• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    Going to start predator hunting for the first time. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks that work for them? Any equipment you can recommend? I'm a beginner so thanks for any help.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Depends on how much you want to sink into the hobby. You can buy a predator hunting light (red/green) for $50-$200 and download a free call app on your phone. You can also spend thousands on an expensive electric call setup, moving decoy equipment, nvg/thermal equipment, suppressed rifle, etc.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Call Arnold Schwarzenegger or Danny Glover for good solid tips in hunting them. Although usually you end up being the hunted

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My advice, be careful.

Some predators shoot back.

don't drone me bro.jpg

Predhunter

Jan 9, 2017
    I have had pretty good luck this year. I went out one night last month and called in 4 coyotes in Washington county MD. Only was able to kill one. It was a cold night, little wind ,and no moon. That's seems to be the ideal conditions I have had the most luck with. I have a fox pro shockwave call. And just use a standard white spotlight. I started off with a rabbit distress call with an intent to call in foxes. I switched to a grey fox distress and after silencing the call for a minute I heard a lone howl of a coyote. I then switched to some howling and coyote vocals ,and had coyotes calling back seemed like from every direction ,different distances away. A closer pack of 4 maybe 5 coyotes were calling back in a tree line next to the field my call was set up in. One coyote then darted into the field and stopped 25 yards from the call. He was quickly put down by my .223. Some advice. Now is coyote mating season. Use coyote vocals. Hunt in the early mornings or late evenings. Know the laws and I recommend a fox pro.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    Call Arnold Schwarzenegger or Danny Glover for good solid tips in hunting them. Although usually you end up being the hunted

Tips won't really help because either way, you need to get hold of one of their own weapon technologies in order to not end up the prey!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have had pretty good luck this year. I went out one night last month and called in 4 coyotes in Washington county MD. Only was able to kill one. It was a cold night, little wind ,and no moon. That's seems to be the ideal conditions I have had the most luck with. I have a fox pro shockwave call. And just use a standard white spotlight. I started off with a rabbit distress call with an intent to call in foxes. I switched to a grey fox distress and after silencing the call for a minute I heard a lone howl of a coyote. I then switched to some howling and coyote vocals ,and had coyotes calling back seemed like from every direction ,different distances away. A closer pack of 4 maybe 5 coyotes were calling back in a tree line next to the field my call was set up in. One coyote then darted into the field and stopped 25 yards from the call. He was quickly put down by my .223. Some advice. Now is coyote mating season. Use coyote vocals. Hunt in the early mornings or late evenings. Know the laws and I recommend a fox pro.

If you ever need an extra person to join, I would be willing to see what predator hunting is all about(I'm not too far from you). I've never been on a hunt before and they sound fun!

odomo

May 8, 2018
    Iowa,Des Moines
    I'm really liking that Primos gun light. I'm out on the front porch most nights around 10 pm, and it has enough beam for me to see to the front gate, which is about 130ish yards. I have found that it works best to keep the scope power on the low end of the variable scale. That gets me most light and field of view, which of course is obvious but is also what I ignored a couple of times. I haven't gone the 12 volt route yet. I put the battery on a string loop that I put around my neck, but the battery is heavy and two of them seems a bit much. From critter watching, I'll say that possums, skunks, raccoons and hogs don't get too worried when the light hits them. Deer run like crazy. Haven't had a coyote in the light yet, so I don't know how that's going to go.I just purchased the VRL-1 Ultimate Kit and the VRL-1 Scanning Light https://bestoutdooritems.com/predator-hunting-lights-reviews/ These lights were very affordable. I have not yet used them in the field, but I expect that they will act very strongly. Between the light mounted on the gun with red and green LEDs, scanning light, 2 rechargeable batteries, wall charger and car charger, and gun mounts, I spent only 230 dollars.On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on the topic of comparison, so look at this, I hope this helps when choosing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKhk1nXmTI

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom