• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Tossing ideas around of how to build a cheap "walk in" cooler. By walk in, I mean to be able to hang 2 deer)) It will only be used if temps are warm during hunting season to allow the deer to be hung longer until I can process them. I've read up on coolbot and they seem like a good option if trying to make a walk in cooler with a window a/c unit, but are pricey. I've also read of how people use inkbirds to make their own. With digital a/c units you can only set to be so cold, but would the older knob style a/c units would it work for my intended use? Could I just turn the A/C to Max cool and Fan to get the temps low in the cooler than turn it back to say mid way to help it maintain the temp? Would it still ice up? Not looking to maintain a certain temp to the degree, just keep the meat chilled.

Another thought I had was if I were to put the AC on a timer where it would run for 1-2 hrs than turn off for 1 hr at a time maybe that would help prevent it from freezing up but also help keep it cool enough?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The trick is, you need something with thermostat control to keep the temperature at safe levels. You have to keep the interior of the unit between 35 and 45*F at all times to prevent spoilage. Once you go over 45*F the amount of bacteria doubles every 20 minutes.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Could I just turn the A/C to Max cool and Fan to get the temps low in the cooler than turn it back to say mid way to help it maintain the temp? Would it still ice up? Not looking to maintain a certain temp to the degree, just keep the meat chilled.

Another thought I had was if I were to put the AC on a timer where it would run for 1-2 hrs than turn off for 1 hr at a time maybe that would help prevent it from freezing up but also help keep it cool enough?

Short answer: No. Of course a lot would depend on outside temperature, but if it's cold outside, you don't need the walk in as much.

Walk in's run all the time to keep the temp 34-38, which is ideal for hanging meat. So running an AC unit (which at best can get to 62) won't get you there. You need one of the controllers to drop the temperature, which aren't all that expensive. One thing to watch out for with newer AC units is that if the power is interrupted, the unit shut off and either doesn't come back on automatically, or comes back on at a higher temp. That would ruin meat in a hurry. That's why they recommend slightly older units when running one of the controllers.

I sell walk in boxes and I used to have access to one for deer season. It was AWESOME to have.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Honestly your best bet to do it cheap and cobbled together is taking something like a fridge, removing the door and making an extremely well insulated walk in box and attaching the fridge to it. It is going to be real slow getting to temp though and if you don't seal it well or don't insulate it well is going to struggle to maintain temperature.

IMHO your best bet is just get a large fridge, remove the shelves and you can hang a couple of quartered out deer in there just fine. Or get an upright chest freezer and run it with a controller so it can be at a warmer temperature, and then you might fit a couple of deer without needing to quartering them out. My neighbor just quick quarters them and throws the quarters and back straps in his fridge and doesn't bother with hanging the whole carcass. Not as efficient meat wise, but you can deal with it whenever you want and can easily fit several deer that way in a fridge.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    As Lazarus said, a large fridge works.

For 1 deer you can just take out the shelves and stuff it in there. When I got 2 deer the same day a couple of years ago I had to quarter them to get them in there. Sturdy wire racks are good to put the quarters on so air circulates on all sides.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Both Lazarus and Growler seem to have a good idea here. Look for a cosmetically damaged big refrigerator and pull all the shelves. Most people will sell a scratched, rusted, or dented fridge that cost them thousands for a few hundred bucks if it's ugly enough.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Inkbird will work just fine.
    It will run the ac if temp get to high.
    It can run a little heater if temp gets to cold. (Radiator oil filled or whatever)
    Easy to set up the temps, plug it in and sit back!
    I've been using one for a fridge to lager beer in for over a year. ;)

Ink Bird

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Both Lazarus and Growler seem to have a good idea here. Look for a cosmetically damaged big refrigerator and pull all the shelves. Most people will sell a scratched, rusted, or dented fridge that cost them thousands for a few hundred bucks if it's ugly enough.
    I like that idea too. I just got rid of a perfectly functional fridge/freezer. Woulda been perfect.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have been using a fridge for years for cooling and aging deer.It works ok,but I always wish I had more elbow room. I like it when the silver skin dries quick in cold weather when hanging in my garage. I think it helps keep moisture in the meat. It takes longer in the fridge,even with a small fan running for that to happen.

Every way has its pros and cons tho

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I agree with the old fridge and Quartered deer. I have one in my garage with a home made rack that will hold an entire deer on meat hooks and a 30 pack of beer :D

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have my Master HVACR license and have pieced together small walk in coolers to large refrigerated warehouses. A window A/C unit is a waste and only maintains low 60's. The cheapest way to go is buy an older used walkin cooler and mainly the aluminum 4' wide panels. Even if used you can piece them together if cam locks are broken. You can silicone foam at end panels and connect and trim the seam with metal. You will definitely need a small used Condenser unit and Evaporator coil. I have been thinking of doing it myself. You can cheat on the wall and ceiling panels as they are like $300 each 4x8 panel new. You can disguise a small shed and install several inches thick of foam inside to insulate. You still need a condenser unit and hang an evaporator coil inside and pipe them together and run circuits for electric. This is the only safe way to maintain 34 to 39 degrees safe temp. You go cheap and you are wasting your time.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Also try to purchase a used three or two door commercial cooler for a restaurant. These things are easy to find now because all of the restaurants closing and failing because of Covid closings. You can hang several deer in one of these.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I entertained picking up a portable walk-in unit some time ago. Unless one is doing quite a bit of meat, they can become costly to run.

Several friends of mine just do the quartering and place in the fridge method.

Now not to hijack the thread. I have two Cospolich chest units. They are designed to be used for refrigeration or for freezing. They have adjustable thermostats and can be adjusted from a low of around -20 to 45 above. They are 25 cubic feet in size and are all stainless steel. I tested one unit and it was set for refrigeration. It would chill to around 35 degrees. I believe it may be a little low on refrigerant but didn’t put any gauges on it. The other is as I picked it up. They use R-404 refrigerant, so it isn’t an expensive, hard to get, kind of stuff. They are just too big for my needs.

I would like to find them a new home. Ley’s just say the price will be more than fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom