• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You sell yourself waaay short. Excellent vid.

Another great match and better company, Squad 4 rocks the house, baby! :party29:

Well, it is the Cool Kids squad....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    First off - great squad 4 video and another great match, as the lone voice of squad 1.

A few of us were gonna at least spectate at 3 gun Saturday. Though I’ve watched part of a match before and there are still a ton of empty spots, so I’m thinking about bringing my AR and signing up to do it as 2-gun. There’s nothing quite like trying something new and totally sucking at it for awhile. Anything in particular I need to know if I take the plunge? I don’t even have a mag holder for my p-mags but Josh was saying with the low round count I’d be good using my back pocket.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    First off - great squad 4 video and another great match, as the lone voice of squad 1.

A few of us were gonna at least spectate at 3 gun Saturday. Though I’ve watched part of a match before and there are still a ton of empty spots, so I’m thinking about bringing my AR and signing up to do it as 2-gun. There’s nothing quite like trying something new and totally sucking at it for awhile. Anything in particular I need to know if I take the plunge? I don’t even have a mag holder for my p-mags but Josh was saying with the low round count I’d be good using my back pocket.

You have the right idea here. We have first timers at almost every match and are pretty darn newbie friendly. We have the 2 gun division just for this reason as many who would like to get involved do not have a shotgun that is suitable for 3 gun.

You can certainly use your back pocket for your AR magazines. I remember my first experience with 3 gun like it was yesterday. While I had a pistol mag pouch, my pockets were all full of AR mags and shotgun shells. I was absolutely horrible that day but did not care because I had the greatest time. I spent the next month researching equipment and with very little guidance bought mostly all of the wrong stuff. That should not be an issue for you today, as we have lots of people around to help guide you (or sell/lend you the stuff that they decided to upgrade).

Here is what you or anyone new to AGC 3 Gun needs to keep in mind.

1. You need a gun specific retention holster, preferably not a Fobus. Retention is defined as the gun will not fall out of the holster if it were to be hung upside down without any hoods or hooks engaged. Hot guns that fall on the ground will cause the shooter to be DQ'd and sent home for the day. It has happened to most all of us. Again, this is not Falling Steel and you are moving, sometimes running from position to position. That gun is not allowed to bounce out.

2. There is a lot more going on in multi gun events than say Falling Steel. You are moving from position to position, changing guns, strategizing, etc. It is imperative that your primary focus is on the 4 Rules of firearm safety and not all of that stuff above. It can be so easy to get ahead of yourself and to not focus on the muzzle of your firearms as well as keeping your finger out of the trigger housing until you have a sight picture. These two fatal errors will also earn a shooter a DQ.

3. While at the match, talk to as many other shooters as you can. Most everyone is more than happy to share stories, strategies, talk about their equipment purchases (good and bad), etc. Be sure to talk to both ROs and let them know that you are a virgin. They will appreciate you doing so and it will help them to help you.

4. Always follow the instructions of the RO on your squad (guy holding the blue timer). Do not handle/load/unload any firearms until instructed to do so. Failing to do this is another way to earn a DQ.

5. Have a good attitude and TAKE YOUR TIME when it is your turn to shoot. There will be plenty of matches in the future for you to improve your skills and become more competitive. Realize that everyone was a first timer at some point. We love to see new shooters and it has been amazing to watch them grow over the years.

6. Consider bringing shotgun shells. We can find someone on your squad to loan you a shotgun to try if you like.

The long and the short of it is that you don't need a bunch of equipment to try 2 or 3 Gun. You just need guns, ammo, holster, 2 mags for each gun, wrap around eyes, ears, a good attitude, and plenty of rest the night before.

I hope that helps. Feel free to reach out matchdirector@agcrange.org if you have any other questions.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nice vid! Must have taped the phone to the top of your boot for some of those under the action shots. Do you mind if I share this to my FB group?

Sent using Tapatalk

Great video, love the different angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    You have the right idea here. We have first timers at almost every match and are pretty darn newbie friendly. We have the 2 gun division just for this reason as many who would like to get involved do not have a shotgun that is suitable for 3 gun.

You can certainly use your back pocket for your AR magazines. I remember my first experience with 3 gun like it was yesterday. While I had a pistol mag pouch, my pockets were all full of AR mags and shotgun shells. I was absolutely horrible that day but did not care because I had the greatest time. I spent the next month researching equipment and with very little guidance bought mostly all of the wrong stuff. That should not be an issue for you today, as we have lots of people around to help guide you (or sell/lend you the stuff that they decided to upgrade).

1. You need a gun specific retention holster, preferably not a Fobus. Retention is defined as the gun will not fall out of the holster if it were to be hung upside down without any hoods or hooks engaged. Hot guns that fall on the ground will cause the shooter to be DQ'd and sent home for the day. It has happened to most all of us. Again, this is not Falling Steel and you are moving, sometimes running from position to position. That gun is not allowed to bounce out.

2. There is a lot more going on in multi gun events than say Falling Steel. You are moving from position to position, changing guns, strategizing, etc. It is imperative that your primary focus is on the 4 Rules of firearm safety and not all of that stuff above. It can be so easy to get ahead of yourself and to not focus on the muzzle of your firearms as well as keeping your finger out of the trigger housing until you have a sight picture. These two fatal errors will also earn a shooter a DQ.

3. While at the match, talk to as many other shooters as you can. Most everyone is more than happy to share stories, strategies, talk about their equipment purchases (good and bad), etc. Be sure to talk to both ROs and let them know that you are a virgin. They will appreciate you doing so and it will help them to help you.

4. Always follow the instructions of the RO on your squad (guy holding the blue timer). Do not handle/load/unload any firearms until instructed to do so. Failing to do this is another way to earn a DQ.

5. Have a good attitude and TAKE YOUR TIME when it is your turn to shoot. There will be plenty of matches in the future for you to improve your skills and become more competitive. Realize that everyone was a first timer at some point. We love to see new shooters and it has been amazing to watch them grow over the years.

6. Consider bringing shotgun shells. We can find someone on your squad to loan you a shotgun to try if you like.

The long and the short of it is that you don't need a bunch of equipment to try 2 or 3 Gun. You just need guns, ammo, holster, 2 mags for each gun, wrap around eyes, ears, a good attitude, and plenty of rest the night before.

I hope that helps. Feel free to reach out matchdirector@agcrange.org if you have any other questions.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I’m good on #1, handgun-wise I’m basically set up for IDPA.

Excellent post. This needs to be a sticky.
    Once I'm fully healed, I'm going to take the plunge.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    Well, this is what happens when I only bring the iPhone for a camera, and then only kind of pay attention to getting any video. Still, a couple minutes of flavor from Squad Four for those who wonder how these things go:

Nice Video! Really missed being on the Coolest Squad this month, but alas MrsDDS needed tending. Looking forward to next month!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

This is what I did. Started with a 2 gun match, I had most of what I needed for this except for an AR mag pouch, I just put an extra AR mag in by back pocket for this. You shouldn't even need it, I just carried one in case of a malfunction.
    Just take you time and have fun. The squads are easygoing and always happy to help new shooters.
    A word of warning however, when I shot my first 2 gun match I got tired of shooting the small steel targets on stands with a pistol, it pissed me off enough that I went out the next week and bought a Stoeger 3-gun shotgun............and then a new gun belt.......different holster........AR mag holder......
    Stuff happens LOL

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    This is what I did. Started with a 2 gun match, I had most of what I needed for this except for an AR mag pouch, I just put an extra AR mag in by back pocket for this. You shouldn't even need it, I just carried one in case of a malfunction.
    Just take you time and have fun. The squads are easygoing and always happy to help new shooters.
    A word of warning however, when I shot my first 2 gun match I got tired of shooting the small steel targets on stands with a pistol, it pissed me off enough that I went out the next week and bought a Stoeger 3-gun shotgun............and then a new gun belt.......different holster........AR mag holder......
    Stuff happens LOL

I’ve been saving up money for a year not really spending on anything except a couple guns and a bunch of ammo, so I’m ready to do some more shopping. Decent shotgun is next on the list.

I’m all signed up and on squad 1, got a friend there to help keep me (literally) pointed in the right direction.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    And we will welcome you back with open arms. Once in the Squad 4 Family always in the Squad 4 Family. :thumbsup:

Appreciate it...and a worthy family member I shall strive to be! I may not be the fastest at hitting the steel, but I proved to be pretty good at hitting the hole in the top of the barrel on a mag dump a few months ago. :innocent0

Will be a good time!
    Hope she's feeling better.

Thanks, she's back to herself again!

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Hey, saw that I can shoot a 22lr clone in IDPA, just have a question (might be a dumb one, sorry)

At the end of every IDPA string we drop the mag, rack and pull the trigger at the berm... Is there a different procedure with rimfire? Was going to bring an m&p 22 pistol but the dry firing might jack it up unless I do it with the slide out of battery.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hey, saw that I can shoot a 22lr clone in IDPA, just have a question (might be a dumb one, sorry)

At the end of every IDPA string we drop the mag, rack and pull the trigger at the berm... Is there a different procedure with rimfire? Was going to bring an m&p 22 pistol but the dry firing might jack it up unless I do it with the slide out of battery.

I’d imagine the RO would be happy seeing you insert an ECI and letting the bolt go to hold it down.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    It sure was good to meet everyone on Squad 4. My daughter and I learned a bunch and had lots of fun doing it. Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome that gave her a boost. I must say the video posted on YouTube is really slick and made it easy to share the experience with friends. Looking forward to burning more powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom