• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I've not killed a turkey yet in MD and I'm trying to figure out the terrain. In this area of Southern MD there are lots of spurs and draws where it will be 100ft of elevation at the top and 10ft of elevation down at the creek bottom. (I've also had trouble finding sign in all the leaf litter)

So, if you're finding a place to sit, would you want to sit:
    A) On the high ground
    B) On the edge of the spur where you can see down into the draw
    C) Down in the draw

Take a look at the attached sketch to see what I mean. Advice appreciated please and thank you
    9c66a9b7fd7d9bfa0f685189a4718d6f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would sit on the up hill edge of a creek draw. Turkey(toms), around here, don't like to go down hill. They prefer to call hens up hill to them and will walk the top edges of palisades and gobble. Any time you can get above or level with them, you will be at an advantage. The only time this will differ is when there is a cold front(high winds) blowing. Then they will hunker down low into the draws. That's where you will find them.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Survey says B. Tough spot to hunt it seems I’ve found it tough to pull turkey uphill but they can be coaxed to come down . Where I am at which is North of southern Md , Washington county the birds seem to roost high up on hills then come off roost down to valley / fields . Big valleys and fields not tight draws . Meander throughout day back to top taking an angle never really seen them go straight up. I’d find a happy medium where you can see . But ya have to get kinda high to see down . That shooting uphill thing is not for me.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Thanks y'all.
    I'd sit where the turkeys are...
    Well, while I haven't totally locked em down, I'm pretty sure they roost down over the wet stuff. But it's too boggy down there to hunt or for them to run around, so they've got to come up. It's just a question of if they're gonna come all the way up to the top or hang out in those draws

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks y'all. Well, while I haven't totally locked em down, I'm pretty sure they roost down over the wet stuff. But it's too boggy down there to hunt or for them to run around, so they've got to come up. It's just a question of if they're gonna come all the way up to the top or hang out in those draws

Figure out where the hens are nesting sitting, get in between where the nesting feeding is taking place. Usually leaf litter is less at the top of the hill than at the middle or bottom after winter, that's where the food is when your in the woods.
    If your in a place where theirs a bottom and you can get to where you know where they like to strut/follow the hens into a field, observe where they access the area and sit back in the clear a little higher up so you can see them moving through the brush on the way to the field.
    Keep your back to the field and place some decoys off to your left about 30 yards.
    Strike or call once they fly down just to let them know where your at. Get the hens to come in, not the gobblers.
    Save the aggressive calling tactics for later on in the morning, once the hens have gone to sit, the toms will be more receptive and easier to deceive when they're worked up from no action.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Hunted birds in AAcounty . Shot most on field butttttt man sometimes they would just stay down in that swamp / marshy nasty mess . Many a bird out witted me . They would just walk circles down there around me , never get them to come into shooting lane . Later in day instead of sitting tight I’d get up and start moving and damn if they wouldn’t be coming in from where I couldn’t see. Old bird take along time to come in . Sound like just need to do some more sitting and scouting . Ya know I’ve had them come in on a string running start beating up decoy other times they do what the heck they want . First week is the best after that gets tough. Sure do miss private property.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks y'all. Well, while I haven't totally locked em down, I'm pretty sure they roost down over the wet stuff. But it's too boggy down there to hunt or for them to run around, so they've got to come up. It's just a question of if they're gonna come all the way up to the top or hang out in those draws

From my experience turkeys will try to approach a decoy with the sun at their back and uphill.

I also find that not using a decoy confuses them since they can't figure out where the call is coming from. This causes them to make mistakes. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom