• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So this morning I let the chickens out and the dog starts barking at the neighbor pasture. I'm like "It's just a cow, cut it out." Then I see it's not and its a deer. I get the wife and walk right up on it.

Wildlife guy came out and put her down and said likely Abscess, Cyst in the brain or head trauma. He covers several counties and said he sees this 2 or 3 times a day!!!

Hoping this FB video posts here.
    https://www.facebook.com/archeryrob/videos/pcb.10212721730517524/10212721728797481/?type=3&theater

And walking in circles
    https://www.facebook.com/275d3d52-8433-41e8-9332-3f44c053ad18

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I can't see the video at work. I had a video on my old phone of a 7pt literally walking in circles over and over again for almost an hour. He would stumble around, certainly not "sure footed". He made his way to a small creek, stood in the creek and laid his head on the embankment. It was sad to watch actually. I asked my uncle if I could cull it, but he said no.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    That is EXACTLY like the buck I saw several years ago. SAD to see. DNR mentioned 2-3/day? Something has to be the cause...can't all be head trauma, abscess etc

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is EXACTLY like the buck I saw several years ago. SAD to see. DNR mentioned 2-3/day? Something has to be the cause...can't all be head trauma, abscess etc

2-3 a day over a geographic area of a couple thousand square miles or more that the guy is getting calls for isn’t that often. Also I suspect an exaggeration and/or not identical causes or behaviors.

If you had 30,000 humans, how many are going to have dementia, Alzheimer’s, autism, Down syndrome, etc. etc.

I am going to guess hundreds

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    2-3 a day over a geographic area of a couple thousand square miles or more that the guy is getting calls for isn’t that often. Also I suspect an exaggeration and/or not identical causes or behaviors.

If you had 30,000 humans, how many are going to have dementia, Alzheimer’s, autism, Down syndrome, etc. etc.

I am going to guess hundreds

2-3/day= 520-780 a year over a few counties? There are 24 counties in Maryland, I'll assume a few to mean 3..so state wide its a multiplier of 8. In this case that is 4k-6k on a yearly basis. Estimates varying for population size in Maryland, but one site quoted 207k deer. As a % that's only 2-3% of total deer population, not horribly alarming, agreed.

However, these are only the deer that are being reported. I'm sure there are other cases like mine where the behavior is observed and not reported. Add in the rural areas where some deer could display the conditions and not be observed or reported.

I wouldn't have expected DNR to say they see a few of those a year, not a few a day.

Dr Dano HPR

Mar 4, 2013
    Towson
    Thought I saw on one of those shows about Maine Game Wardens. "North Woods Law something?" There was a moose walking in circles until they put it down. Some kind of virus or parasite that attacked the brain, I believe. Will have see if I can find video.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    DNR said she would have been skinny already for it to be CWD. They really thought it is brain trauma or pressure from a growth. Possible other disease and one referenced seeing distemper in deer and raccoons.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    For what it's worth, the brain worm that attacks moose is present in whitetail, however they are immune to the effects of it. The brain worm co-evolved with the whitetail on this continent. Moose were the last of the cervid species to cross the land bridge, and are very susceptible to the worm. As whitetail populations have boomed and spread, its had an adverse effect on Moose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom