• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    What do the experts think of CZ's over under shotguns? They seem better-made then the usual Turkish fare. Mostly will be used for trap & skeet, and some occasional hunting.

I like Silver Pigeons, but at less than half the price, the CZ Southpaw Sterling I very tempting.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I doubt if you will find an expert on this forum, but my opinion is you'll be delighted to own that shotgun.

But remember, this advice is worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Good luck!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My brother-in-law has a CZ Redhead that he shoots (sparingly) with, and I've heard good things about the Ringneck SxS (no longer in production). Only negative press I've ever heard was on the trap range. A guy claims he had some CZ over-under at some point that was brand new and that it literally came apart on him after just 200 rounds. Sounds fishy to me.

I know CZ was suggested to me by the folks at Gunshack for a reasonably priced and very good O/U. I don't think you'll get Beretta or Browning quality from it necessarily, but definitely better than Stoeger or Savage.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Franchi makes some nice o/u's now. Stogers are better. Tristar at Wal-Mart is $347.
    You'd probably not find a used B gun under a thousand.
    CZ will be better than Stoeger or Tristar.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I've had a 12ga CZ Redhead for several years without a problem. I prefer semi auto shotguns so it doesn't get shot as much these days. It only has about 300 rounds through it but it still locks up tight. I can't decide if I want to sell it or spend some money on a better recoil pad.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Key thing is fit, if they don't fit you no matter the quality you won't hit as well with it.

CZ had the Turks make good stuff for them. It really is about price point though, you don't get a $1k gun for $500. Internals, fit/finish, etc all will be skimped on as the price gets lower.

I like the CZ line and think I would give it a try if I were in the market. A used Browning Citori
    or Beretta may be a better long term bet though.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Speaking about Clay guns: You really have to decide what your use will be.There is a big difference between a gun that is designed to shoot 35,000 rounds a year and one that was designed for the casual shooter who shoots 2,500 rounds a year. A CZ is fine for the later but not for the former. And, as said many times before, gun fit gun fit gun fit.
    A CZ may well be the best of the Turkish guns. I have heard of some problems as the quality control is not up to the higher end Italian standards (Although CZ warranty service appears to be good), whereas those who have shot a Stoeger a lot are never happy.
    And before those that say "hey my Stoeger is just great", show me one with 50,000 rounds through it. I have a Guerini with over 100,000 rounds through it that still locks up tight and has not had any issues. YMMV.

Wanna know about Clay shotguns? Go to shotgunworld.com and search for your brand.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    ^^^agreed. My condor is good at being there. It will not win anything. It's future is a door stop. My earlier post was that Stoegers are better than before, but below Franchi and CZ. If you like shotgun sports, then save up for B gun. I'm going Browning.

Daveyboysmith

There's a search box?!?!
    Aug 10, 2011
    Ellicott city
    I was in the same spot as far as not wanting to spend silver pigeon money. I ended up going with the Franchi Instinct, which has served me very well through about 4000 rounds in about a year and a half. A guy i shoot with just got a CZ that he's loved through the first 500 rounds or so. I'd recommend trying to hold both and see what feels good.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a 20 ga Canvasback that I like a lot. I haven't shot it that much but the fit is good and machining is quality. The stock fits the metal well, the only thing I don't really care for is the type of finish they used on it. It's started to peel in one place.

Does it ring like my Browning Broadway when it locks up...No, but it's still a pretty nice shotgun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Speaking about Clay guns: You really have to decide what your use will be.There is a big difference between a gun that is designed to shoot 35,000 rounds a year and one that was designed for the casual shooter who shoots 2,500 rounds a year. A CZ is fine for the later but not for the former. And, as said many times before, gun fit gun fit gun fit.
    A CZ may well be the best of the Turkish guns. I have heard of some problems as the quality control is not up to the higher end Italian standards (Although CZ warranty service appears to be good), whereas those who have shot a Stoeger a lot are never happy.
    And before those that say "hey my Stoeger is just great", show me one with 50,000 rounds through it. I have a Guerini with over 100,000 rounds through it that still locks up tight and has not had any issues. YMMV.

Wanna know about Clay shotguns? Go to shotgunworld.com and search for your brand.

This ^^^^^

I shot almost 8000 rounds the first year I shot clays.

My Browning has been shot enough, the gold plating is worn off the trigger, but still locks up tight and shoots well.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Look for a used Beretta or Browning. You can often find them in like-new condition for less than half the price of new. Of course, if you're left-handed like me, then that's a problem for O/U. You'll need a LH stock or the recoil will destroy your shoulder and cheek.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Look for a used Beretta or Browning. You can often find them in like-new condition for less than half the price of new. Of course, if you're left-handed like me, then that's a problem for O/U. You'll need a LH stock or the recoil will destroy your shoulder and cheek.

Psst, post 15,000. :thumbsup:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

Time for a karma...?

Grendelicious

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks for the link. I am trying to do some homework before getting my wife a trap gun she will enjoy. I had heard CZ makes some smaller models targeted at women, but have never heard anything about their quality.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Yup, I'm a lefty; most O/U guns will never fit right. The CZ Southpaw Sterling has the proper cast (on) for lefties.

The Silver Pigeon is available for lefties, too (naturally at more than twice the price.)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks, everyone, for your input.

If shooting sports has taught me anything, it's buy once, cry once. As much as I like the CZ price and the features seem attractive, I think I'll have to hold off for a while and save up a little more (OK, a lot more.)

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks for the link. I am trying to do some homework before getting my wife a trap gun she will enjoy. I had heard CZ makes some smaller models targeted at women, but have never heard anything about their quality.

Smaller is not necessarily better. The less weight, the more perceived recoil. It's the pitch and drop at comb that needs to be different for women. The CG Syren is one of the only shotguns designed from the ground up for women. https://syrenusa.com
    Different price point that the CZs.

My GF got one, and it made a huge difference in recoil and targets hit versus my old Beretta she was using. She also got 28" barrels due to arm strength.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Thanks, everyone, for your input.

If shooting sports has taught me anything, it's buy once, cry once. As much as I like the CZ price and the features seem attractive, I think I'll have to hold off for a while and save up a little more (OK, a lot more.)

:thumbsup:

I went from a Remington to a Franchi, and then finally settled on a Beretta.

Had I just waited and bought what I wanted to begin with, I would have avoided a lot of headache.

Buy once, cry once! My motto also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom