a set of specific semi autos.

What does this mean? Well unlike changing out an upper, you can not just add a conversion parts to any semi to make it a MG. For example, could you take a mini gun and make it so a HK trigger pak would work as a trigger? Lets face it, most modern guns could be made to have a HK trigger pak work. While they can make new guns these parts can fit, they can not change the guns these conversion parts were designed to work for. The HK sears and paks were not designed to use on a FN designed M249...

So until I hear more, I am writing these off as a legal gun to add a HK trigger pak. Trust me, no one would rather have it be legal, I just don't think it is. Please, please prove me wrong!!! Its the last reason I would need to get an HK sear.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    On a different note a friend of mine has 1 of these guns.it has been extremely unreliable. Everytime he brings it out to shoot, something breaks and it has to be sent back for repair! ! I have lost count on how many times it has made the trip back and forth .

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Hehe, yes I've been watching that story unfold.

Yeah, when the person representing the company says:

"It appears that there is a great deal of interest in this subject and that I need to seek additional advice on just what is allowable and what is not. I will change the way this is presented and seek further information about the subject. Thanks to all who shared info on the subject. To damcv62 I think it best to consult someone who knows the rules better than I do."

Thats pretty much saying that they can not state its legal to do...

Look, I REALLY hope they prove me wrong. I actually have almost enough for an HK sear right now, so please please lets see this be legal... however the writing is on the wall...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, its a lot of the same things I asked/argued with them over the phone. Now they are getting called out in public over it and back peddling.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

LOL. I can see it now:

Judge: "Were you on this phone call?"
    Defendant: "Umm, no."
    Judge: "Do you have a recording or are able to prove the ATF said this?"
    Defendant: "No and ummmm, no."
    Judge: "Can you get the ATF agent to testify under oath that said phone call took place and they said that?"
    Defendant: "No sir. I don't even know the agents name."
    Judge: "Guilty. 10yrs in prison. $100,000 fine. Felon and can no longer possess firearms."
    Defendant: "(being hauled away by the baliffs) SIR, BUT SOMEONE SAID IT ON THE INTERNET!"

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Why ask the question from ATF when you know the answer. No knowing the answer then can continue to sell these to unknowing or wish thinking people who think its legal to do. Plus how many people have $8K to spend on a semi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom