• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    For various reasons I missed out on the modern German made MP44 that was imported some years ago by PTR and sold as the PTR44. I had wanted one of these since I was a kid but prices had gotten (and still are) so high on originals that I just could not justify spending the amount of money required to obtain an original. ell, after several years of never ending delays, 200 were imported about seven years ago. The initial price was $4300 but that quickly changed to $5000 once PTR saw just how much demand there was for these rifles. I wanted one in the worst way and was prepared to spend the dough but my research on various German sites revealed that there were some serious problems with various parts of these new made rifles. I decided to wait and see what would happen before buying one figuring that, if there were problems with the initial batch of US imported ones, they would get worked out in subsequent batches. Welllllllllthat turned out to be a dumb decision.
    Out of the initial 200, only 150 were actually offered for sale due to quality control issues. They sold out FAST anyways. The issues were so severe that PTR decided not to import anymore. As for the ones that did get sold, fatal flaws started showing up quickly including receiver deformation, broken bolt carriers/bolts and other issues. I was glad I didn't buy one.....for a while. Well, my want for one didn't go away and the prices on originals kept climbing. Even the now made junkers sold from time to time at astronomical prices.
    One day, I decided that I was just going to have to give in. I still couldn't stomach buying an original for half of what I owe on my current house so that left the PTR44. I started looking a little....then more and more......and more. Long story short, I ended up finding one that the owner had bough new, put 50 rounds down the pipe and then stuck it in the safe for fear that it was going to self destruct like so many others have.
    I drove to his town with cash in hand. I didn't want to have it shipped.....I was too close to have something go wrong now. Because he was in a different state, it had to go through an FFL and there was a slightly tense moment when they saw my Maryland driver's license but we got it worked out. Meeting the original owner face to face turned out to be a bonus. We hit it off immediately and he even took me out to lunch at a local brewery using a bit of the money I had just given him......now that's Class!
    It's the end of a long journey but now another is about to begin. The problems can be repaired and I know exactly who to send it to. That will be the beginning of another journey. Eventually, I may, just MAY get to actually shoot it! What a concept!!!
    So, I am going to document the journey. It started today. I'll take pictures of what I am starting with and I'll update step by step from buying replacement parts, sending it off to the excellent gentleman who is going to rework it into a useable rifle and then finish with the first 1000 rounds much as I am currently doing with the SMG FG42. That reminds me, I need to update that. I have some news to pass on to everybody. Anywho, I'm sure I'm going to have ups and downs along the way and I'm no doubt gonna' get poor doing it but I WILL end up with a fine rifle at the end of the path; I'm sure of it. Now I just gotta' remember to keep telling myself that. Here are the first few pictures. MANY more will come as time goes on. Stay tuned if you want to be bored and get a laugh at how stupid I am!

Day 1:

With the SMG FG42:

See you soon!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome! Maybe before I die technology will get to the point where I could print out a decent copy of a firearm like a STG-44 at home. I can dream...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Awesome, I have always wanted the godfather of modern rifles.

there was a slightly tense moment when they saw my Maryland driver's license

^ Oh jeez. Congrats on working through THAT little hiccup.

Enjoy the journey. This one will likely be worth any gunsmithing along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom