• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's
    I am saving up for a new rifle and was wondering if anyone had experience or an opinion on these two rifles. I'm leaning towards the Bren, your thoughts?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You cant beat a Bren..........its also a combat built and designed gun of CZ legacy. If I was going to drop that much coin that would be my choice (at least in the MD environment). If I rebound from other purchases I might still pop for one.

If I escape Marylandstan its back to AKs and non bastardized Tavors.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    Last year I ordered an ARAK Upper, waited 14 weeks for it to arrive only to find that it wobbled on every lower I have. Faxon offered to fix it, but the fit was so poor that I lost faith in their quality control. IK think the bren is next on my list.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    arak

Last year I ordered an ARAK Upper, waited 14 weeks for it to arrive only to find that it wobbled on every lower I have. Faxon offered to fix it, but the fit was so poor that I lost faith in their quality control. IK think the bren is next on my list.

Mine wobbled too and the upper was so heavy that I just didn't like it. Liked the idea of having a barrel in 7.62 X 39 but that never come out while I had mine. This goes into the catagory of firearms I didn't regret selling.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'll caveat this and say that he might want to wait for the 806 / "Bren 2".
    Is that coming to the civilian market anytime soon? Everyone I know who owns or has spent significant time shooting a Bren has loved it, but I want the improvements the 806 brings to the table.

I have wanted to buy an ARAK since they came out, but the price and mixed reviews keep staying my hand. And as neat as caliber conversion capability seems, I'd wager that many end up settling on one and never messing with it. Not to mention the fact that a tricked out ARAK upper with conversion kits will cost as much or more than a new rifle.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    My understanding is that the Bren 806 is to be released to the civilian market during the Spring of 2018. I will be waiting for one as well.

A Wolf A1 upper on a lower of your choice, (for half of the price) would hold you over nicely in the meantime. Then there are always Arsenal AK-74's...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My understanding is that the Bren 806 is to be released to the civilian market during the Spring of 2018. I will be waiting for one as well.

A Wolf A1 upper on a lower of your choice, (for half of the price) would hold you over nicely in the meantime. Then there are always Arsenal AK-74's...

Skeptical on the A1, there are lots of proprietary piston guns out there. Plus it really doesn't buy anything over a DI AR. What marginal gain in reliability you might get you loose in maintenance over time. That said it isn't hugely expensive and looks sharp so I don't think you can really go wrong. Just would lean more towards a Bren or similar if you want a gun that will hold value.

Sort of like Galil's they were expensive guns in their day (really they were relative to annual incomes) few bought them and they were always a pinnicle military design. There are several thousand Mak90s etc to every Galil sold. I doubt the Bren will ever be a Galil but there will be several thousand ARs and derivatives in the market to every Bren.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was looking at the CZ Bren as I'm a huge fan of CZ, but the SCAR16 won out. I don't think you can go wrong with the Bren though.

Good luck!

To through a wild card in there if you like the CZs, you could go with a Czechpoint VZ58 available in 7.62*39 and 5.56 each about $500 or more less than the Bren. Very solid sexy guns with coldwar style and insanely lightweight. Only downside is the mag supply as they don't interchange with AK (5.56 uses AR mags with adapter).

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Waiting on the 805 Bren 300Blk Pistol...to SBR eventually...CZ said they are working out the bugs due the large variety of ammo and want not to have issues once released. ( I emailed them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom