• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CalgarisRex

Apr 8, 2021
    I've always wanted a .308, so I finally broke down and ordered one. I totally admit that I'm not really knowledgeable about the AR platform generally, so I'm wondering what resources are available to read about the platform and learn about it so that I have at least basic knowledge when the rifle shows up in a couple of months. Figured it would be better to show a little humility and admit my lack of knowledge haha.

I'd like to know what I should be paying attention to in terms of cleaning/servicing, how the gas system works and how to adjust it, and I'm sure a myriad of other topics related to the rifle that I'm currently unaware of. I have some very basic experience breaking down simple long guns like Marlin .22s and Winchester 1300s but I'm definitely a novice. Take pity on me and help a guy out!

Ordered an ADM UIC-10A 18" if that makes any difference. I'd heard very nice things about it generally.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That’s a nice rifle, should be a good shooter. The main thing you’ll likely need to deal with is the gas settings. A blessing and a curse of .308 is that it is so variable in nature. One guy could be shooting 220gr hand loads while another could be using 110gr varmint loads. Yet another could be using 150gr steel cased ammo. Those would all likely require different gas settings, but the SLR sentry is a pretty user friendly gas block. SLR has a good website and their customer service is very good, so if you have any trouble adjusting it, I would contact them directly.

Other than that, keep an eye out for a rough or sticky chamber (unlikely with a criterion barrel), chewed up extractor (as in it will literally look chewed up), brass filings clogging up your firing pin channel (unlikely with .308 unless you are shooting very hot loads), and check the threads where the lower mates with the buffer tube periodically to make sure the carrier isn’t bottoming out and chewing them up. ADM makes good rifles, but they can’t predict what type of .308 anyone will shoot, and the adjustable gas block means the user can accidentally overgas the system to the point that the system unlocks prematurely.

CalgarisRex

Apr 8, 2021
    The guy who eventually sold me on the rifle (I originally was going for a 6.5 Creedmoor M1A) actually owns the same rifle, and he recommended starting with 165-175 grain ammo. With the shortage at the moment I went ahead and picked up some Federal Premium 165 gr., which as I understand is a moderate load. I was looking for a reasonable jack-of-all-trades rifle (obviously the .308 might be overkill in some situations, but I'm okay with that), so at the moment I don't feel like I really need to be getting into heavier powder loads.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That should work fine once you get the gas adjusted. Once you get the hang of what the rifle likes and does not like, there will be no reason to baby it.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I think the AR was a better choice than the M1a. Better aftermarket equipment available and at less cost.
    Have fun.

CalgarisRex

Apr 8, 2021
    I would still have gone for the M1A if I could have had it in .308, but the guy talked me out of it in the 6.5. He told me if I was actually interested in that round I should just get a bolt action, but I was in the market for a semi.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M1A/M14 is classic...it can be tuned for awesome performance. Today though...it's pretty much left in the dust by the AR platform which is lighter, shorter, more easily maneuvered, equally accurate with less effort, less felt recoil, more modular and a far greater array of options that are usually much less expensive.

AR-10 for the win.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That is one of the best AR10s you can buy, flat out it checks every box, congrats, it's a sweet rifle. It's a good ambi billet receiver set on the AR10/Armalite pattern. The right side bolt catch is really nice when shooting from a bench. The SSA, Talon selector and Raptor charging handle are probably the best all around for anything, good for targets or action competition, rugged enough for defense. It's a Criterion barrel with an SLR gas block, probably the best mid-priced stuff before you get into expensive custom parts and fitting work. They go with a proper buffer setup, and a quality build with good warranty/service, so you avoid most of the common issues AR10s have out of the box, and they will fix any other issues. Adjusting the block is relatively easy, close it all the way, open it probably 5 clicks out, load 1 round in a mag, fire. If it doesn't lock back, open a click and try again, if it locks back, close it till you find the setting where it doesn't. Once you find the minimum setting where it locks back, add 2 clicks, and should be fine unless you make a large ammo change or add a suppressor, then might have to readjust. For maintenence, it's similar to an AR15, same lube points and cleaning practices, but be sure to completely close the gas block and open it back to your setting every year or so.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a quick, probably silly question about the ADM rifle: any standard AR-10 mag will fit, yes?

SR-25 pattern magazines are what fit. Don't get Armalite pattern magazines, those won't fit (SR-25 magazines and AR-10 pattern rifles that take SR-25 magazines are significantly more common than Armalite AR-10 pattern magazines).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom