• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    sa box.jpg Interesting stamp located behind recoil lug of a M1903 rifle #1455294. Anybody have an idea why it's there?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No, I bought it at auction 1 maybe 2 years ago. What do you think it means? I think it was used as a gauge or a standard of some sort, but I'm just guessing. Or it could be some sort of factory second .The rifle was built into a very nice sporter/target rifle around 1952.

cimiM1

Dec 20, 2013
    PA
    There are two more rifles that have the same marking on this data page. Close in serial number:

http://www.vishooter.net/SA.txt

SA 1460949 SA 7-34 NS bolt, SA/SPG, 1905 high hump handguard, barrel "C & R" and "SA ONLY", receiver "USE IN SA ONLY"/"C-R"/"B1"
    SA 1464588 Drill, C-R, SA Only

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I really have NO clue. At the auction I spoke of I acquired my first two military firearms. A sporterized 1931 production m1903 and a 1943 longbranch enfield. Prior to about two weeks ago I had very limited knowledge of them. I have been reading as much as I can about them. That's what lead me to the C&R page here. I'll try and take a few pictures of them tomorrow. I wish I could answer more for you but I'm still learning.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Rick the Librarian messaged today and said that at one time he was in discussion about the boxed stamp but it was too long ago to remember. A sported 1903 sounds interesting, some were done really well and pictures would be great. I bought a new sporter Krag barrel at Goldsboro years ago for about 5 bucks. This one I bought because there was no interest in it and it came with the original order and bill of sale from 52. It was built in Yonkers NY. I think the smith just collected parts from wherever he could get them and assembled per order. The serial# is 5 digits from a NM rifle.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    JB Reply

Seasons' Greetings!

Thanks for your interest and inquiry!

Springfield Armory received no orders for new service rifles after 1927 and was relegated to overhauling existing service rifles turned in from troops in the field. This was a responsibility that they shared with other arsenals and depots around the world. But to facilitate overhaul at other arsenals and depots, Springfield Armory had to manufacture and ship them spare parts, including new receivers to replace low number receivers on rifles turned in for overhaul.

Although I can't prove it, I am very confident that the "USE IN SA ONLY" indicates you have a 2nd class receiver. Specifically, the receiver has a machining error, is out of tolerance and, therefore, fails to meet interchangeability requirements, and couldn't be shipped out to another arsenal or depot as a spare replacement part. The receiver would require some custom fitting or parts selection to fit properly. Nothing went to waste. So rather than scrap the expensive receiver, SA would manufacture or hand-fit a custom part to the receiver to overcome the machining error.

Thanks again for your interest and inquiry! And Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    the "USE IN SA ONLY" indicates you have a 2nd class receiver. Specifically, the receiver has a machining error, is out of tolerance and, therefore, fails to meet interchangeability requirements, and couldn't be shipped out to another arsenal or depot as a spare replacement part. The receiver would require some custom fitting or parts selection to fit properly. Nothing went to waste. So rather than scrap the expensive receiver, SA would manufacture or hand-fit a custom part to the receiver to overcome the machining error.

I'll give you $50 for it :D

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    C-R was a joke.

That they knew ahead of time that the rifle would be C&R (Curio and Relic) one day.

Oh I know you were being sarcastic and what you meant. I was having fun as well.

I came across a large file at NARA with scores of SNs (all which have most likely been found by Frank Mallory and logged in the SRS as "C&R," since they are already in there) The rifles were listed as "Cleaned and Repaired" and then abbreviated them as C&R.

Just thought I'd take your post as a opportunity to elaborate.

Happy New Year! Hope you didn't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom