• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    They make other versions of tools with different ends like nail sets, number/letter stamps and small chisels. All are useful.

http://springtools.shptron.com/

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is nice! Gonna get one of those Spring tools as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
      IMG_0729.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 283

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There is some seriously stupid advice in this thread.

If you don't have thread class gauges you should stake. A castle nut loosening is not always benign. The retainer becoming dislodged can wreck the lower as can the carrier key impacting the lower.

There are 3 common punches used for staking.

1) Starrett 117c
    2) Mayhew 5/32
    3) Spring Loaded Center Punch

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    small quality Philips screwdriver works well also. Sterritt staking punches are worth it though.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Related to the Loctite suggestion, I'm currently "experimenting" with Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3. I've use this on my last two builds and although it's way too soon to really evaluate it's longevity, it does appear to help secure it. It's removable so if it doesn't hold up I can always return to staking. I also use this stuff on miscellaneous set screws on my AERO M4E1 lowers as an added precaution.

Edit: Oops. I didn't see Chad's response so I retract everything I said. I guess my experiment is OVER.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Related to the Loctite suggestion, I'm currently "experimenting" with Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3. I've use this on my last two builds and although it's way too soon to really evaluate it's longevity, it does appear to help secure it. It's removable so if it doesn't hold up I can always return to staking. I also use this stuff on miscellaneous set screws on my AERO M4E1 lowers as an added precaution.

Edit: Oops. I didn't see Chad's response so I retract everything I said. I guess my experiment is OVER.

VC-3 is actually the alternative I use when end plates can't be staked or thread tolerances are poor.

This applies to end plates that are super hard like Magpul (they can crack when staked), are soft (aluminum), and titanium (can chip).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom