• 20170806_215004.jpg
      20170806_215004.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 300

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I will put in for it again I think...statring to get these on the regular
    I'm looking at that really close, is that shot thru a screen door or window? Looks like a faint grid in the pic. That should make your hunt a whole lot more comfortable, from the couch....

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm looking at that really close, is that shot thru a screen door or window? Looks like a faint grid in the pic. That should make your hunt a whole lot more comfortable, from the couch....

Nope just a screen shot from my phone on the computer screen. Photobucket went to chit for me

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How long does it usually take for the conformation email?
    I'm going to drive them to my Hooligan buddy CombatAK. :D
    But I might not have to leave my back porch if the wind is blowing in the right direction.;)

Emails in one day. There is also an option for snail mail. Which did you choose?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    BTW, I don't see anywhere on the "updated license" showing Black bear lottery confirmation so guess I didn't get mine yet either.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    BTW, I don't see anywhere on the "updated license" showing Black bear lottery confirmation so guess I didn't get mine yet either.
    In the email that arrived the day after my purchase, the second bullet stated "By purchasing the Black Bear Lottery Entry, you will be entered in this year's black bear lottery and will be notified if selected. Results will also be posted on the DNR website."

Nothing was printed regarding the lottery in the attached copy of my hunting license re black bears. (Nor would I expect it)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok. I was expecting more, but this is Merryland after all. Thanks fidelity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ok. I was expecting more, but this is Merryland after all. Thanks fidelity.

And you know, if I get really really lucky and get a tag and you don't get one, I'm contacting you of course to go out (and am not asking the reverse - as I always have plenty of work to get done). So consider your odds doubled. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And you know, if I get really really lucky and get a tag and you don't get one, I'm contacting you of course to go out (and am not asking the reverse - as I always have plenty of work to get done). So consider your odds doubled.
    Thanks my friend. I have other ways of getting even.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    So if they are giving out more permits are they also upping the the amount of bears that can be taken this year?

There's no longer a set amount of bears to be taken. The season is 4 days long and they set the number of permits to get the desired number of bears.

Much better than the old system of having to call each evening to see if you could hunt the next day. I think it will result in fewer small bears killed as well

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    There's no longer a set amount of bears to be taken. The season is 4 days long and they set the number of permits to get the desired number of bears.

Much better than the old system of having to call each evening to see if you could hunt the next day. I think it will result in fewer small bears killed as well
    Regarding the "calling in": If you get picked be careful to plan what happens if you do get one. Unless they changed from 2 years ago, you have to physically check in a harvest by 8 pm that night, or call by then to report it and check it in the next am. The problem is you can hunt til nearly 7 pm, and most bears are active at dusk/dark. I was in Savage River SF, 20 min from (limited) cell service, and 45+ min away from the Mt Nebo check station. I was 1.5 miles back up in a mountain, with not so great footing. 20-25 min from truck at best. All told from where I was, from tree stand to phone contact w/DNR might be 45 min assuming I bugged out immediately after the shot & didn't hang around a second longer. I'd barely make the legal call-in time.

On night one at literally 2 min of legal time left I had an opportunity for a very easy shot on what was probably a 450-500 on boar and (somehow) decided intelligently that since I was by myself there'd be no way in heck I could've recovered it. On the way back to hotel I suddenly realized that I would never have been able to comply with the reporting rules anyway. On the follow-up survey I complained about that, I didn't get picked last year so I'm not sure if they addressed that or not. The way I read those rules, I wouldn't have been legal to leave it that night, then call it in the next am, then go retrieve it. It said report the harvest by 8pm or check it in by 8pm. Couldn't lie and say you got it the next morning, since when you take it to Mt Nebo it'd be frozen & stretched out. That little rule glitch was in the back of mind the next 3 nights. Luckily, or maybe unluckily, I didn't have to deal with that the rest of the week. I woulda stayed all night into the next day to get a big one out if I was allowed, but that rule changed the game, made me think twice.

Bottom line, if the rule hasn't changed, plan for your successes and failures more than you would for just a regular ol' whitetail hunt.

Best of luck.

01m6ta

Jul 12, 2012
    I'm in...got 4 preference points this year so hopefully it'll be my time. My brother drew last year and had 2 club members drew the year before that. My buddy killed one that year. So i'm looking forward to it.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    It took 3 years but I was selected last year and bagged a 2.5 year old. Every consecutive year you get more chances. For example, my buddy is in year 4 and gets 6 entries to the lottery. Eventually it will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom