• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    So I've been doing a lot of reading in the two calibers since I am limited to 1 receiver prior to the ban and its pretty much a life long commitment unless I move out of the state.

I am not so worried about ballistics or anything. This will be a weekend shooter for me. A lot of the info on the internet however seems to be old so it's kind of useless. Prior to all this price jumps I've read that 5.45 was significantly cheaper than 7.62. From what I've read, 7.62 on the other hand is more readily available.

Looking into the future what is a better choice? Do you guys think 5.45 will once again be cheap? Will 5.45 be readily available or could there be issues with it becoming scarce? I know the 5.45mm is the new issued ammo, but does the ban in importing surplus guns also effect ammo? Which would you chose for a range gun? What are your opinions on the future of the two calibers?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I went with 7.62 due to the fact I already had SKS rifles, and during the ammo crisis, I was still able to find boxes of 7.62 here and there at Walmart. I have heard the 5.45 has less recoil and is slightly more accurate, but 7.62 is adequate for my needs. I also only need to stock the 1 intermediate caliber few a couple rifles. All the 5.45 I have seen has needed to be mail ordered. I haven't seen 5.45 in any local gunshops. Just my .02

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Personally I went with a 7.62

I don't need another small, fast or accurate round. That's what I have AR's chambered in 5.56 for.

I'd rather have something that packs more of a punch at ranges of 100 yards or less.

I may decide to build a AR chambered in 5.45 down the road but not until non-corrosive 5.45 becomes widely available. Now, it seems like the only 5.45 available in large quantities is corrosive. I don't always get the chance to clean my rifles right away after shooting them and I don't want them rusting out on me.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    5.45 is still basically the cheapest centerfire cartridge out there in terms of price per round - assuming you buy the Russian 7N6 surplus in bulk. The rub is that it's imported, corrosive ammo and if the imported stuff goes away for any reason, the domestic supply (Hornady) is very expensive. So if you get a 74 in 5.45 - you should probably plan to stockpile some of the Russian ammo. It comes in 1,000 round sealed spam cans so there is really nothing to storing it other than putting the cans some place cool and dry.

The advantage of the 74 is that you can shoot it a lot because the ammo is so cheap, the recoil is lower and the accuracy at longer ranges will be a bit better. If you are trying to reach out 200 yards+ the 74 is probably your better bet.

The advantage of the 7.62 is you can get reasonably inexpensive, non-corrosive ammo from a lot of sources, and it has more punch for targets behind cover. If you want the "classic" AK experience with that bigger, heavier round, that's the 47.

Honestly, if you already have an AR and can only have one, I would get the 47. The 74 is "better" in some senses, there is a reason why the Russians moved from the 47 to the 74. But the 5.45 and 5.56 are so similar and I just don't know how anybody can recommend that your only AK should be something that doesn't shoot 7.62.

Best decision - suck it up and buy one of both and then lick your financial wounds all winter. You won't be sorry you own both come next spring.

Definitely go on gun bot and look at the price difference between 7.62, 5.45 and 5.56 per round before making your final call. If you are a cheap bastard like me that also likes to shoot a lot of rounds at every range trip - that might overcome the "classic AK" preference.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    The 74 is the "new" classic

I’ve said it many times, the best 5.45 ammo available is the corrosive surplus, just like the 7.62 that shooters love, is surplus (Chinese & Yugo M67) Golden Tiger is at this time available in 5.45

Attachments

• DSCN0444 (2).jpg
      DSCN0444 (2).jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 321

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Im starting to build a 74. I already have an AR and basically what I thought was that if I ever wanted to shoot the 7.62 rounds I would get an SKS.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    S/A AK-47 for historical reasons.

S/A AK-74 as the operational successor to the 47, again for historical reasons.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I'm one of those new AK guys too. If only one, I'd go 7.62.

It's an evolution though. I see why people eventually pick up one in 5.45 (or even 5.56).

After picking up a SGL 21 I said I had no interest whatsoever in 5.45. That's what my AR is for. Eventually I started to see the benefits of a lighter round in the same rock solid AK platform so I picked up a 5.45 receiver.

I'm running on fumes but I'm considering one last purchase (either a SGL 31 or SLR 106).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an AR-15 and a -74, both in 5.45x39. No regrets. 5.45x39 is almost always obtainable at a lower price than 5.56x45, and 7N6 is like corrosive M855 for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of M855.

7.62x39 is an obsolete caliber that has below-average ballistics and meh terminal effects without going to fancy (8M3, SP, M67) bullets. There is a reason that the Soviets migrated to 5.45x39...

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I own both and just got to shoot my 74 this past weekend for the first time.
    If ballistics is what you are lookin' for, go 74.
    If only one, I would go with the 47 for historicals and readily available ammo.
    If you can swing it, get both!

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    No technical reason, but firing 7.62X39 leaves a big smile on my face :D:D... I almost shoot it as much as my .22lr. It may also be that my Yugo maybe far better than I thought it would be. YMMV

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    7.62 for me. Really for the historical aspect. Just purchased my first AK last week, a milled Bulgarian SAM7R-61. Gonna do my best to make it look like a late 1950's Type 3. Already have a wood stock set on order with the period correct patterns.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have an AR-15 and a -74, both in 5.45x39. No regrets. 5.45x39 is almost always obtainable at a lower price than 5.56x45, and 7N6 is like corrosive M855 for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of M855.

7.62x39 is an obsolete caliber that has below-average ballistics and meh terminal effects without going to fancy (8M3, SP, M67) bullets. There is a reason that the Soviets migrated to 5.45x39...

It's cheaper, lighter and more accurate. 7.62 though packs a hell of a punch. For close quarter combat, I think the 7.62 is the better round. 200 yards is another story.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I ordered the 7.62 today. I kind of wanted the extra recoil and wanted something bigger than the 5.56. Plus the 5.56 is more adaptable so it can be converted to a 9mm, 5.45, 6.8spc. Plus I figured the 5.56 and 5.45 were pretty much the same for my use.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I ordered the 7.62 today. I kind of wanted the extra recoil and wanted something bigger than the 5.56. Plus the 5.56 is more adaptable so it can be converted to a 9mm, 5.45, 6.8spc. Plus I figured the 5.56 and 5.45 were pretty much the same for my use.

Yup, you're right. That's exactly why I didn't opt for the 5.45 when purchasing my first and only AK. 5.56 and 5.45 are too close to each. I may do a 5.45 Upper if that caliber ever becomes widely available like 7.62. Right now, all you can really get is corrosive stuff for good price. I'm too lazy for corrosive ammo and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom