• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    The statute says 90 days. The 90 business days is more MSP made up BS, like the live fire requirement for an HQL.

Yes agreed, but I've decided to bow down and - in good faith - go with the language on the application. "Processing a properly completed application may take up to 90 business days to investigate."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes agreed, but I've decided to bow down and - in good faith - go with the language on the application. "Processing a properly completed application may take up to 90 business days to investigate."

That's why I posted it. The LD web site says the same crap, which is made up MSP BS.

it never ends with these clowns.

Attachments

• msp  clown car.jpg
      msp clown car.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 206

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    If the HPRB says "no", then, if you choose to do so, can appeal to a Circuit Court in a county of your choosing since you are an out of state resident.

Do you know where that is codified in statute? I can't find it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I said the above quote on June 19th. Still nothing. The 90 business-day mark is July 14. MSP is using every single one of those 90 business days in my case. :mad54:

According to the Public Safety Article, one has two remedies if s/he is denied (or "disapproved").

Ask MSP for an informal review within 10 days.
    §5–311.
    (a) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Secretary to conduct an informal review by filing a written request within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary’s initial action.

This would be the Secretary's first action (i.e. your first denial)

Ask for an HPRB review within 10 days.
    §5–312.
    (a) (1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary’s final action.

This would be the the written denial of your informal review.

Question:
    In both cases there is a 10-day window. Does asking for only one of those two options in that 10-day window preclude the other? The statute seems ambiguous to me. It seems like you'd have to ask for both in that 10-day window to preserve your administrative remedies to the fullest extent possible (e.g. initial denial, informal review, then HPRB).

Anyone have any experience on this?

See the answers above.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I believe appeals of state boards to the Circuit Court are codified in the MG Government article of law.

A simple search of the Handgun Permit Review Board in Maryland Judicial Records Search reveals a number of Appeals to the various County Circuit Courts.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Got my denial letter today, four days before the 90 business-day deadline the MSP has set for themselves.

The "denial" (not "disapproval") letter specifies that you can request an informal review AND an HPRB hearing. I'm going to do both.

It took 4 months and 2 days for MSP to get back to me since receiving my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got my denial letter today, four days before the 90 business-day deadline the MSP has set for themselves.

The "denial" (not "disapproval") letter specifies that you can request an informal review AND an HPRB hearing. I'm going to do both.

It took 4 months and 2 days for MSP to get back to me since receiving my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks balls, but welcome to the insanity.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    A simple search of the Handgun Permit Review Board in Maryland Judicial Records Search reveals a number of Appeals to the various County Circuit Courts.

Can you provide a link to this search database? Still having a hard time finding it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

State Government Chapter of the MD Annotated Code 10-222:

§ 10-222. Judicial review

(a) Review of final decision. --

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a party who is aggrieved by the final decision in a contested case is entitled to judicial review of the decision as provided in this section.

(2) An agency, including an agency that has delegated a contested case to the Office, is entitled to judicial review of a decision as provided in this section if the agency was a party before the agency or the Office.

(b) Review of interlocutory order. -- Where the presiding officer has final decision-making authority, a person in a contested case who is aggrieved by an interlocutory order is entitled to judicial review if:

(1) the party would qualify under this section for judicial review of any related final decision;

(2) the interlocutory order:

(i) determines rights and liabilities; and

(ii) has immediate legal consequences; and

(3) postponement of judicial review would result in irreparable harm.

(c) Jurisdiction and venue. -- Unless otherwise required by statute, a petition for judicial review shall be filed with the circuit court for the county where any party resides or has a principal place of business.

(d) Parties. --

(1) The court may permit any other interested person to intervene in a proceeding under this section.

(2) If the agency has delegated to the Office the authority to issue the final administrative decision pursuant to § 10-205(a)(3) of this subtitle, and there are 2 or more other parties with adverse interests remaining in the case, the agency may decline to participate in the judicial review. An agency that declines to participate shall inform the court in its initial response.

(e) Stay of enforcement. --

(1) The filing of a petition for judicial review does not automatically stay the enforcement of the final decision.

(2) Except as otherwise provided by law, the final decision maker may grant or the reviewing court may order a stay of the enforcement of the final decision on terms that the final decision maker or court considers proper.

(f) Additional evidence before agency. --

(1) Judicial review of disputed issues of fact shall be confined to the record for judicial review supplemented by additional evidence taken pursuant to this section.

(2) The court may order the presiding officer to take additional evidence on terms that the court considers proper if:

(i) before the hearing date in court, a party applies for leave to offer additional evidence; and

(ii) the court is satisfied that:

1. the evidence is material; and

2. there were good reasons for the failure to offer the evidence in the proceeding before the presiding officer.

(3) On the basis of the additional evidence, the final decision maker may modify the findings and decision.

(4) The final decision maker shall file with the reviewing court, as part of the record:

(i) the additional evidence; and

(ii) any modifications of the findings or decision.

(g) Proceeding. --

(1) The court shall conduct a proceeding under this section without a jury.

(2) A party may offer testimony on alleged irregularities in procedure before the presiding officer that do not appear on the record.

(3) On request, the court shall:

(i) hear oral argument; and

(ii) receive written briefs.

(h) Decision. -- In a proceeding under this section, the court may:

(1) remand the case for further proceedings;

(2) affirm the final decision; or

(3) reverse or modify the decision if any substantial right of the petitioner may have been prejudiced because a finding, conclusion, or decision:

(i) is unconstitutional;

(ii) exceeds the statutory authority or jurisdiction of the final decision maker;

(iii) results from an unlawful procedure;

(iv) is affected by any other error of law;

(v) is unsupported by competent, material, and substantial evidence in light of the entire record as submitted;

(vi) in a case involving termination of employment or employee discipline, fails to reasonably state the basis for the termination or the nature and extent of the penalty or sanction imposed by the agency; or

(vii) is arbitrary or capricious.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 41, § 255; 1984, ch. 284, § 1; 1993, ch. 59, § 1; 1994, ch. 536, § 1; 2005, ch. 25, §§ 12, 13; 2016, ch. 704.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom