• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If I understand the situation correctly, there is no de facto long gun registry; the only contact is with an FFL, who presumably does a NICS check. It would be a huge, expensive PITA for the state to get all that data in a database.
    The Maryland back-door registration system for regulated firearms has long been known, and has been acknowledged by MSP in several ways. As soon as long guns start transferring through MSP, these too will be added to the illegal registry.

The best news is that, in a federal effort to keep us safe while they circumvent the Constitution and federal law, all NICS data goes to InterPol, where it is retained and available internationally and indefinitely:
    https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/pr...k-is-gathering-our-private-info-for-interpol/

Thank god for the FBI...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I still haven't seen COMAR on a law they are allegedly enforcing

So I asked my little bird about this and it may not be in COMAR yet, but is still enforceable under MD's Constitution if the text of the act is considered clear and not in need of regulatory explanation

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Since FFL03 has nothing to do with firearms less than 50 years old unless specifically BATF exempted, I think that is as clear as it needs to be. I would not poke the bear.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Since FFL03 has nothing to do with firearms less than 50 years old unless specifically BATF exempted, I think that is as clear as it needs to be. I would not poke the bear.
    No, the wording of the law is not clear as it appears to exempt FFL 03 license holders from needing to comply, not FFL 03 firearms.

I agree about not poking the bear, I'd be happy to take advantage of that feature. Perhaps that was the legislative intent. After all, FFL 03 license holders have already had several background checks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    After all, FFL 03 license holders have already had several background checks.

JUst like the background check for an HQL and then immediately after receiving it another background check and 7 day wait?
    LOL! If those assholes in Annapolis did something that made a little bit of sense it was an accident.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    :thumbsup:

If I had any rifles, or shotguns, and wanted to sell one to someone I know, I would.

Larry Hogan, and Brian Frosh can chew the bark off my big fat log.

Too bad I own no firearms.

Very simple. Don't sell anything to someone you suspect of being prohibited

or a rat.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    No, the wording of the law is not clear as it appears to exempt FFL 03 license holders from needing to comply, not FFL 03 firearms.

I agree about not poking the bear, I'd be happy to take advantage of that feature. Perhaps that was the legislative intent. After all, FFL 03 license holders have already had several background checks.

Regardless of how MD has it worded. On the federal level the FFL-03 is for C&R firearms. The state may not care but they would just as happily give you the rope to hang yourself on the federal level.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Regardless of how MD has it worded. On the federal level the FFL-03 is for C&R firearms. The state may not care but they would just as happily give you the rope to hang yourself on the federal level.

By Federal law, in-state transfers of long guns isn’t in in their purview. If a state wants to use the possession of a C&R FFL as the indicator you don’t need a further background check, that is their prerogative and doesn’t run afoul of any Federal laws.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup:

If I had any rifles, or shotguns, and wanted to sell one to someone I know, I would.

Larry Hogan, and Brian Frosh can chew the bark off my big fat log.

Too bad I own no firearms.

Hector Cyr approves of this post...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    By Federal law, in-state transfers of long guns isn’t in in their purview. If a state wants to use the possession of a C&R FFL as the indicator you don’t need a further background check, that is their prerogative and doesn’t run afoul of any Federal laws.

I think Californiaistan allows FFL03 to purchase ammo across state lines just like 01 etc.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County

If that's the case, sign me up for an FFL 03

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Maryland back-door registration system for regulated firearms has long been known, and has been acknowledged by MSP in several ways. As soon as long guns start transferring through MSP, these too will be added to the illegal registry.

The best news is that, in a federal effort to keep us safe while they circumvent the Constitution and federal law, all NICS data goes to InterPol, where it is retained and available internationally and indefinitely:
    https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/pr...k-is-gathering-our-private-info-for-interpol/

Thank god for the FBI...

That isn’t even what that says. Interpol gets your name and address if it turns out you match their fugitive file.

All Interpol members notify Interpol if anyone on their red list comes to a member country’s attention. That allows them to request an extradition/arrest if the notifying country’s laws would allow.

If you don’t, they don’t get anything.

The reason why it wouldn’t prohibit the transfer is the law says you are only prohibited if you are a fugitive from US justice, not foreign justice. But Ammo lands description of people on interpols fugitive file as not having committed or suspected of committing crimes that would be a crime in the US is wrong. Mostly they would be crimes in the US. If that does turn out to be the case, in the vast majority of cases if the Interpol member requests the arrest and extradition of the person, the US will comply as our extradition treaties are only honored if the accused supposedly violated a crime
    That would be recognized in the US. Which means we won’t extradite someone to Thailand for insulting the monarch for example as that isn’t a crime here. But we would for bank robbery.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    can transfers of long guns be done at MD SP barracks also? or high cost FFL's only...
    No. Only FFLs because only FFLs have access to the NICS database for long gun sales. Maryland is a partial contact state under which the MSP does the NICS check only on handgun sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom