• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It will partially depend on your priorities of which specific states you frequently vist/ are important to you.

Penna - Need a NH
    Florida - Florida
    Delaware - Utah
    Virginia - ( Specifically for GFSZ redundencyl) - Va
    Las Vegas - Arizona

For all around, whole buncha states, UT, FL, AZ basically tied, Va just barely behind.

UT requires a UT specific class, but it is readily available from several of our IP's and others at reasonable cost. And Utah is inexpensive ( most inexpensive ? ), with cheap renewals .

But if Del and Penna are equally important to you, you will need two Non-resident permits. But both Del and Pa are open carry friendly (except Phila) if you only occasionally vist there.

When did Las Vegas become a state???? :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Take UT class, get UT, as it covers the most states.

Based on UT course, you can get FL, needed for FL.

I got VA due to GFSZA. It seems some VA troppers have hassled people with non-VA permits in school zones. Chepa insurance.

NH for PA, not class needed.

I want to add NV, as that adds MN. TX also does, and TX is good for PA also.

Take your pick.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Take UT class, get UT, as it covers the most states.

Based on UT course, you can get FL, needed for FL.

I got VA due to GFSZA. It seems some VA troppers have hassled people with non-VA permits in school zones. Chepa insurance.

NH for PA, not class needed.

I want to add NV, as that adds MN. TX also does, and TX is good for PA also.

Take your pick.

I prefer the AZ permit over UT because of the training. Utah takes a special class, AZ does not. UT gives you Washington, but AZ gives you NM

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    va and fla are easy to get, no too expensive and don't take all that long but if you go to pa I believe you will have to open carry but I don't mind that a bit. I don't go north unless it absolutely necessary anyway, enough Yankees down here now I don't need to get around any more of them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I actually have been to other parts of NV, and not been to LV. But Las Vegas is overwhelmingly the population center, and overwhelmingly the travel destination.

Main point, if you wish to be able to * conceal* in the states that border Maryland, multiple Permits are required.

Secondary point - You need to prioritize which non-contigous states you actually will visit. Everywhere is a real goal in itself, but there is a point of diminishing return of more and more additional Permits to just pickup an extra
    state each, a cpl thousand miles away.

The streamline answer is NH Plus one of following : UT or AZ or Va or Fla . If you have importance of particular States of travel / business , then select the relevant one of the big four. Multiple of the big four are mostly redundant , unless you specifically spend time in , for example, Miami and Seattle both.

Yeah, UT requires specific class. But it is now ubiquitous, and competivly priced. It is easier to find and schedule a UT class than NRA Basic Pistol, or whatever. And the price of UT Permit vs Va or Fla will nearly cover the cost of the class , just on initial Permit. ( $47 vs $100 vs $104 ) ( ASTC $60 w/o photo, Genesis $75 w/ photo . If you print photo on home computer, UT plus class is within $3 of Fla using some sort of training you already have .)

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Just adding a data point here Wallymart does 2x2 passport photos for $7.44. I just did the Utah Class at MSAR with Mo and it was a very painless class. Mo makes sure you are good to go before you leave the class.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To reinforce what has been said, of all the permits mentioned, if you intend to carry in FL, you must get a FL NR permit. FL does not honor NR permits at all.

Neither do CO, MI, SC, or NH. PA only recognizes NH and TX NR permits

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    If you want to head north in the summertime and hike while carrying, go to Vermont. It's beautiful, affordable, and constitutional carry. I won't even travel through New Jersey with an assembled firearm. When we went to Vermont last summer, I took my carry gun apart and put the parts in four separate bags because we had to pass through NJ. I've heard too many bad things about NJ and guns.
    Thanks for all the responses.

I think I'll go for the Utah CCW. But tell me about New Jersey. What kind of things do they do? I thought you could pass through states with guns as long as you were just passing through.

I've never been searched when I've been pulled over. Does New Jersey like to search vehicles? And do they ask if you're carrying guns in your car?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for all the responses.

I think I'll go for the Utah CCW. But tell me about New Jersey. What kind of things do they do? I thought you could pass through states with guns as long as you were just passing through.

I've never been searched when I've been pulled over. Does New Jersey like to search vehicles? And do they ask if you're carrying guns in your car?

FOPA should protect you for interstate travel, but I'm paranoid about NJ. I know a guy that had a pellet pistol in NJ in his car and got arrested for it. I just don't trust the NJ state troopers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NJ prosecuted a guy who moved to NJ but left his guns in his trunk after he arrived. They also prosecuted a woman who mistakenly drive into NJ by mistake who had a PA CCW. It took Gov. Christie to pardon her to get her out of trouble.

People mistakenly believe FOPA protects them. It can be used as an affirmative defense after you are arrested, booked and possibly incarcerated. who needs that?

If stopped by LE, be polite, answer questions asked honestly. Don't play word games with cops. It will not end well.

You do have a right to remain silent and not consent to a search. That is your decision.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Google Revelle vs Port Authority of NY and NJ.

IIRC happened at Kennedy but NJ cops will do the same thing.Guy thought FOPA protected him. nope

Court ruled he took possession of his bag when his flight was cancelled. when he checked in the next day, he was arrested

you decide what to do.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Or get Texas :) Blue is good to go . PA and DE included

Thx. Good looking map! (Source?)

It will partially depend on your priorities of which specific states you frequently vist/ are important to you.

Penna - Need a NH
    Florida - Florida
    Delaware - Utah
    Virginia - ( Specifically for GFSZ redundencyl) - Va
    Las Vegas - Arizona

For all around, whole buncha states, UT, FL, AZ basically tied, Va just barely behind.

UT requires a UT specific class, but it is readily available from several of our IP's and others at reasonable cost. And Utah is inexpensive ( most inexpensive ? ), with cheap renewals .

But if Del and Penna are equally important to you, you will need two Non-resident permits. But both Del and Pa are open carry friendly (except Phila) if you only occasionally vist there.

Lots of great advice in this thread, thanks to all.

Just adding a data point here Wallymart does 2x2 passport photos for $7.44. I just did the Utah Class at MSAR with Mo and it was a very painless class. Mo makes sure you are good to go before you leave the class.

Didn't know, nice tip.

NJ prosecuted a guy who moved to NJ but left his guns in his trunk after he arrived. They also prosecuted a woman who mistakenly drive into NJ by mistake who had a PA CCW. It took Gov. Christie to pardon her to get her out of trouble.

People mistakenly believe FOPA protects them. It can be used as an affirmative defense after you are arrested, booked and possibly incarcerated. who needs that?

If stopped by LE, be polite, answer questions asked honestly. Don't play word games with cops. It will not end well.

You do have a right to remain silent and not consent to a search. That is your decision.

Wowzers! I knew NJ was terrible, but they consider FOPA only an affirmative defense!?! Thanks for reminding me why I try to never go there. :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FOPA is designed as and can only be used as an affirmative defense in any state, not just NJ. The problem is you are much more likely to need the defense in NJ than in most any other state.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

Or the guy who was taking a nap in a rest area. Gun was in a shaving bag. Cop claimed it looked like a handgun case. Yes he was convicted , think the guy was in a Explorer and since the weapon was in the same "compartment as the driver FOPA doesnt cover SMH.

Thx. Good looking map! (Source?)

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not quite correct.

FOPA does provide coverage for vehicles without a trunk. It stipulates that either the gun OR the ammo must be in a locked container other than the glove box or console

see text below

Attachments

• title.jpg
      title.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 152
    • 926a.jpg
      926a.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 159

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Not quite correct.

FOPA does provide coverage for vehicles without a trunk. It stipulates that either the gun OR the ammo must be in a locked container other than the glove box or console

see text below

I agree but its new jerky . Looking for the case (no pun intended)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is NO reason to enter NJ Ever. Period.

You can use I-81 to bypass NJ to get to New England.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom