• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Interested in acquiring a M1893 or M1895 7mm Mauser. Noticed ammo for the 7mm Mauser seems to be pretty available in the U.S.

Ive seen Spanish Mausers and Chilean Mausers. Which tend to be better built?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Czech made Brazilian Modelo 08/34 short rifle in the original 7mm. Very handy little carbine.

Of course, it's built on a '98 action. Don't rule out a nice Brazilian.

attachment.php

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    I have a Czech made Brazilian Modelo 08/34 short rifle in the original 7mm. Very handy little carbine.

Of course, it's built on a '98 action. Don't rule out a nice Brazilian.

attachment.php

Looking mainly for the 1893 or 1895 variety with the cock on close action. Have a number of M98 Mauser varients in my collection. Dont have much from the M93 or M95 varieties. Only a Swedish M96 to be exact.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    In my experience, it's much easier to find a good condition 1893 or 1895 Chilean Mauser than a Spanish Mauser.

My Chilean 1893 is a great shooter with some interesting history behind it. It is also in excellent condition.

The only issue is the 400m zero is a pain at 100 yards.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Interested in acquiring a M1893 or M1895 7mm Mauser. Noticed ammo for the 7mm Mauser seems to be pretty available in the U.S.

Ive seen Spanish Mausers and Chilean Mausers. Which tend to be better built?

For shooting look for one with the round bolt face in the front m95. You can tell an action designed with the round bolt mods built into it that has a 93 bolt by the way the extractor comes off the bolt.
    The claw extractor rotates opposite the direction until it lines up with the guide clearance slots for removal and come right off with much pressure.
    Some even have push button magazine removal hinged plates and are generally found on the Loewe and Mauser built actions which are better made than the three Spanish factories.
    You can tell looking at them side by side fit and finish is better. It can be a little tedious to find one that has good bore condition, German made and has not been altered in one form or another but their out there.
    7x57 is a great cartridge, low trajectory wit 139's and low recoil with good killing effect.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    You can also look for Venezuelan, Brazilian, and Uruguayan in 7mm. I own a Brazilian calvary carbine and love it. Conditions on the above vary. Usually most people start with a Chilean Mauser in 7x57.

Edit to add: I have the Mausers of the World reference book in case you get an example and want more information.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Hope this is ok to post.

A friend just inherited this Mauser, I can't tell much about it. Hoping the eyes here could help determine more about it, I think it's a 7mm, but details of age and value I cannot determine.

Attachments

• 9D4DBEC7-1907-4DC3-B301-20CFD3F66C02.jpg
      9D4DBEC7-1907-4DC3-B301-20CFD3F66C02.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 388

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    We need a clear picture of the markings on the left receiver rail and on the receiver top. Even that won't necessarily guarantee determining what it's currently chambered for.

BTW, the stock has been sporterized.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hope this is ok to post.

A friend just inherited this Mauser, I can't tell much about it. Hoping the eyes here could help determine more about it, I think it's a 7mm, but details of age and value I cannot determine.

Looks like a Spanish M1916. You can tell by the length and the gas escape hole on the left side of the receiver. Probably in 7x57 Mauser unless it was one of the ones converted to 7.62 or some other bubba conversion.

Value is probably $100 or less. Not particularly valuable or sought after in it’s original configuration anyway. Sportered versions are near worthless as anything except a shooter.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looks like a Spanish M1916. You can tell by the length and the gas escape hole on the left side of the receiver. Probably in 7x57 Mauser unless it was one of the ones converted to 7.62 or some other bubba conversion.

Value is probably $100 or less. Not particularly valuable or sought after in it’s original configuration anyway. Sportered versions are near worthless as anything except a shooter.

The 7.62 NATO Guardia Civil conversions are regularly selling for ~$300-$400 on GB last I checked, so not chump change like they used to be. That said, yeah, Bubba done got his hands on this one. Looks like the front sight protectors are missing, stock is chopped, can't really tell but the BBL might even be cut? Looks ridden hard and put away wet to be sure.

Closer pictures of the top of chamber, front sight and muzzle crown, & action as a whole would all help in positive ID.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have a Spanish M1916 and a Remington Rolling Block Model 1901. The 1901 is one of my favorite rifles. The 1916 is ok but not my favorite.

I used to have a Brazilian 1908 and it was very nice, but traded it for something much more valuable.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

BTW, the stock has been sporterized.

Yep, all of the above and MilsurpDan is spot on as usual. Sure looks to me like the rifle was originally an M1916 Spanish Mauser likely chambered in 7mm Mauser. SAMCO sold a lot of them re-chambered in 7.62 NATO pretty cheap a while back. I have one of them. So, definitely check to see what you actually have.

I picked up this original 7mm "contraption" at a gun show for $75 back then. I felt sorry for it so it became a restoration project. I gotta say Bubba has no limits when he gets to an old relic. His "coat hanger" sling swivel was ingenious. And adding Kennedy half dollar inlays in the butt stock? Priceless... :lol2:

Fun projects and shooters? Yep. Beyond that? Not much.

Attachments

• DSC06008.jpg
      DSC06008.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 187
    • DSC06009.jpg
      DSC06009.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 195
    • DSC06015.jpg
      DSC06015.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 201
    • Restored L 03 (03_24_2012).jpg
      Restored L 03 (03_24_2012).jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 193

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have a 1895 Chilean that shoots the bull at 100yards consistently , I even handed it to my buddy straightbolt and he started banging the bull with it. The funny thing is I had bought that rifle from Samco just before they went under and i didnt shoot it, I tried to sell it here in the classifieds and no one would buy it . I finally took it to the range and low and behold its a bullseye queen. Damn happy none of you guys took me up on it.:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom