• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If people are worried about Biden banning ARs (more complicated than it sounds), they might (in the context of the advice to buy lowers and kit them out later) be more concerned about him interfering with interstate Evil Gun PARTS commerce, via common carrier. All depends how frisky he’s feeling.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It’s so hard to find Maryland legal uppers. I feel like 75% of uppers out there if not more are government profile , which is not legal here.

Most of psa, bcm, aero precision, all geissele , radian- gov profile.

It’s frustrating to say the least

BRN-180 upper from Brownells. A little pricey, but MD Legal. I don’t believe there is a single part that will swap with an AR-15.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    OP sounds as if his need is now but lots of posters suggesting he go the buy the lowers and build later route. Lowers in the house don’t translate to an ability to defend “right now.” I could have misread his intention/requirement.

Having a reliable rifle or carbine length AR sooner than later seems like a bottom line requirement.

Good luck OP

Lots of solid advice herein.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    If people are worried about Biden banning ARs (more complicated than it sounds), they might (in the context of the advice to buy lowers and kit them out later) be more concerned about him interfering with interstate Evil Gun PARTS commerce, via common carrier. All depends how frisky he’s feeling.

Just look at the ban on importing "machine gun" barrels.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    Cheapest I trust is Aero Precision. I have a complete 10.5 Aero Upper on a Aero lower with BCM bcg, acog, and Surefire m600 as my bump in the night AR.

Minus the optic/light, it’s a sub 600 dollar setup.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I bought a Windham really cheap a couple years ago. One big reason I chose it was the lifetime warranty, so if I hand it down, my kids wouldn't have to mess with it, unless they had to, or wanted to. One thing I would consider, if you are worried about a big action from Biden is, which companies would survive? You may need parts, support, etc. I would stay with S&W, if they have a Hbar, maybe Ruger. I can do basic stuff on my ARs, but again, I never know how my kids will be, mechanically speaking.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I bought a Windham really cheap a couple years ago. One big reason I chose it was the lifetime warranty, so if I hand it down, my kids wouldn't have to mess with it, unless they had to, or wanted to. One thing I would consider, if you are worried about a big action from Biden is, which companies would survive? You may need parts, support, etc. I would stay with S&W, if they have a Hbar, maybe Ruger. I can do basic stuff on my ARs, but again, I never know how my kids will be, mechanically speaking.

The parts on an AR15 are so standardized that this really isn’t an issue. A lifetime warranty has its merits but I wouldn’t make a buying decision based on which companies may survive the long haul. Companies give out these lifetime warranties like hot cakes because they are rarely needed. In most cases that I’ve heard of an AR15 bring sent back it was due to a relatively minor and easily serviceable repair. Any major issues would likely present themselves pretty quickly.

Plus I’d take a Windham over an S&W AR15 all day long. Neither an S&W or Ruger would make my list of “cheapest I would trust”. The use of MIM trigger components in the S&W, for example.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    They were available first of the year. My friend bought one. Thats how I found them but unfortunately it lools like many others did too. Sold out! Check the link, looks like the .556 is still available. https://atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/radical-firearms

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-210435_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20210221-210435_Messages.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 332

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't wade through the whole thread, but I have a few thoughts based on my own observations.

A lot of guys really dive down the rabbit hole on ARs - they throw literally thousands of dollars at them.

Before I ever owned an AR15 I was issued an M16A1 - serial No. 4786107 - manufactured in like 1972, but I didn't put my hands on it until 1989. It was your typical Colt, but by the time I got it, it was USED.

Recently I was issued a brand new M4 rifle in my National Guard unit. Again, it was a Colt. It has some nice parts on it, like the Knights Armament handguard and rail system, but the rifle itself? It's pretty lackluster. Some of the ones my unit got were so tight that the safe/selector switch literally had to be pried around to get them moving enough to be functional.

I have two ARs. Both are "builds" to a degree. One is built on a Seekins Precision lower with a DelTon mid length HBAR rifle kit, and one was built on an 80 lower I milled with an 18" PSA stainless heavy barrel with a lightweight aluminum MLoc handguard. Mainly because I thought it looked cool. That one also has a Nickel Boron bolt carrier group that's slick as a whistle.

The Delton initially wasn't perfect - the BCG was so rough, it would hang while trying to charge it if there was a magazine in it putting pressure on it. I fixed that by dehorning the BCG and smoothing out the rough bottom with some fine emery cloth. Some of you might be gasping at this, but the BCG is carpenter steel - it's so damned hard that you have to really work to take much metal off at all, and I had it out a few weeks ago to shoot it, and it functioned safely and flawlessly.

Comparing everything, I've not been impressed with any issue weapon I've had in my military time, and I was slightly disappointed that the brand new M4 wasn't a bit more slick. The trigger is absolute crap. It's heavy, gritty, and unpredictable. I'm sure it will break in over time, but that will be long after I've retired and moved on to greener pastures.

I put new cartridge style triggers in both of my ARs - one is a CMC that I really like, and the other is a Lantac, which I really want to like, but don't - I was on fence between that and another CMC, and I wish I'd have gotten the CMC.

To bring everything back around, I think there's plenty of great value to be had in budget level AR rifles. The platform isn't rocket science, and it's SO easy to upgrade virtually everything that you can take perfectly functional rifle and really get it slick. IMO the triggers - even the Lantac - are a tremendous improvement over stock and I didn't pay more than $130 for either of those.

DPMS, DelTon, PSA - take your pick. All seem to be decent enough to get the job done. Your best bet IMO is to do a build. 80 Lowers are still available, as are lower parts kits - maybe not so plentiful as before, but they are around. You won't find anything "cheap" these days. I bought my DelTon kit for an insanely low price.

Good luck.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    They were available first of the year. My friend bought one. Thats how I found them but unfortunately it lools like many others did too. Sold out! Check the link, looks like the .556 is still available. https://atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/radical-firearms

Radical rifles have had so many reported issues that I wouldn't trust one even as hobby grade. Perhaps things have changed but the number of people that have been burned by them gives me no confidence, especially for that price.

I know a lot of folks don't have the tools or knowhow to build, but at even today's prices $700-$800 can get you a basic Aero Precision/ Ballistic Advantage build (BA makes a 16 inch HBAR barrel).

I agree with the above poster that AR's are pretty simple and people do go down rabbit holes. You hit pretty strong diminishing returns after roughly $1000 in parts (for a general purpose AR, that is), and a very respectable and SHTF dependable rifle can be had for less. But brands like Ruger, S&W, Radical, etc that use parts that fall well below mil spec and use relatively untrained laborers for assembly... you can do a lot better by spending a small bit more or building yourself.

And don't get me wrong, I am not an AR snob. I recommend PSA stuff all of the time and have used many, many of their parts kits and stripped lowers with zero issues. I have an FN CHF barreled upper that I got on a steal from them that shoots lights out, although I did disassemble and reassemble it to ensure it was done properly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How about two brands I won't trust based on ones I've repaired for people on the range; S&W M&P and Ruger 556.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Don’t go PSA unless you want to send it to Chad and have it fixed. I made that mistake. My PSA 10.5 upper was so over-gassed I nicknamed it Reinhard Heydrich. Luckily he fixed it and it works great now. I’ll buy parts from them but nothing they put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Don’t go PSA unless you want to send it to Chad and have it fixed. I made that mistake. My PSA 10.5 upper was so over-gassed I nicknamed it Reinhard Heydrich. Luckily he fixed it and it works great now. I’ll buy parts from them but nothing they put together.

That is sooo wrong. I'm ashamed to say I laughed. But you're not wrong... PSA upper builds have been inconsistent. I've had pretty good luck myself though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Cheapest I trust is Aero Precision. I have a complete 10.5 Aero Upper on a Aero lower with BCM bcg, acog, and Surefire m600 as my bump in the night AR.

Minus the optic/light, it’s a sub 600 dollar setup.

This, I like Aero for an inexpensive trouble-free build, minimum is a blem Aero receiver set, BA barrel, and Toolcraft nitride BCG. Have built several and 0 problems, Aero won't sell MECHANICAL blems, cosmetic only for a decent discount, and usually so minor they are hard to find what the blem was. BA barrels are about the least expensive that are finished well and in-spec, decent accuracy, but headspace can be a little tight and their gas ports tens to be on the smaller size. Toolcraft probably makes the majority of bolts out there, dozens of shops sell them as-is or add a coating that may or may not be in-spec, or put a laser marked logo. Anderson and PSA are usually OK, but have out of spec issues often enough that it's worth the cost for better stuff. Of course spend more for better stuff, or use less expensive furniture if you want to save money, but the BCG/receivers and barrel are the worst places to save money, and the best way to end up with an unreliable rifle that costs more to get running.

semiinc

Oct 19, 2020
    Extinguished member

Congrats on your twins.

I’m at the point in life where I dint buy cheap booze or inexpensive guns.

Sorry unable to help.

Love your reply and totally agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom