• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bought an antique Finn'd Russian M91 off of one of our forum C&R hoarders. He may or may not have an unhealthy obsession with the Mosin Nagant which is spreading to my safe :lol:

I think the stock may have been stripped; originally thought it was just well worn but the wear seems too uniform and perfect and the upper handguard is totally untouched. Doesn't seem sanded, just like the finish was removed. I am quite certain that the aforementioned C&R junkie did not do this to the rifle :lol2: I have yet to disassemble it, I think if there is finish under the action that may answer my question.

At this point it is what it is, still a really cool old gun. The question is what to do with it now. Leave it be? Refinish to match the top handguard as best as I can? Oil it and leave it be?

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Whatever happened was most likely done by the Finns, which makes it a significant part of the gun's history. They turned out the best rifles they could out of the best selection of parts available, and as long as fit was right, finish (no pun intended) was secondary. Just my .02, but I'd say check it for operability, do routine maintenance and shoot it for the next 100 years.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Depending on where it spent its life it could be a genuine refinish. For example, so many SCW Mosins were reworked and are found with refinished stocks.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It doesn't seem to be refinished, just stripped. The wood is dull and feels like unfinished lumber would.

There is a heavy resin poured around the stock bolt; might be hardened cosmoline. There are also some very evident cracks in the stock which have been glued or otherwise repaired. They lead from forward of the receiver to the stock bolt itself.

Also took a pic of the stock with the upper handguard. Wood looks similar but the handguard has finish on it.

Attachments

• 20170606_190529.jpg
      20170606_190529.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 257
    • 20170606_190546.jpg
      20170606_190546.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 257
    • 20170606_190516.jpg
      20170606_190516.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 251
    • 20170606_190505.jpg
      20170606_190505.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 260

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    100% full refund if you want brother. I want you happy. I know I told you the same thing in a direct message, but I stand behind what i am letting go.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    im thinking stripped are those palm sander swirls below forearm bolt

Don't see any swirls but its awful smooth so I won't rule out the possibility.

100% full refund if you want brother. I want you happy. I know I told you the same thing in a direct message, but I stand behind what i am letting go.

You're a good man and good for your word. I think I will refinish the stock (can't believe I'm even saying that but at this point it can't be hurt any more) and see what it turns out like. The crack has mostly been stabilized by some kind of dark resin but there are a few spots that still flex some; wood glue and a hypodermic needle and patience should take care of that.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There are two traits I look for when doing a quick exam: are the edges crisp around the finger grooves and is the buttplate sitting proud of the wood? Now on an example with honest long-term wear finger groove edges can round. Perfect example was a Japanese Type 44 a member shared that was heavily worn on one side from being slung on the back of a cav soldier. But in my experience there's nothing in genuine wear that can effect the buttstock near the plate. Always a good indicator or a rework, arsenal or otherwise.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There are two traits I look for when doing a quick exam: are the edges crisp around the finger grooves and is the buttplate sitting proud of the wood? Now on an example with honest long-term wear finger groove edges can round. Perfect example was a Japanese Type 44 a member shared that was heavily worn on one side from being slung on the back of a cav soldier. But in my experience there's nothing in genuine wear that can effect the buttstock near the plate. Always a good indicator or a rework, arsenal or otherwise.

Seems to be tight fitting (the butt plate, that is); will try to get some pics tomorrow

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Whatever happened was most likely done by the Finns, which makes it a significant part of the gun's history.

There is no way to say this without seeing pictures of the rifle. It is just as likely that changes to the stock were done in the U.S, and the OP's description sure makes it sounds like that was a possibility. The Finns didn't typically strip stocks and leave them naked.

Based on the OP's pictures, the stock definitely looks stripped, and that was almost certainly done in the U.S. The hand guard looks to have its original finish.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I think the best thing I can do at this point is to try and stabilize the obviously serious crack in the stock, refinish it to match the upper handguard, and try my best to preserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom