• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There used to be a great article written on rrdvegas.com.

I saw that article and saved it as an htm page. I don't know how to post it here. If anyone knows send me a message.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have seen people put a rubber lining in their sonic cleaners as to not damage the outside finish. Works rather nice!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Outrider, if you think of it at the pig roast remind about this subject as I have an interesting story. Probably best if Chad is not around lol, kidding.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider, if you think of it at the pig roast remind about this subject as I have an interesting story. Probably best if Chad is not around lol, kidding.
    I will. Thanks T.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aps410

Dec 10, 2015
    Howard County
    There used to be a great article written on rrdvegas.com. Guy shot a lot of .22 suppressed; like a thousand rounds at a time. He did a lot of experimentation. The site is no longer available for some reason.

End result is he found tumbling the stainless baffles and even threaded pieces in SS media with dishwasher detergent, water and lemishine for a couple hours made them like new. I recall that some ceracoted stuff may have gotten dinged up. But the stainless media did not hurt the baffled or even threaded parts.

He would the. Heat them in the oven, drop them in 100% silicon oil or dot 5 brake fluid and let them cool for a couple hours. Then let them sit to drip/dry on a cookie sheet with paper Towles and reassemble. His assessment was that the silicone oil made future cleaning easier.

His write up was quite impressive with many pictures and I wish it was still available.

This is all from memory, but I read it not too long ago. I tried it and found it effective. I have not found walnut media to be very effective as the build up is too thick.

Found a copy in an website archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20161104063835/http://www.rrdvegas.com:80/silencer-cleaning.html

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thank you for tracking this down. I am new to the world of suppressor ownership (have two in NFA jail right now), so the more info I have, the better. Hopefully some variation of this maintenance plan will help me keep my cans clean.

Unfortunately I don't have a tumbler or an ultrasonic bath, but I will probably not let my .22 can get very dirty before I clean it until I have some sort of permanent solution figured out. I'm also not real interested in making "the dip."

I am beginning to wonder if an ultrasonic toothbrush could help clean gun/suppessor parts. I'm sure someone has tried it already, so I'll search around the internet here shortly to see if my idea is as dumb as I suspect it is.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county

Never mind. Well done, Internet Jedi.

His method works well. Tumblers can be purchased fairly inexpensively and the time savings, plus how effective they are make it a worthy investment. Over time the .22 builds up lead deposits. You may be able to scrape carbon and fouling off, but a day will come when it starts to clog up. That will be when the tumbler will work.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Jedi beat me to it. In 2SAM22 told me how to do it, so I might as well share that trick.
    Open up the webpage
    Click Print
    Change Printer to Microsoft Print to PDF
    It will prompt you for a directory to save it in.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    PDF Attached

Attachments

• Silencer Cleaning - Rimfire Research & Development.pdf
      2.8 MB · Views: 1,962

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics