• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    After many years of unsuccessfully chasing after this gun type, I finally snagged one. I got Dennis Kroh's email notice while I was using my phone right after a meeting and quickly pretended like I was still listening to the client speak as I quickly shot Dennis an email saying that I wanted it. It had been 2 minutes since the email landed on my inbox. I was thrilled when I read his signature reply: "You GOT IT! ~~~~~~".

That was last Wednesday afternoon, and in classic Empire Arms' efficiency, it was on its way that afternoon. I picked it up this morning at the UPS Center as we missed the delivery yesterday.

It's a 1960 model, and it came with 2 magazines and a canvas holster. The gun is in excellent condition. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it this morning, and while a bit dry and with some fouling in the bolt head, there was no other adverse wear I could see. The finish is terrific, only a bit of holster wear on the left side of the slide. The barrel had a tiny bit of fouling that came right off with a light cleaning.

IMG_2827-s.jpg

IMG_2826-s.jpg

I'm glad to have finally found my EG Mak. :party29: It joins its other German compatriots in my safe, including my Sauer Model H with VOPO markings. I'm looking forward to taking it out shooting next time I have a chance.

Jul 1, 2012
    That's a very nice-looking Mak.
    What is the marking in the little box just above the trigger?

You'll rarely go wrong with something from Dennis.

But as with any potential purchase it pays to do your homework first...
    For instance both the Ballester-Molinas in that same batch have been refinished (parkerized) but claimed to be original finish
    (B-M's were blued with hammer & trigger in the white).
    The Army gun actually had two import marks, both apparently covered by the park'd finish (doh!).

He also had the S/N's wrong (which is maybe why the A/F sold so high) -
    he mistook the rack/inventory number for the S/N which is actually on the left rear frame and underneath the slide.
    A pretty common misunderstanding.

The Sistema's have the S/N on right side frame (and inside back of frame), top of slide, and barrel hood but on B-M's that's the rack #.
    (fun fact for the day).

Definitely nice-looking guns ... and I'm sure he wasn't trying to pull a fast one, just didn't know himself.
    Both sold for a ton of money for a B-M.

But I digress....

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's interesting, too, that yours appears to have been one of the few that had several quality control inspections done. They usually did the various inspections at random, and only to representative samples. (See marks to the right of the date stamps.)

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    It's interesting, too, that yours appears to have been one of the few that had several quality control inspections done. They usually did the various inspections at random, and only to representative samples. (See marks to the right of the date stamps.)

Yep, you're right, it looks to have 7 out of the 8 radial inspection strikes around the "Z"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom