• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshua M. Smith

Hoosier
    Apr 8, 2011
    Wabash IN
    Hello,

I was playing with different methods of shining brass.

Wet tumbling, I used 2 cups water and added one tablespoon lime juice.

This is the result:

I hope this helps someone!

Regards,

Josh

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    lemon or lime juice in the little squeeze bottles, many use lemon shine powder.
    touch of dish soap.

I have said it a number of times but I tried stainless steel pins, but stopped as I felt it was UN-necessary and added more labor unless your range brass was grass pickup that was nasty.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I have said it a number of times but I tried stainless steel pins, but stopped as I felt it was UN-necessary and added more labor unless your range brass was grass pickup that was nasty.

Good to know. I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I use a squirt of Dawn and a pinch of lemishine in an ultrasonic cleaner for 8 minutes and they are like new inside and out. Primer pockets are also clean. No need for a tumbler anymore. I dry them in an old food dehydrator which take about 20 minutes. It also does a great job on my pistols. They come out like new. :)

Ken

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    lemon or lime juice in the little squeeze bottles, many use lemon shine powder.
    touch of dish soap.

I finally had enough brass collected to re-tumble after initially tumbling with pins and I tried it with no pins this time. Just as shiny on the outside, inside dirty which I don't care about, but the primer pockets were quite dirty. I know the soot inside of the case will keep burning itself off but I'm not sure if the primer pockets will eventually fill up and need a manual cleaning?

I have the blue clam shell Franklin pin separator/rinser setup which works very well and still want to use it for rinsing even without pins because it also removes most of the water from inside of the cases.. The top of the "bucket unit" has a very fine screen to catch the pins but lets the dirty water flow out. I can remove almost all of the pins by flowing clean water through the drum while shaking it before putting the cases in the rinser. That's actually the only step that adds time when using pins so it may not be worth going pinless if I have to manually clean the primer pockets.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Dawn and a little bit of pure citric acid. I found it at a hardware store for canning tomatoes. I bought a quart of the Franklin cleaner just to try it out and it works good with dawn also.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I use dawn and LemiShine and I love how good the Franklin tumbler works, but man it is a HUGE pain.

I like the results, and the fact that I'm exposing myself and my house to much less potentially harmful dust. Sometimes I still just use my dry tumbler though. I scratched up my bathtub dealing with the stainless pins/bucket/tub/magnet/etc. My sink is too shallow to be useful.

Oh well, it's a rental :o

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My old Franklin Arsenal media tumbler just crooked after 10 years of use. Time to buy a new one. What brand/type of tumbler is being used to wet tumble brass?

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    I use a tumbler from HF. Haven't had any issues with it so far and comes out clean(I use lemishine, dawn, and stainless pins). Don't have experience with any others though.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My old Franklin Arsenal media tumbler just crooked after 10 years of use. Time to buy a new one. What brand/type of tumbler is being used to wet tumble brass?

Get the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. They were on sale at Cabelas and Amazon for $130 on Black Friday. The price fluctuates, so you can snag a good deal if you can wait.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Good choice. I picked one up before xmas last year when it was on sale. Have not used the pins yet, but with just water and a little dish soap they came out pretty nice.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I built my own wet tumbler from PVC and an electric motor. I can clean 7lbs of brass with 7lbs of stainless pins, 1TBS of dawn and a 9mm cartridge full of lemishine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom