• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Did my first big batch of 9mm. 115 gr Everglades plated round nose, 5.5 gr CFE pistol, CCI 500 primers, mixed brass. COL 1.100. RCBS 3-die set, taper crimp.

Out of 500 shot, all but two ran beautifully. Two jammed entering the chamber, created a bulge just below the bullet. Slide was about 3/8" short of closing.

Hard jam, I finally figured out to pry back the extractor so I could lock the slide back then pry out the bullet.

Seems like the case mouth might have caught going in. Happened once on my Glock 17 and once on a Beretta 92F. I'd send a pic, but can't seem to find the bullets.

Advice on what I did wrong? Thanks as always.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Get yourself a 9mm case gauge. If each of your loaded rounds fits properly in a case gauge, it should chamber. I've been dropping each into the case gauge as I put them into the storage case. It doesn't take that much effort, and gives you a chance to eyeball the primer seating as well. I use Dillon case gauges for 9mm and 45acp.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Best guess would be that the jam didn't create the bulge. Rather, a bulge created the jam. Typically happens with a tight case mouth during seating, if the bullet is started on a bit of an angle.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks all for the insight

Best guess would be that the jam didn't create the bulge. Rather, a bulge created the jam. Typically happens with a tight case mouth during seating, if the bullet is started on a bit of an angle.

Yeah, I remember having a few that didn't go in quite straight. Thanks.

EGW makes an outstanding case gauge, either in 7 hole or 50 hole configuration. Use that one. http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/ammo-chamber-checker-9-mm-7-hole/ or http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/ammo-chamber-checker-9-mm-50-hole/ . The 7 hole one costs the same or less than a lot of companies' single round one, so at very least you speed up your checking by that much.

I'm so glad you posted this, I was about ready to buy a single holer off Amazon

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You can use the removed barrel from the pistol as an interim chamber gauge although it would not be minimum dimension as chamber gauges are. The rounds should drop in completely and drop out freely. Checking a round which slides in then has to be coaxed the last bit of movement is a candidate for the practice bag or a bump in the sizer or Lee factory die. A Lee FCD will eliminate much of the oversized issues.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Agreed... there can be different causes, check every round in a chamber or chamber gauge and you should have no issues. :thumbsup:

I also use a Lee FCD on most of my rounds, pistol and many rifle cartridges.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015

Attachments

• 20170802_170820.jpg
      20170802_170820.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 215
    • 20170802_170759.jpg
      20170802_170759.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 211

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If you google 9mm case gauge 100, there are several options for 100 count case gauges. I have the Hundo gauge. I really like the 100 because it flips over and loads the rounds into 100 count plastic boxes. It's also the same price as the 50 round gauge listed above.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I once had a 9mm reload jam so hard in a Glock 17 that I had to take the gun home from the range with a live round stuck partway in the chamber... :shocked4: Short of a "cookoff" (the gun wasn't hot enough for that) there was no chance of it discharging because the slide was about 1/8th of an inch out of full battery, (I could see the base of the round thru the gap between the slide and barrel) and the striker on a Glock won't release under those conditions, but it made me really nervous nonetheless. Once home I had to lock the gun in a padded vice and use a block of wood and a hammer to give the front of the slide several sharp blows before that jammed round came out of the chamber. Yeah, she was really stuck in there... :mad54:

Never again.... Now every round I load goes in a case gage as the last step in the loading process. I've had very few that don't drop right in, but any that won't get the bullet pulled and the case goes in the trash. I load 4 auto pistol calibers (9mm, .40, .45, & 10mm) and .223 rifle, and every loaded round goes in a case gage before I'll use it. Lyman, Dillon, and Redding all make excellent case gages, and I'm sure there are others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom