• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Northern Baltimore County
    Need about another 12-14 inches of blown in attic insulation installed in about a 920 square ft. attic. No lights or electrical wires to contend with. Can anyone help-not an emergency but would like to get it done before summer. Zip code 21030 Baltimore County. Thanks 410-274-4243 (cell)

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Have you had BGE do an "energy audit"? If they are still doing it they will pay 50% of the cost for improvements. Worth looking into.

Sorry, can't help with the contractor.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I did this once myself for a workshop I built. I rented the blower from Lowes. It was a pretty messy job but did not take too long. I used a non-fiberglass product. The real key is to have baffles along the lower edge of the roof so that the insulation does not end up in your soffit.

2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Best deal with BGE right now is 25% off. Home Depot will give free machine rental with the purchase of 10 bags of Owens Corning. I figure I need about 16 bags to do my job at about $30 a bag. Have done this myself in the distant past but 30 years and 50 lbs. later I am looking to hire someone else to do it.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Best deal with BGE right now is 25% off. Home Depot will give free machine rental with the purchase of 10 bags of Owens Corning. I figure I need about 16 bags to do my job at about $30 a bag. Have done this myself in the distant past but 30 years and 50 lbs. later I am looking to hire someone else to do it.

Carroll Insulation - ask for Matt. Good Company.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Try Larry from High Performance Homes. He is a member and I believe an IP.

2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Have had several contracters out and BGE Home. All costs are $1,200 Plus. This insulation costs me less than $500 at Depot with free machine rental. I know they are getting it for less than that. Can't believe someone won't do this 2-3 hour job for insulation cost plus 3-$400. Any takers out there?

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    Try giving ac&r insulation a call If you haven't tried them yet. They are in Elkridge md. They did my house over the winter. Quality job done by them.Job was 1100 for the whole house. Which included lots of cathedral batts and about 900sqft blown to an r39 rating.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A couple years ago I found that for most of us (proven by energy audit) most need more insulation in the attic.

I had a very handy friend come look at my attic and insulation. We concluded that all though I maybe could use another inch; it wasn't worth all the time/labor fixing the soffit protectors, rent the machine to blow in extra insulation.

If you have no insulation, definitely do it.

I wonder if there is a type of insulation that doesn't require a machine to blow it in.

Last edited:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    DeVere Insulation is very economical and quick to respond. I used them for some projects and my friend used them all the time for his work.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Need about another 12-14 inches of blown in attic insulation installed in about a 920 square ft. attic. No lights or electrical wires to contend with. Can anyone help-not an emergency but would like to get it done before summer. Zip code 21030 Baltimore County. Thanks 410-274-4243 (cell)
    Devere insulation.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    If they only they sold it in rolls!?!
    :innocent0

I spent my Saturday adding r30 rolls to my attic. Highest point is 4'6". I have 4 more rolls to finish and said EFF that and didn't go back up today. I wish I had paid someone to do it but it only cost me about 340 bucks this way.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I spent my Saturday adding r30 rolls to my attic. Highest point is 4'6". I have 4 more rolls to finish and said EFF that and didn't go back up today. I wish I had paid someone to do it but it only cost me about 340 bucks this way.

That sounds just like mine. I dread the thought of it. How many sq ft did you have to cover? Did you just stay away from the soffits or put those pink baffles up in-between the trusses?

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Have you had BGE do an "energy audit"? If they are still doing it they will pay 50% of the cost for improvements. Worth looking into.

Sorry, can't help with the contractor.

My wife and I did this last year. The BGE rebate was the main selling point on us getting our insulation done. That being said, it took us almost a year to get the rebate from when we filed for it. To be fair it wasnt the contractors fault. BGE really likes to drag their feet when THEY owe YOU money. It ended up being a giant headache. Just a word of caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom