• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I recently sent in a request to the National Archives for my Paternal Great Grandfather's service records from his time in the Marine Corps during WW2. It took a few months and $70, but I received a 90 page packet with everything they had on him.

Most of it was just junk paperwork pertaining to life insurance and medical records, but there was some interesting stuff that told what troop ships he boarded when he was sent to the Pacific, and that he saw combat on Okinawa. He was in the 6th Motor Transport Btn. of the 6th Marine Division. I've been trying to find out more info about his unit but I haven't been able to find much at all on Google.

The coolest thing I saw, was that there was a page from a log book where he recorded his M1 Garand's serial number. The number is 992735 which from what I found, looks like it was made by Springfield Armory in or around November 1942.

Total longshot and I know it will probably never pan out, but I would really appreciate it if all of you guys would keep your eyes out for this rifle, and if it's ever recovered, I will give a very generous finder's fee to whoever finds it.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    For $25 (I think it's $25), the CMP will look up that S/N and let you know if its ever passed through their hands.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Springfield Garand made in that same month, Nov. 42. It still has it's original barrel, too. But it's a little late, just slightly over 1,000,000.

Meanwhile, your GREAT Grandfather? You must be young! I think my Great Grandfather served in the Indian Wars, maybe the Pequod War.

Pretty cool getting his records, though.

http://thegca.org/ Garand Collectors Association

You can post a classified ad in their magazine for a search for that rifle.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I'd love to help you, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Who knows, it could have been destroyed or even sent to another country as aid. Wish u luck, but you prolly will never find it.

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    Most of it was just junk paperwork pertaining to life insurance and medical records, but there was some interesting stuff that told what troop ships he boarded when he was sent to the Pacific, and that he saw combat on Okinawa. He was in the 6th Motor Transport Btn. of the 6th Marine Division. I've been trying to find out more info about his unit but I haven't been able to find much at all on Google.

I can't help you out with the Garand, but my father was at Okinawa, 1st Div, 2nd Bat, 7th Marines. He was in a Rifle Company and first took Dekeshi Ridge, followed by the Shuri Heights. There is a TON of information on the battle available, but it does take some looking into to find individual unit actions. Try Googling "special action report" and "observers report."

I eventually found the official battlefield report for my fathers unit. It does make mention of the 6th Division during the initial landing, PM me your email address and I will gladly forward you a copy.

Also, not all the units of the 6th Marines went ashore. Several were held back for ocean operations.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Meanwhile, your GREAT Grandfather? You must be young! I think my Great Grandfather served in the Indian Wars, maybe the Pequod War.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm 24 years old, so I guess I could be considered pretty young.

I realize that I'll probably never find the rifle, but stranger things have happened. I can at least spend the time looking for it with the hope that I might get lucky. Interestingly enough, I know where one of my other ancestor's Musket from the Revolutionary War is. It's in a small museum in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He was a famous (well famous to the area at least) Colonel in the Continental Army named John Henry Antes who defended the area from Indian and Tory attacks during the war.

Here's a picture of my Great Grandfather and the excerpt of what it says about his service on Okinawa.

Attachments

• Stanley Russell Bassett Picture Edited.jpg
      Stanley Russell Bassett Picture Edited.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 829
    • Stanely Russell Bassett.jpg
      Stanely Russell Bassett.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 860

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...I know where one of my other ancestor's Musket from the Revolutionary War is. It's in a small museum in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He was a famous (well famous to the area at least) Colonel in the Continental Army named John Henry Antes who defended the area from Indian and Tory attacks during the war.

That's pretty interesting.

330px-Colonel_Antes_Tombstone.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Antes

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

That's him. I have a picture of the Musket somewhere but I can't find it. I've got half a mind to offer the museum curator a "donation" for it, but like Indiana Jones said "It belongs in a museum!".

His brother was famous for being the first person to cast a cannon in the New World in order to supply them for the Continental Army. The British put a price on his head and he barely got away. Apparently they came rushing through the front door of his house and he ran out the back door and escaped.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Awesome thread! I'll check my numbers when i get home.

I didnt realize that the National Archives provided this service. Can you post a link on where we can read up on this if anyone wants to get the info on their family?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Awesome thread! I'll check my numbers when i get home.

I didnt realize that the National Archives provided this service. Can you post a link on where we can read up on this if anyone wants to get the info on their family?

https://www.archives.gov/veterans

There's the link. I think you can submit them online or through the mail. It takes several months and $70. Unfortunately if you're looking for somebody in the Army (or Navy/Airforce? I think there was another service included) there was a huge fire in the 1970's that destroyed 80%+ of the Army's service records from WWI and after. They will try and piece together anything they have for you though.

You need a number of items of information to give in addition to your request. Like the service member's full name, SSN, military serial number, DOB, and service. I think WW2 records are public, but if it's after a certain date only next of kin can request the records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom