What gun projects did you abandon or will never finish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    2012 got the urge to get FAL,G3 and another M1A receiver prior to the 2013 BS law for future builds. Ended up skipping the G3 which I wish I hadn't. Ended up going way overboard almost by accident on FAL parts though. Ended up with 2 NOS consecutive # Imbel and an early unbuilt DS upper. Two Argentine kits made from stripped new rifles minus upper receiver and matching barrel. Came with new no # barrels. A third mixed Imbel kit. Had 20 NIW mags plus probably as many new aftermarket. Wanted to do at least one of the 3 as a PARA, so ended up with 2 NOS Imbel Para lowers,2 NOS bolts and 2 DSA folding stocks along with a NOS Imbel barrel. So enough parts to do 3 complete guns. Set up a bench, bought several specialized tools, Gunplumbers how to video and book and just stalled from there. Rethought it all and decided I was going to do the mixed Imbel kit as the Para to look like a battlefield pickup beater and not the rifles. Traded the Argy kits and Imbel barrel off to get the parts purge started. Ended up trading for other type build kits that I didn't keep. Then said the hell with it all and sold the uppers,mags,tools and the other remaining parts and kit outright as a package. That was most of the aborted FAL build and thought process.

M1A much of the same. Fulton receiver. Most of a really nice TRW kit,minus barrel and flash hider. Again,ended up with 2 NOS TRW stripped bolts even though I only needed 1. Ordered a "Presentation Grade" Big Red Birch from Fred's. Found a NOS Birch E2 that I just had to have to justify driving to the gunshow so I bought it. Got hung up deciding on the barrel so haven't moved on with the build. Been a little more hesitant to completely abandon this one but have been thinking more lately of just offloading the parts. Not likely to complete it either.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have an AK74 - US receiver, full and very nice polish parts kit, and the 922r parts sitting in a box just needing assembly. But I am in over my head to attempt it myself without buying a bunch of tooling (and worried about destroying it being out of my depth).

I keep telling myself one of these days - but I’m like a squirrel when it comes to this stuff and quickly find something shiny and new (or not very shiny and used) that distracts my attention...

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I have a 80% 1911 frame that hasn't been touched. Mostly because I don't have the machining tools needed to complete it, but also partly because the tight tolerances needed on that build frighten me somewhat :lol2:

I've also been talking about getting a barrel threaded for a brake for about 8 years now...one day I'll actually do it.

I have a rusty BT-99 in pieces that I really want to finish.....

Damn, I was just looking at gunbroker at 99's. I'd like to pick one up one day.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have an AK74 - US receiver, full and very nice polish parts kit, and the 922r parts sitting in a box just needing assembly. But I am in over my head to attempt it myself without buying a bunch of tooling (and worried about destroying it being out of my depth).

I keep telling myself one of these days - but I’m like a squirrel when it comes to this stuff and quickly find something shiny and new (or not very shiny and used) that distracts my attention...
    I had an AK receiver and a Russian parts kit. I ultimately had Duffy's gunsmith build it for me. He did a really nice job.
    I have a 80% 1911 frame that hasn't been touched. Mostly because I don't have the machining tools needed to complete it, but also partly because the tight tolerances needed on that build frighten me somewhat :lol2:

I've also been talking about getting a barrel threaded for a brake for about 8 years now...one day I'll actually do it.

Damn, I was just looking at gunbroker at 99's. I'd like to pick one up one day.

If you ever want to finish it, plan a Saturday to come to Bel Air. I have the Matrix precision jigs. It could not be easier. You can have the slide fit to the barrel in a few hours. The rest you can finish from home with the right files and stones. 1911's are a lot of fun. All I ask is that you wear assless chaps when you are working. It's a fetish....

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If you ever want to finish it, plan a Saturday to come to Bel Air. I have the Matrix precision jigs. It could not be easier. You can have the slide fit to the barrel in a few hours. The rest you can finish from home with the right files and stones. 1911's are a lot of fun. All I ask is that you wear assless chaps when you are working. It's a fetish....

It's a date! :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Actuslly that's not awful

Do you buy them with the ramp cut already? Looks like it's an option to not have it cut

There are a lot barrels that have the ramp integrated, and you don't need to cut a ramp in the frame.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    When cleaning out my late fathers place I came upon a completely disassembled Stevens visible loader .22 pump rifle from the '20's in a paper bag. Every 5 years or so I get it out, figure out the couple bits I need to put it back together and then get discouraged because it would cost way more than it's worth for a small handful of doo-dads to put it back together.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Mine is a Marlin 25s I wanted to bring back to shooting condition. It's a pump action gallery gun only produced in 1909/10. I worked on it enough to get it firing a single shot at a time but have an issue with feeding from the mag tube. One of these days I'll get back to it.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Mine project is a 6.5 Grendel build. Had been slowly building “top of line” precision build, just needed a barrel and was going between lengths when The rona struck. Went to order a barrel and could not get what I wanted so kicked the can a little. Now with the vanishing of 6.5G ammo just have lost interest and will pick up if ever can find decent supply of food for it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mine project is a 6.5 Grendel build. Had been slowly building “top of line” precision build, just needed a barrel and was going between lengths when The rona struck. Went to order a barrel and could not get what I wanted so kicked the can a little. Now with the vanishing of 6.5G ammo just have lost interest and will pick up if ever can find decent supply of food for it.

On the bright side, if you have no barrel, you could 6mm ARC or any of the new superstar calibers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom