Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 1st, 2020, 10:31 PM #11

Been using my 44super Redhawk, put a red dot on it. Debating scope or dot had one laying around so put the dot on . Glad to hear you are heading out , have a great time and enjoy . I like my pistol because it’s just different from lugging a rifle around. Have fun and I hope you harvest something.
Virgil Co.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:02 PM #12

I haven't deliberately put an optic on a revolver . But once upon a time aquired a NM Blackhawk .41 at a price that I would have gone for w/o optic , figuring nothing to loose .

Tried my default starting point handload , and it did sub 1in @ 25yds
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:11 AM #13
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
I'm not reading minds , but I don't think that was necessarily an invitation to a urination contest .

Speaking in my own voice ; The discussion should be around what is a suitable distance guideline for ( every ) hunter . Like everything , there is debate about the details .

A commonly invoced rule of thumb is to be able to put 4 out of 5 shots on a 10in paper plate , from field relevant position/ stance .

Was the embedded 50 yd target fired standing ? Then experement with shooting from a rested or braced position @ 50 yds . A the rule of thumb size groups might be more in the neighborhood of 25yds presently from unsupported standing .

No shaming or ridicule intended for anyone
Heck the whole point of Handgun Hunting is for the challenge of the endeavor . Challenge individually or cumulatively of stalking , skill in pre- selecting ambush spot , and honing marksmanship skills .

Heck , I'm a big bore fan , and curious about trying the stretched BFRs , I would enjoy an opportunity to try one out @ MSR . ( And with my 1.5 bad arms at the moment , you might have a leg up in any friendly sporting propositions . )

Added - Your PM box is not turned on . If you could be up for inviting for a range session , PM me , or see me at most MSI events .
I was standing with no support other than my 2 hands once I got use to the weight and handling all the rest were in the zone. I do not bench rest or use any supports when shooting long guns or hand guns.
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:36 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys View Post
I was standing with no support other than my 2 hands once I got use to the weight and handling all the rest were in the zone. I do not bench rest or use any supports when shooting long guns or hand guns.
Harry, I see you've indicated being involved in hunting since 1970. Just make sure to use the most expensive bullets that you can if you choose to any field work from something like maybe uhm a moving helicopter and you should be GTG

That way if you get a flyer into the 8 or 9 ring on an animal with a 17 moa vital zone at 40 yds you wont have to tell anyone if you were a little off that day.
Or place a field tag on the horns when you post up a picture for that matter.

Good luck this year and give em hell with all you got. Hope you get the big one!
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 11:06 AM #15
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
OP, I'll glad meet you for a session, but please don't think I was challenging you. I'd like you to succeed this season.

I just really hate to see folks wound and lose deer. I would argue that for any gun/bow/whatever folks want to hunt with that the criteria is tighter. My expectations are 50/50 shots in a 6 inch target. From the exact positions used to hunt. Whatever maximum distance that gets you is the max distance to hunt.

Most people shoot worse in the field than at the range. Sticking farther inside our comfort zone will ensure more recovered deer.
A little background:

I have been hunting since 1965 on the farm had a Remington 22/410 over and under. Shot my first deer that year at about 50 yards on the farm. Got my first hunting license in 1970. At 12 it was my first year trapping. Trapper about 150 muskrats sold at the fur auction for $2.50 each. Back then my parents were only making 35 to 50 dollars a week. I then went on was trapping fox, skunk, beaver, mink and weasels and making good money doing so.

When I was in the Coast Guard I was able to hunt Kodiak bear in Alaska, Elk in Montana, alligators, deer, nutria and hogs in Louisiana, hogs in Georgia, deer, bear and turkey in the north east and moose in Maine. Have never hunted water fowl not in my wheel house.

That said I do understand where you are coming from. Holding a 5.5 pound
large caliber pistol without any form of support and at the age of 65 is challenging have you tried it? Yes, my first few rounds were not pretty. However, when I got the feel all the rest were very tightly grouped. I have never hunted with a pistol always carried one as a back up when hunting except for MD as their laws suck.

I am a tracker not a stand hunter and have never used a scope other than my Ruger 10/22 which came with it. There is only one time I wounded an animal and had to track it. If the shot is not there I do not take it.

Back in the late 70's while serving in the USCG I was assigned to special duty with other OGAs for my tracking skills. My job was to track/hunt 2 legged animals in a third world country. Not proud of what I had to do and did not use a scope then as it always got in the way when things were moving fast. AT 65 I still have 20/15 vision and before I retired I was averaging 5 miles a day walking at my job sites. I am not a large person 5'8" at a 160 pounds.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 11:45 AM #16
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
Harry, I see you've indicated being involved in hunting since 1970. Just make sure to use the most expensive bullets that you can if you choose to any field work from something like maybe uhm a moving helicopter and you should be GTG

That way if you get a flyer into the 8 or 9 ring on an animal with a 17 moa vital zone at 40 yds you wont have to tell anyone if you were a little off that day.
Or place a field tag on the horns when you post up a picture for that matter.

Good luck this year and give em hell with all you got. Hope you get the big one!
I currently match reload all my bullets do not buy store bought ammo, 45/70, 30/30, 40 Cal S&W and 50 Cal S&W Mags. Previously reloaded 308, 30/06, 7.62 , 12 gauge, 223, 222, and 40 Cal colt long.

Will post some pics when/if I cull one.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 11:54 AM #17
Hole in the Wall Tom

Hole in the Wall Tom

I just noticed the other day after lunch on Solomon's that DNR had an office there. I always used to use the one in Benedict before switching to online. I plan on taking advantage of the new straight wall rules now also. Currently I plan on using 44mag, either S&W Performance Center 629 or Henry Big Boy. When I went bear hunting a couple of years ago in Western MD I carried a Desert Eagle in 44mag just in case. I had checked with The DNR up there about using it and he replied he hoped I got one with the pistol since it would be a first for them.

"A wise man's mind will change, a fool's never will" Bobby Osborne
hitwtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 12:01 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys View Post
I currently match reload all my bullets do not buy store bought ammo, 45/70, 30/30, 40 Cal S&W and 50 Cal S&W Mags. Previously reloaded 308, 30/06, 7.62 , 12 gauge, 223, 222, and 40 Cal colt long.

Will post some pics when/if I cull one.
If you run up against for interference due to other hunter density or run into a dry spell for harvest opportunities let me know.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2020, 06:04 PM #19
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitwtom View Post
I just noticed the other day after lunch on Solomon's that DNR had an office there. I always used to use the one in Benedict before switching to online. I plan on taking advantage of the new straight wall rules now also. Currently I plan on using 44mag, either S&W Performance Center 629 or Henry Big Boy. When I went bear hunting a couple of years ago in Western MD I carried a Desert Eagle in 44mag just in case. I had checked with The DNR up there about using it and he replied he hoped I got one with the pistol since it would be a first for them.
DNR moved from Prince Frederick to Solomon's pretty recently. That was where I picked this years hunting license. My Daughter-in-laws family hails from Solomon's. I often eat at Boomerang's and chat with Billy.

The 44 is is a sweet caliber, I had a hog leg Ruger single six back in the early 80's. Used it in Louisiana as my back up whish I kept it.

I have a Henry 45/70 Octagon barrel with brass receiver. was thinking about using it this year as DNR says it is not a bottle neck cartage and can be used in all counties. But going to use the 50 Cal S&W revolver it has a 7.5" barrel no porting like the S&W model.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports