• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I didn't know about it because I wasn't looking at wheel guns back then. It started in 1992? Would you still buy SW revolvers knowing it is there?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Some of the J-frames don't have them now. Makes me think police buy enough and don't want them that they leave them off the J-frames at times.

I haven't, and won't buy one with it as they have opted to lock themselves under recoil. Rare, but it happens and I'm just not spending my money on things I don't like/want.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I don't like Hilary holes. I don't like that S&W rolled over for attempted political gain. I think revolvers suck for defensive use and are far outclassed by modern semi autos in reliability and ease of use.

That said, the locking issue is overblown. It shows up in airweight snubbies with defensive ammo mostly and worn out guns can have it happen also. Thats about it. On a 4 inch K frame the chances of the lock engaging unintentionally are infinetesimal and not enough to worry about. I'd buy one in a heartbeat because most people will walk past them and they're slow sellers which spells discount to me. Lawyers will say don't defeat a safety device. I say pay with a money order and say you bought it that way.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I don't like Hilary holes. I don't like that S&W rolled over for attempted political gain. I think revolvers suck for defensive use and are far outclassed by modern semi autos in reliability and ease of use.

S&W rolled over not just for political gain but they were hoping the alligator would eat them last. They brought a lot of resentment on the company because of that and many have long memories. Twenty years plus along since then has brought many buyers that don't remember that perceived (or actual) betrayal by S&W or care about it.

To be honest...while I refuse to buy a S&W with a Hillary Hole I have mixed feelings about the whole subject...when their corporate parent at the time (Thompkins) sold the gun company to Safe-T-Lock...a much smaller company...I bought all the Safe-T-Lock stock I could afford...and it proved quite profitable for me. So...while S&W sold out for political gain I...and I'm sure others...used that sell out for profit. There's always opportunities.

As for revolvers sucking for personal defense...no such thing is true. They've worked and worked well for many, many decades. Just because there's more and arguably better options today doesn't take anything away from the capabilities of a revolver. Use what suits you best.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    message-editor%2F1551897129538-training.jpg

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Air Force dog trainers are the last group in the US Air Force to use revolver in 2019.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Women in uniform are 25% more attractive
    Women in control of German Sheppard are 25% more attractive
    Women wielding a revolver are 25% more attractive

If she either drives a convertible or a motorcycle, she could be pushing 100% or more

python

Apr 15, 2010
    If you go on the S&W forum you'll find all sorts of opinions on revolvers with locks, MIM parts and everything else that might be wrong with their newer guns, especially those made after 1997. I don't buy new revolvers because the old ones are so nice. The most recent production gun I own was made in 1988 (625-2), and I bought it used. Many buyers of the guns with the internal lock have just resigned themselves to it being there and have learned to live with it. Quality control seems to S&W's biggest problem, along with spotty customer service. If you buy a new one, be sure to inspect it carefully, especially the finishing, the barrel being over- clocked and the mechanics. Their warranty is pretty good, but it would be better if the guns left the factory in proper condition in the first place.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    They don't all have them.

My 442 was bought last year and doesn't have one.

No I wouldn't get one with the lock, but that's just personal preference. I also don't buy guns with magazine disconnects, external safeties (unless its just a range toy) etc.

Feb 28, 2013
    I won't buy a S&W with a Hillary Hole...just a personal statement and policy. They rolled over for the Clintons...not gonna reward them for that.

I wont buy a damn Smith with or without the Hillary Hole

S&W can rot in Hell for all I care

Traitorous vermin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom