Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Notices

Old November 14th, 2017, 01:41 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
"Nickle" plated cases are actually cadmium plated . Yes , the original intent was to reduce tarnishing, and other degradation the brass . Nickle cases left too long in leather loops Will get funky , but take longer to do so .

Nickle cases have lower coefficient of friction than plain brass ( slipperyier ) , which in theory might make them feed smoother in semiautos.

The plating process does make them slightly more brittle than otherwise identical plain brass ( but lots of other factors for that ) . Not an issue for factory loaded ammo , but reloaders will sometimes find neck splits occurring after fewer loadings than plain brass , but lots of other factors again ) .

Yes , there are such things as aluminum cases, you will imeadately tell them from the weight. For consumer market , they were pioneered by CCI's Blazer line of low cost ammo . Very early ammo had occasional sticking in pistol cal leverguns , but in a cpl years CCI worked it out .

Works fine in factory ammo , for all practical purposes can't be reused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt23preston View Post
I have reloaded thousands of 9mm, 38 Sp & 45 ACP nickle plated cases & have never had a problem loading or shooting them, BUT...

I have found that the nickle plated cases split sooner (after 7 - 10 reloads)...

Load them if you have them...

Let me qualify that by saying all my dies were made by Dillon and are Carbide Steel (Tougher & Harder than regular steel dies)
I'm pretty sure Biggfoot was referring to the Al cases as being not so good for reloading.
ShafTed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:20 PM #12

I was referring to alum cases as total no-go for reloading . Sgt23 made the same observations about nickel cases I was trying for.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns