• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I've been looking through the forums and through websites trying to figure out if it's worth it to obtain a trust or just get a suppressor as an individual. Is it really worth it to set up a trust? The way I'm thinking now is that suppressors aren't the cheapest items out there so do I really want to pay someone to set up a trust? To be honest I'm not even sure how the whole trust thing works even though I've been reading about it sadly. Any info on what's our experiences were with either solution would be helpful. Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How many NFA items are you planning on getting? How many people do you want to have access to them?

If you decide to buy as an individual, wait until 41P takes effect in June. After that, no CLEO sign off will be required.

I have purchased from Engage and Duffys, they both made the transaction super easy. Although I did purchase with a trust. Also look through the IP section, BB Pawn and others also have great reputations here

Good luck

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It seems that most folks here end up getting a trust to avoid the pain and hassle of a CLEO sign off. Others get it for legal reasons such as naming others as trustees so they can use the items with out you being there. You can also name beneficiaries to receive items upon your death. There are 2 schools, go the cheap store bought boiler plate trust or have a good lawyer write one for you. There was just a thread on this, but that is one of many. Each person's circumstances are different. I went the store bought route first and got a 6 or 7 page trust. After sitting with an attorney, it went to 50 pages. She asked me questions I have not thought of to protect myself and my family based on my life. The ATF does not validate the legality of the trust, the courts will later if there is any kind of legal issue. If you plan on getting more class 3 stuff, a Trust makes it easy. Like DP said, if you dont need or want a
    trust, wait a few months since you will not need to ask the MSP for permission.

As for the dealers, there are a bunch of good ones around here. Duffy's, Engage, BB Pawn, etc. There is a run on suppressors now due to the rule changing, so if you find one in stock you like, buy it, then decide how you want to get it. The recommended dealers will walk you through the the process. Good luck. Be prepared to wait. Then be prepared to wait some more. ATF approval takes time. Its worth it though. Suppressors are fun an addictive.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Thanks for the good input guys, both responses helped. I think I'm gonna end up just getting the trust after all. Anyone confident with using some of the online trusts like coyote rifleworks or silencerco rather then going to your lawyer? I've seen the arguments in the other forums over whether your suppressors or whatever items you have in the trust would be safe down the road from the ATF. I figure I'd just do some kind of easy trust either but I'd want to know which company would be the best choice. Sorry for the long drawn out beginner questions, thanks again.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads